Skarner, I miss your kind

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shahamut

02-02-2014

How about scaling his q physical damage off total ad rather than just bonus?

WilbusDumbledore

02-03-2014

How about an update Riot? The red post was in November. You ask for our help, don't listen to our opinions, mistakenly push horrible changes to production, take them back down, then remove them from PBE all together.

.....updates please.

TenSlashTen

02-03-2014

Hi I was a skarner main until in s2 when you nerfed his W and gave it a longer CD after making his ult hard to land and easily canceled by a number of gap closers (says the line.. Doesnt hit the animation...)

Thanks for ruining him for me

Recent skarner?

Pick him up again a few weeks ago. Hes still garbage to play. I can't gank and when i do everyone just CC's me and runs away or when i get close their gap closer cancels my ult animation so I walk away sad.. Also i have to start tear or i go oom in less then 1 Jungle clear (all camps)
So theres that.

Seraphs top lane skarner makes more sence then a jungler just buying tear so he doesn't go oom.
actually had alot of success with seraphs top lane skarner with ice gauntlet..
Frozen heart spirit visage.. Was a decent game.

Give his E a quicker missele speed... uhh..
Make it do percentage magic damage when you engulf mark (8% of hp etc)
Shred 1 second off E

Shred 1-2 seconds off level 1 W

shred .1-.3 seconds off level 1 Q

Now hes playable for me in the jungle again.

Keep all mana costs the same.
Giving him a better mana pool would make him imbalanced.
I can deal with a ****ty mana pool thats fine.

I however refuse to have a champion that gets imbalanced because of some poorly placed buffs.

His E doing percentage on a mark consumed to buffs would help clear the fat ass buffs you made take forever to clear in s3.
Idc if the percentage damage only affects monsters or only has a cap of like 50 damage to players.
thats fine to me.

But it needs to happen for jungle skarner.

Clocked

02-03-2014

• What are the most fun aspects of playing Skarner?
I like building tons of Movespeed, popping w and ghost and running into the enemy team like a train, then pulling the ADC halfway across the map :3
His ult is awesome.
I like that I can spam his abilities

• What are the most frustrating/unfun aspects of playing Skarner?
His e is a useless ability.
Also, since my autos reduce my cool downs, sometimes my teammates don't properly see the green light for my multi, might be a bug.

• What are the most frustrating aspects of playing against Skarner?
He can always duel you, outrun you, or pull you around

• Are there champions that do Skarner’s job better than he does? Why?
Vi's ulti singles out carries almost better than Skarner's, makes me sad.

Shahamut

02-05-2014

BUMP! Still waiting for a RIOT response.

a dumb cat

02-07-2014

Scruffy,

I welcome any improvements to Skarner and would love to see his rework make its appearance. If you are indeed still keeping up with this thread, I had some suggestions to improve his kit (pre-rework). I currently play Skarner on a regular basis even though he is not quite on par with other champs, simply because he is just so fun to play.

Pre-rework comments

W - Crystalline Exoskeleton
Instead of the attack speed and movement speed buff disappearing as soon as the shield is popped, why not let the buffs persist for the full 6 seconds regardless of how long the shield lasts? Skarner would be able to survive a burst from his target while maintaining the MS/AS buffs to close the gap.

E - Fracture
Instead of having E consist of a cast time, why not enable it to be insta-cast? Like Eve's Hate Spike or Jinx's Flame Chompers, Skarner would still be mobile while casting this skill. It fits more with his always-mobile, always-chasing play style.

- - - - - - -

Post-rework comments

I love the ideas you have in mind for the rework. Those who complain about losing the slow on Skarner's Q can simply work a Rylai's into their build (it's a great item on Skarner anyway, but the changes make it even more essential). Those who complain about losing the heal can work a life-steal item into their build (Hydra comes to mind for jungle clearing especially). I don't know if spell vamp would work, but I suppose it is worth investigating...

Overall, I like the changes. One suggestion to the rework would be to consider my suggestion for making Skarner's E have zero cast time.

Thanks for all the hard work and dedication you put into this great game.

Cheers,
~cat

Addstoo

02-07-2014

I don't own or really play skarner, and I only do because I get him on aram. I will say this: he is incredibly strong and very good in terms of tankiness, but I always seem to run out of mana, and he doesn't feel impactful. I run into guys, I soak up damage, and I walk out feeling like I didn't deal that much damage or take that much damage. In other words, I feel like he has a lack of "feeling present" in the way that he just doesn't feel like he requires much work, and that he doesn't have much of a fear factor or desperation factor (not taking enough to get scared you'll die, not dishing enough to be desperate to kill). I do get a good amount of kills when I play him, but I just wonder how I got the kills considering how little damage I feel i'm doing. His skillshot (fracture) deals very little damage, and doesn't seem to have any feedback (I always wonder if I hit someone or not). I find I tend to live long enough to build an trinity force after 2 deaths, and that makes him really strong. In the end, he just doesn't feel strong, although you will notice it when you use him (in aram). Maybe his lack of "impact" skills is part of the reason? All his skills penetrate without audible or physical feedback (as far as I remember), so nothing feels like it hits, making him feel like a phantom.

TL;DR I'm a skarner noob who only has used him in aram, and he doesn't feel powerful or tanky, even when he is.

encyclopedea

02-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by a dumb cat View Post
Scruffy,

I welcome any improvements to Skarner and would love to see his rework make its appearance. If you are indeed still keeping up with this thread, I had some suggestions to improve his kit (pre-rework). I currently play Skarner on a regular basis even though he is not quite on par with other champs, simply because he is just so fun to play.

Pre-rework comments

W - Crystalline Exoskeleton
Instead of the attack speed and movement speed buff disappearing as soon as the shield is popped, why not let the buffs persist for the full 6 seconds regardless of how long the shield lasts? Skarner would be able to survive a burst from his target while maintaining the MS/AS buffs to close the gap.

E - Fracture
Instead of having E consist of a cast time, why not enable it to be insta-cast? Like Eve's Hate Spike or Jinx's Flame Chompers, Skarner would still be mobile while casting this skill. It fits more with his always-mobile, always-chasing play style.

- - - - - - -

Post-rework comments

I love the ideas you have in mind for the rework. Those who complain about losing the slow on Skarner's Q can simply work a Rylai's into their build (it's a great item on Skarner anyway, but the changes make it even more essential). Those who complain about losing the heal can work a life-steal item into their build (Hydra comes to mind for jungle clearing especially). I don't know if spell vamp would work, but I suppose it is worth investigating...

Overall, I like the changes. One suggestion to the rework would be to consider my suggestion for making Skarner's E have zero cast time.

Thanks for all the hard work and dedication you put into this great game.

Cheers,
~cat

The cast time thing on the E would be huge, possibly enough to actually make this rework playable.
The W buff removal is there for "counterplay". The only problem is, all you have to do is drop a single ability, and suddenly you just completely shut down Skarner (assuming he doesn't have other means of gap closing, such as flash or a Thresh lantern).

The biggest problems with your suggestions about buying items is that it opens up way too many build paths (as in, you have to have all of the items NOW in order to be strong). That's why the current Skarner rework is weak in the early game, then mid-late game, after he has some farm, he's absolutely unstoppable.

Sorithal

02-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilbusDumbledore View Post
How about an update Riot? The red post was in November. You ask for our help, don't listen to our opinions, mistakenly push horrible changes to production, take them back down, then remove them from PBE all together.

.....updates please.
They're still taking forever on that Xerath rework they mentioned last year.

Hemulen Magi

02-07-2014

• What are the most fun aspects of playing Skarner?
Pretending to be a Pokémon.

• What are the most frustrating/unfun aspects of playing Skarner?
His ultimate doesn't have enough PP considering that it is most of his value.

• What are the most frustrating aspects of playing against Skarner?
When he gets lucky enough to catch you off guard and pulls you into a turret early on for some super effective hits.

• Are there champions that do Skarner’s job better than he does? Why?
Blitzcrank and Thresh, because they can catch 'em all from a distance.