Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

cwcriner

02-03-2014

Can SR get some decent music?

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

02-03-2014
56 of 97 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by exec3 View Post
I thought the laser range was well defined, step on the steps and you get a laser to the face. Laser range was more an issue with the other maps particularly HA I thought.

Also you didn't bold any of the texts.

I should clarify, this is post 1 of 12. There have been almost 200 unique suggestions in this thread I want to give all of them their due respect. The ones in bold come later.

The suggestion about the laser turret was that If we make changes, dont make a change that would wreck the readability of the laser-range.

XxJohnnyOxX

02-03-2014

I really love this thread, so many amazing ideas!!!!!

RiotForScience

02-04-2014
57 of 97 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcriner View Post
Can SR get some decent music?
I am going to try to talk our audio guys into visiting this thread to solicit feedback

Moving forward with condensing feedback here is the next block of issues. Again points without asterix are basic great ideas. Ones with asterix are things that I need to give some clarity on.

16. The minions need a VU
17. We should flip the golem camp so that they face the other direction***
18. More destructible content like HA
19. Make SR look like the beta-site background Illustration***
20. Make brush move dynamically
21. Add damage states to the turrets
22. More variety in tree types
23. There needs to be a clear (but not clean) boundary between terrain and path
24. The River needs to make more sense
25. The different sections of the map need slightly different themes
26. There needs to be SFX for walking through grass or water ***
27. The terrain could get more worn as the game progresses ***
28. The houses feel really unnatural in the forest, the statues donít make much sense
29. Summonerís Rift needs to actually feel like a Rift
30. Trees should wobble when you shoot a skillshot through them ***

Concerning the idea of flipping golem camp. Stone Bros serve a function of allowing additional farm when your lane is pushed. However, due to the meta this gives a distinct advantage to duo-bot lanes. Part of the reason why we added the Wight-camp is to mitigate this concern. Hopefully we solved the problem, but not in the way you were expecting.

Concerning the forum background illustration. I have written about this quite a lot. This image was created without the context of gameplay concerns so is not the best basis for a hypothetical new iteration of the map. It is crucial that all of our content be very readable and clear. This image is beautiful, but does not do what we need.

"there needs to be SFX for walking through grass or water" Yes, absolutely... eventually... I read on the forums about how players can get frustrated by how long it takes us to add pretty simple tech to our game. The simple answer is that there is a "Tech-debt" backlog that needs to get cleared before we have the capacity to add new features. This one is a no-brainer and will be a very high-priority... when we can get to it.

"The terrain could get more worn as the game progresses" A cool idea, I love how it would help create an evolving game narrative. However, it also has gameplay interaction that would need to be thoroughly tested. Also, we have some optimization tech that might make it really difficult to do that.

Trees should wobble when you shoot a skillshot through them" This is obviously a lower priority than having really awesome looking trees to start with, but I could see this as being a fun thing to do. You would still have the same suspension of disbelief issue when a skillshot penetrates a non-tree object like a rock or building though.

Mandaari

02-04-2014

Do you have any plan or opinion about changing the placement of objects near paths so that units on the path can be seen from any camera angle?

Cuix

02-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
20. Make brush move dynamically
Maybe after the brush stops being buggy and weird, though.

RiotForScience

02-04-2014
58 of 97 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauron View Post
Maybe after the brush stops being buggy and weird, though.
If you could be a little more specific I would be happy to get the issue resolved.

Cuix

02-04-2014

Quote:
If you could be a little more specific I would be happy to get the issue resolved.
Wards placed in the bot lane brush often either fail to reveal enemies in the brush or reveal only after a delay, likely movement related. Specifically, a ward placed near one end of a given bush might not reveal the other end of that bush, or only do so when the enemy moves out of certain areas.

RiotForScience

02-04-2014
59 of 97 Riot Posts

Could you post a screenshot. There is an outside chance that this was deliberate... having a brush that is too big to ward at least.

Cuix

02-04-2014

Quote:
Could you post a screenshot. There is an outside chance that this was deliberate... having a brush that is too big to ward at least.
If it's deliberate, why not have a visual denoting such? Moreover, why is it inconsistent? Given that, I can only assume that it's a bug, like many similar issues that have been around for years. As for a screenshot, currently busy watching a Project M tournament, might work on one after.