Ironstylus: "We're on track to release a VU every month or so."

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HawtPockets

02-03-2014

@IronStylus

Hopefully you're still looking through this thread. I was wondering if Skarner will be getting a skin with his upcoming kit rework like Soraka did. Or, if you don't know, who at Riot might know?

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

02-03-2014
50 of 78 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlumlordThanatos View Post
It already can.

There's an HTML command you can type into the address bar that arranges the beta site in a flat layout. They just refuse to support it.
I'll send this feedback directly to them. Maybe they can enable it.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

02-03-2014
51 of 78 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaddeus Maxwell View Post
I think the misconception is that a discussion changing from topic to topic is inherently bad. Isn't that how actual conversations go? You start talking about one thing and then move to something else later. I don't believe that the topic is being "hijacked" so much as it is changing organically. Moreover there is no guarantee that a topic won't change given the reddit format. You are relying on the community to upvote only those posts which are relevant but there is really no barrier to them picking something off topic to upvote.
This isn't a personal attack on you at all, I just think a large problems with the reddit format is that it doesn't directly solve many of the stated problems with the current system.
That's how things go in this setting, yes, and in normal conversation. However, as a dev, it's nearly impossible to keep threads on track and address what people who are here to discuss the actual topic title. It's a big disenfranchising of them honestly.

I'm going to see if some comments on the new beta can be "un-nested", allowing an easier view of more back-and-forth conversation. I think a lot of it comes back to the visual clutter people see in the beta format. It's sorta disorienting to have things keep stepping inward.

But again, the beta community is still in progress. This is the time to give that feedback.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

02-03-2014
52 of 78 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linna Excel View Post
IronStylus, since you are on the rework team, what's the toughest part of a VU especially when compared to starting a champ from scratch?

Is it finding a direction for the champ, making sure it hits all the notes, making sure people like it more than the old version, making a call that you might have to do a traditional skins? Going back to Evelynn, what if someone suggests her not having blue (or any fantasy color) skin? You know, make her look normal. That sounds like the sort of thing which could completely screw up the planning stages simply because it would open doors that had been closed. For example she learned about shadow magic or her gloves are the source of her power. Or maybe she's a normal person until she puts them on and when she does, she turns blue.

But on the other hand, I could also see getting halfway through a VU and half the people deciding that for whatever reason, the old look was better and having to start from scratch.

BTW, who was the easiest champ to rework so far and who was the hardest? Are there any upcoming reworks you are really looking forward to or dreading based on what might have to be done?
The toughest part is the pre-production/concept phase. Trying to noodle out what makes this character who they are. Obviously there was an intention, but that intention couldn't quite be executed when the champion was originally made. We need to balance the intention versus what the players now hold in their mind.

Example, we don't think Taric was intended to be a joke. We think he was intended to be our standard paladin with some flair. But the psychology players have around him is very different. How do we reconcile those things? It can be a challenge at times. Lots of back and forth, lots of philosophical questions.

Yeah, Eve is interesting. In that case everything is up for discussion, and yes, if something new gets discovered, going drastically away from the current version, we need to consider a traditional skin.

I guess the "easiest" so far was Master Yi. Straightforward, we knew how to keep the charm, and it was a straight up VU with a well thought out kit change.

Eazy E

02-03-2014

I wonder who made the horrible Skarner "rework". Probably a worse champion designer than CertaintlyT..

Sir Cutchry

02-03-2014

I feel like riot puts to much thought into their projects rather than just trying to accomplish them. If they are concerned about how the community is going to react to changes they should be putting those changes on the PBE, seeing how the community reacts and make changes accordingly rather than taking months-years on a project then scrapping it because you don't think it will be accepted well or you don't "think" it will fit well into the game. The problem is you're trying to be to political and trying to please everyone.

The real fact is that people enjoy balance and more content. If you show your progress towards that then people will be happier. We don't care as much about surprise as we do enjoy talking about or getting new/modified content or balance changes to fix the game.

JigglyThePuff

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Example, we don't think Taric was intended to be a joke.
Taric isn't a joke. He's fabulous.

http://youtu.be/B5NTMFraP2Y

Eyrgos

02-03-2014

Stylus, any TU's on the horizon? I love TU's!

Especially hoping you start some very, very minor touch-up's on Quinn as a pet-project still *crosses fingers*

And perhaps you'd like to give us a clue/riddle as to Quinn's first post-release skin?! Please, I ask with all humility.

WereAssassin

02-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
The toughest part is the pre-production/concept phase. Trying to noodle out what makes this character who they are.

Like how Karma was about duality. All of her abilities could help team-mates or hurt opponents depending on how they were used. Or, how her name was symbolic of her playsyle in that, when you hurt her she gets more ap(karma....get it?)

GJ keeping that theme(sarcasm).

Misogoop6

02-03-2014

Stylus, the one VU I'm really looking forward to is Taric. I love him, and I just want him to look better. Whether you choose to keep him as a 'joke' or not, I'm really excited to see what you guys do.