Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

XxJohnnyOxX

01-28-2014

You can change the jungle look, (for example, instead of pine trees, jungle trees) you can add little animals (they are neutral, and you can't kill them, but they move while the champion walks next to them) into the jungle, you can also make the river look more like a real river, by adding animations when the champion walks over it, you could make a bridge in the middle of mid lane (so the water goes under it, and looks realistic), you can upgrade the trees that surround SR to look more realistic too, including the torches that look outdated, and give a VU to all the monsters and epic ones. That's what I think that could improve SR map.What do you think RiotForScience

Tortferngatr

01-28-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJohnnyOxX View Post
You can change the jungle look, (for example, instead of pine trees, jungle trees) you can add little animals (they are neutral, and you can't kill them, but they move while the champion walks next to them) into the jungle, you can also make the river look more like a real river, by adding animations when the champion walks over it, you could make a bridge in the middle of mid lane (so the water goes under it, and looks realistic), you can upgrade the trees that surround SR to look more realistic too, including the torches that look outdated, and give a VU to all the monsters and epic ones. That's what I think that could improve SR map.What do you think RiotForScience
I noticed both of these in Dawngate--chickens at the main ugger camp and puddles at the fish camps. (sorry for so many comparisons--it does have League, Dota 2, and EA's technical guidance for reference on "what would be good map design visuals and backend.")

Footstep animations would be a rather interesting touch for all 4 maps of League, even if they're more subtle than in Dawngate.

discog

02-01-2014

One thing I haven't seen formally stated in this thread I'd like considered: SR maps that would correspond or be home to the most common character skin themes.

We've already had suggestions to bring back the Harrowing and Snowdown SR skins, and add in underwater, beach, or nautical skins (which I think could be incorporated in one "Nautical/Bilgewater" map). Those three SR skins could cover thematically a lot of character skins:

"Frozen" or "Christmas": 43(!) skins (if you include all Snowdown Showdown)
Harrowing/Halloween/Haunted: ~17 skins
Underwater/Pirate/Beach: 26 skins (including pool party)

But there are some other popular character skin themes I'd really like to see reflected in an SR skin. For example:

Chinese History/Warring Kingdoms: 12 skins
Wild West: 8 skins
Modern Life/City: ~15 skins
Modern Warfare: ~17 skins
Deep Jungle/Tribal: ~15 skins
Middle East/Shurima Desert: ~10 skins

Plus, I can think of so many cool ideas for Summoner's Rift skins based on these themes! The Lunar Revel SR could have traditional chinese buidings in the bases, and look like a Three Kingdoms era battlefield. An SR based in a modern day city could replace the trees with buildings like a doughnut shop (for Officer Cait and Vi) or a hospital (for the Dr. Ninjas) and the lanes with paved streets, and give the feeling of a gang fight. Or imagine a Wild West SR with cacti (yay Rammus!) and tumbleweeds where the bases were small wild west towns, and the lanes actually feel like western showdowns. Creating "Modern Warfare" or "Deep Jungle" versions that are visually distinct from the regular rift would be more difficult, but could still be done. I'd love to see any of these worlds come to life.

Anyway, RiotForScience, thanks for taking all these comments in such a positive and enthusiastic way. I look forward to seeing any/all changes to Summoner's Rift that come down the pike.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

02-03-2014
54 of 92 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJohnnyOxX View Post
We have to add ambient life to SR so that it feels alive. There is a careful balance that you need to have with that though. You do not want squirrels running around on the groundplane in active team fights (It is one of the readons why we made Poro's run away from everyone). But having them in the actual islands off of the nav-mesh would be great.

Samflash3

02-03-2014

Even the Nexus/Inhibs/Turrets look too season 1 for the game. Although its funny that the nexus are the same no matter the map. Except Dominion which has a giant crystal (which i think is awesome).

Game Overlord

02-03-2014

Is there any possibility of making purchasable SR skins?

exec3

02-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
We have to add ambient life to SR so that it feels alive. There is a careful balance that you need to have with that though.
Will Cassiopeia still have her secret passive where all the snakes of the map disappear when she gets played?

Quote:
You do not want squirrels running around on the groundplane in active team fights (It is one of the readons why we made Poro's run away from everyone).
Which again I need to say doesn't happen anymore because everyone gets porosnax by default.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

02-03-2014
55 of 92 Riot Posts

So remember when I said I went through all the feedback and made notes of all the unique pieces of input.... where here is the first installment of it. Items with asterix probably need some explanation, and I will get into those with more detail. Bold items were things that I thought were really suprising ideas that I think need more examination. Everything else are just solid ideas.

1. Textures and rendering needs to be higher fidelity
2. Flora is not integrated with each other or with the terrain
3. Flora scale is not appropriate to the champion scale
4. Baron’s area does not feel as epic as it should
5. Architecture seems out of place with the environment as a whole
6. Objects in the map are repeated too frequently
7. The turrets do not look as good as HA
8. The Map needs to retain it’s “Fairy Tale” thematic
9. The map needs to be single themed ***
10. Laser range needs to be clearly defined
11. The nav-mesh on the map needs to stay the same
12. The map must be highly performant on a min spec machine
13. The map needs better integration with the lore
14. There are props that seem inappropriate for the environment
15. The jungle camps need to be higher quality

So concerning the idea that the map needs to be single themed. I both agree and disagree. SR always needs to preserve a cohesive feeling of being a fantasy forest. There should be no good side vs evil side. On the other hand the map would benefit from very distinct areas of the map that players can use for orientation. At the moment the map contains several self contained POI's. Since those POI's are disconnected from any larger visual cues, they do not serve as effective ways of providing a player with orientation. We can do much better. We need harmony in the overall theme of the map and variety within that theme to provide interest and clarity.

exec3

02-03-2014

I thought the laser range was well defined, step on the steps and you get a laser to the face. Laser range was more an issue with the other maps particularly HA I thought.

Also you didn't bold any of the texts.

Thales

02-03-2014

I've seen you mention this point a few times, that the map can't have a "good side" and an "evil side". I can think of a few reasons this might be undesirable, but I'm curious as to what the official ones are besides maintaining one theme for the whole map.