Ironstylus: "We're on track to release a VU every month or so."

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Twistedtoo

Senior Member

02-04-2014

I really love how riot is actually answering a lot of the questions about the status of the champions, that being said I have a question of my own. With what looks to be a new void champ coming out soon (maybe) will we be seeing Malzahar and Kassadin getting abit of tlc? I mean visually their skins are abit lack luster, Malzahar's skin art like the shadow prince show different colored abilities but in game they are the same old same old. I especially think his Vizier skin needs some tlc most of all! The skin looks really out dated, more so than his original skin imo. Same thing with Kassadin too, they are just some of the older characters that in the looks area haven't aged as well as they could and with the newer champs coming out it only increases the gap :/


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

02-04-2014
62 of 78 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellioning View Post
Give a bunch of people I disagree with the power to control what threads me and other people see? Yeah, I'm not too excited for that.
Welcome to democracy?

Anyway, when I say toxic I refer to flaming, harassment and treatment of others which is charged in order to deliberately create a negative emotional response. It's pretty simple:

Upvote this stuff: "I really dislike how you executed on X because of A, B and C."

Downvote this stuff: "@#%$ you Riot, you suck, that is all."

Give me a thread full of those first types of comments and I'll answer all the productive negative feedback there might be. Give me a thread full of rude and threatening posts and I'll gladly float over to the threads about parrot pictures.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

02-04-2014
63 of 78 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Explosion View Post
I mean if you're going to use hyperbole to state that the Sion thread is better than every discussion ever had on this forum...
Oh not at all. I'm just saying that a cool thing happened, and it happened in a new venue, and it was easy to track. It's great! I've had awesome discussions on this board. Why would I be here in this very thread if that wasn't the case?

It has however been, in the first day, more productive than a lot of other discussions because what's been asked, and is important, is at the top, easy to answer. There's not a lot of noise to sort through. I've also flipped it around, sorted by newest, to see what I might have missed.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Super Explosion

Senior Member

02-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
If players engaging in toxic behavior post in those forums, then so be it. But they're comments will have to actually garner upvotes in order to gain visibility. That's a big component here. In this format I can't ignore the toxicity. It gets mixed in and is of equal page real estate.
Oh Stylus, that's a double edged sword, and not the good kind.

There's probably always going to be mean people. And people who simply don't speak appealingly.

Trying to hide from it may come at the cost of losing the big picture, the totality of voices.

It may be better to look for the actual reason people say such things, and if they are untrue, you may console yourself in the truth.

So, would you use a feature that preferentially hid downvoted posts below a certain threshold or displayed highly upvoted posts to you on this forum?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hellioning

Senior Member

02-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Welcome to democracy?

Anyway, when I say toxic I refer to flaming, harassment and treatment of others which is charged in order to deliberately create a negative emotional response. It's pretty simple:

Upvote this stuff: "I really dislike how you executed on X because of A, B and C."

Downvote this stuff: "@#%$ you Riot, you suck, that is all."

Give me a thread full of those first types of comments and I'll answer all the productive negative feedback there might be. Give me a thread full of rude and threatening posts and I'll gladly float over to the threads about parrot pictures.
I think everyone can agree that '**** you riot you suck' is a terrible post. It is inflammatory and does not go into any detail as to why Riot may or may not suck. But then things get blurry. I might think a post is stupid and completely useless, and neo-GD would disagree and upvote it to the top of the front page. I might think a post is intelligent, well written, and brings up a lot of good points, but if I'm the only one that sees it, it's not going to get noticed. At least in this current format I can bump it; I don't have a twitter that thousands of people follow. I don't have a stream that I could get on to point to a great forum post. How, exactly, am I supposed to get that thread the views and upvotes I think it deservers so that other people, including you, might be able to see it? I suppose I could hope and pray that a red posts in another topic so I could go off topic and ask them 'hey, mind checking out this thread?' but that'll get downvoted.

I guess my issue with this format is that you seem to think that GD is full of well-spoken. intelligent posters that are just waiting for a place to flex their debating muscles if it weren't for all these toxic people floating around. Once they can safely ignore them, then great discussion about Leona or Diana or Leona/Diana yuri fic can occur.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

02-04-2014
64 of 78 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Explosion View Post
Oh Stylus, that's a double edged sword, and not the good kind.

There's probably always going to be mean people. And people who simply don't speak appealingly.

Trying to hide from it may come at the cost of losing the big picture, the totality of voices.

It may be better to look for the actual reason people say such things, and if they are untrue, you may console yourself in the truth.

So, would you use a feature that preferentially hid downvoted posts below a certain threshold or displayed highly upvoted posts to you on this forum?
Dude, I'm just looking to not have toxic hate-spew thrown at me. I want to answer questions, give reasoning to why we do what we do, and generally be a positive force in the community between devs and players. That's it. Let's not go crazy with the philosophizing. I'm just trying to talk to people about video games without getting too banged up.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

exec3

Senior Member

02-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
...maybe.





He and I might have a secret plan to redesign Kayle and Morgana from the ground up together. "Might" is a strong word, though.
What's wrong with them atm? :S I want the angel champs to remain!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Twistedtoo

Senior Member

02-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Explosion View Post
Oh Stylus, that's a double edged sword, and not the good kind.

There's probably always going to be mean people. And people who simply don't speak appealingly.

Trying to hide from it may come at the cost of losing the big picture, the totality of voices.

It may be better to look for the actual reason people say such things, and if they are untrue, you may console yourself in the truth.

So, would you use a feature that preferentially hid downvoted posts below a certain threshold or displayed highly upvoted posts to you on this forum?

Yes, but some of these people really have no idea about what they are flaming for. Even worse some people refuse to logically debate and try to see both points of view. There is a saying that you don't argue with idiots, because you will be dragged down to their level and you will always lose to them due to the lack of experience. that is roughly it I thin xD and frankly speaking I wouldn't even acknowledge someone who came at me in such a manner face to face or at my place of business, and it being across the internet doesn't make it any less disrespectful or wrong...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Purodyuusaa

Senior Member

02-04-2014

IronStylus, I have a question. Please excuse my wording if it's confusing though because I'm tired and exhausted from a busy day.

You say that there are 4 (iirc) reworks in the pipeline currently right? How much of an guesstimated wait is there between "We're ready to pbe this thing" to it actually showing up on the pbe?

I'm curious because I'd personally like to see as many reworks happen this year as possible since everyone knows there are a lot of characters that need anything from touch ups to full redos.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Super Explosion

Senior Member

02-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Welcome to democracy?
I will make this important note though:

The Reddit format is actually anti-democratic.

It can be difficult to see if you're not experienced in the field of governance, because it superficially uses a voting system.

But voting does not make a democracy.

The format alters the weight of voices, and introduces a very heavy 'primacy' effect, in addition to an 'aligning with authority' effect, and discussion compartmentalization.

Basically: It squelches the minority, the unappealing, and the recent.

But in order for a democracy to function, the totality of possibilities must be displayed for subsequent public decision.

This understanding ostensibly develops the systems of the First Amendment and the Standing Rules of the U.S. Senate.

This is sort of more tangential to League, but perhaps it can be of help when refining your forums.