Ironstylus: "We're on track to release a VU every month or so."

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FatedTitan

02-03-2014

So I'm guessing we'll be seeing no more pizza feet soon? Also, will be Gangplank be before the end of the month.

Soarent

02-03-2014

Hey Mr.Iron Stylus now I have a question about kennen now I think he is ok where is he right now but t seems like his kit feels a little weird together. Now I no he isn't a high priority but is he one currently? I play him and I do like him but I think only his q makes sense right now. Half his abilities normal ninja stuff while the rest is storm. Any thoughts on his current state?

FatedTitan

02-03-2014

Everything fits Kennen. He's supposed to deal with the storm, not be just a ninja. Of you just want to throw shruikens, play Zed.

Quintessence

02-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Currently we have 4 VU's/Relaunches in the pipe, including the Sion relaunch which is a while out. Not going to spoil what's grouped into our launch cadence but we're now beginning to project what's going to slot in between other slotted relaunches if Sion's takes a while longer.

That said, we have aspirations to do a relaunch per month, but it's not a hard deliverable we must hit. It's what we want to hit. It's what we plan to hit, but it's not always feasible if we encounter problems.

Problems can be anything from the theme of the character being unclear and how we go about tackling that more philosophical side of a relaunch. That can sometime be the biggest point of contention. Production is often easy. Modelling, animation, VFX, while challenging is often more of a straight forward process and series of deliverables than something that's a lot more malleable and subjective like the concepting/thematic solidification theme.

In addition to process and concepting, we also had a fairly long break over the holidays, and that's pretty standard not to be producing content during that time. We had about 3 champions in various states of completion before we left. Some near the end of production, some in the middle, some at the end of the concept phase. Who knows, we might end up having a few close proximity VU's together because we have a couple of champions as a pretty late state hanging out in the polish phase. Not sure.

Either way, it's the beginning of the year, and we only recently got back into full steam. There's a lot coming this year. I think you'll be pleased with the results.
After last year pretty much anything would be a improvement and make people happy.

Soarent

02-03-2014

I understand that but he just seems a little out of place I mean a passive/active ability then you have a movement self buff that deals damage then just a plain skill shot and a are of effect damage around you. Like you don't even see him talked to much about, which isn't great or bad, I like him as a champion but I think he needs something that will make him shine a little more, I don't think that spark (didn't mean to pun) is inside him.

Linna Excel

02-03-2014

IronStylus, since you are on the rework team, what's the toughest part of a VU especially when compared to starting a champ from scratch?

Is it finding a direction for the champ, making sure it hits all the notes, making sure people like it more than the old version, making a call that you might have to do a traditional skins? Going back to Evelynn, what if someone suggests her not having blue (or any fantasy color) skin? You know, make her look normal. That sounds like the sort of thing which could completely screw up the planning stages simply because it would open doors that had been closed. For example she learned about shadow magic or her gloves are the source of her power. Or maybe she's a normal person until she puts them on and when she does, she turns blue.

But on the other hand, I could also see getting halfway through a VU and half the people deciding that for whatever reason, the old look was better and having to start from scratch.

BTW, who was the easist champ to rework so far and who was the hardest? Are there any upcoming reworks you are really looking forward to or dreading based on what might have to be done?

Sophitia

02-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
The first comment in there has 103 upvotes, and I've addressed the first few comments.

I'd suggest you re-evaluate and head over there. That's where I'll be focusing my time answering questions on the Sion subject, it's simply easier to actually talk to people that way and address sentiments and look at popular ideas.
It's easier for you to respond, it's pretty damn difficult for anyone else to hold a conversation on the Reddit test forums. As much as I and others here value what you have to say, you aren't necessarily the only person we want to hold conversations with on the topic. (assuming we even get enough upvotes to be noticed) :|

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

02-03-2014
47 of 78 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixia View Post
Do AMAs function well? I would disagree strongly Everytime Riot hosts an AMA, it's a struggle for me to even find any of the Riot posts/answers to the questions asked, let alone for me to find a comment I'm looking for to upvote it. Not to mention the later the discussion goes and the more upvotes that get accumulated, the harder it becomes for new posts and questions to get any traction over the ones that have been there since the beginning accumulating views.

Everytime the new community beta gets brought up, it just disappoints me. I find it to just be a completely unnavigatable mess that I can't makes heads or tails out of. Every couple of months I check in on it again, hoping to see improvement, only to be disheartened when I find it remains just as confusing as before. Someday it will go live and replace this community, and I'll be sad because it means I simply won't be able to visit it anymore or keep track of Riot posts because at this point I see little chance of the layout getting any easier for me to understand.
I'm going to be giving some feedback to the beta team. There should be improvements coming. That's why it's a beta.

zitchy14

02-03-2014

Except with the forum system, you still respond to people who come in later. This thread is four days old and you are responding to new posters. With reddit, if you aren't there within the first few hours, good luck getting your opinion in.

Plus, you already have a subreddit where reds post. Why do we need two reddits? I'm on a forum because it encourages discussion. I'm not on reddit because only the most popular opinion is seen.

Forums are for discussion or debate while Reddit is just a loud megaphone.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

02-03-2014
48 of 78 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlumlordThanatos View Post
You misunderstand.

I don't care about Sion, I don't own him. I care that you seem to be contractually obligated to move away from posting here in GD and moving towards the Beta site that you people seem hell-bent on shoving down our throats.

It took you posting the thread on Twitter to get people to pay attention. That doesn't bode well for the site's future.
I'm not contractually obligated, I'm looking for a better venue for us devs to interact with you.

The unfortunate reality is that this system simply is not scalable nor effective in the long run. That's just the reality. I know people are adverse to change, but this will be the way it's going to go most likely.

Twitter is a great way for devs to bring attention and jumpstart discussion. Is there a particular problem with me bringing people to that discussion? There's a lot of great ideas in there now and I can much more easily track what's happening. What's more important; players producing page after page of opinions which are extremely difficult to track and sometimes negatively charged which discourage devs from posting, or us seeing the rational sentiments and questions and actually being able to effectively answer questions which people feel are important via upvote consensus? Maybe it's a tradeoff, but if it helps me get more info to more people in an effective way, I'm 100% for the venue change.

Again, here we are, this discussion has been hijacked from VU's to forum venues. There's at least 3 different discussions happening. VU's in general, specific character VU's, forum discussions, etc. That is simply not viable. In the new venue this would most likely stay on track, doing the service to the people who are here to talk about the subject at hand.