Ironstylus: "We're on track to release a VU every month or so."

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Oracles VS Teemo

02-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortferngatr View Post
Morg already got her QoL change and isn't in too much need of a rework otherwise AFAIK.
Not what I'm talking about...

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

02-03-2014
44 of 78 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellioning View Post
Yes, that's how things SHOULD work. That's not how things currently work in GD, and I see no reason why it would change when the new forums come into effect. It also leads to an issue where a comment might get downvoted for some reason or another, even if it's not a terrible comment, maybe even a good one. The person who posted that comment sees this and gets angry at the community; after all, the reason the red never saw my comment was because of these idiots who downvoted my comment because they disagreed with it! Then they rage and nothing gets done.

The reddit-style community also has issues when it comes to discussions that aren't just someone asking a question and someone else answering. If Xelnath posts a response to a comment, then he gets a bunch of other responses, and maybe he changes his mind or something, and the discussion changes track, it's hard to track. This forum has issues, but being able to sort posts chronologically helps when keeping track of, say, the Xerath thread. That could never have happened in reddit.

Then, of course, there's the sense of entitlement that happens; if a highly upvoted thread doesn't get a riot response for whatever reason, there will be no end to the QQ.
It's a trade off. What I know for certain is that the vBulletin framework isn't going to be able to accommodate what the future holds. In the new community I may very well create a single section on Relaunch where intimate discussions are held, potentially across some language/geographic boundaries, where we can seek feedback or show progress. Currently in the beta I can see what messages come across my desk and respond. Do you know how extremely useful that is?

Either way, I'm going to be working a bit with the guys on the community beta side of things. Hoping to provide them some feedback and ask about certain features, a lot about how to tailor direct dev/player interactions especially about character creation. All I know for certain is that the GD system currently is a bit unsustainable. Look how a thread about VU's has been side tracked into this back and forth when the new system hasn't even been tested to it's fullest extent. This is a pretty classic derailment. Now we're the focus, pitching back and forth which is the best system when one hasn't even been shaken out.

If you're a doubter of the potential, or want to try it out, create the exact thread I'm suggesting and let's get to work, me and you, figure out what works and what doesn't. I'd love to use Sion as a framework. He's a complicated and long-term relaunch who the community is certainly going to be interested in.

Put your money where your mouth is. Start the thread, give me a link, I'll put it on my twitter to get some traction and we'll get the discussion going. No hard feelings, no sort of animosity at all, I very much am excited to see how such a system will work, if at all. For now, put it in the "Miscellaneous" sub-community until we have something more appropriate. Let's try it out.

Hellioning

02-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
It's a trade off. What I know for certain is that the vBulletin framework isn't going to be able to accommodate what the future holds. In the new community I may very well create a single section on Relaunch where intimate discussions are held, potentially across some language/geographic boundaries, where we can seek feedback or show progress. Currently in the beta I can see what messages come across my desk and respond. Do you know how extremely useful that is?

Either way, I'm going to be working a bit with the guys on the community beta side of things. Hoping to provide them some feedback and ask about certain features, a lot about how to tailor direct dev/player interactions especially about character creation. All I know for certain is that the GD system currently is a bit unsustainable. Look how a thread about VU's has been side tracked into this back and forth when the new system hasn't even been tested to it's fullest extent. This is a pretty classic derailment. Now we're the focus, pitching back and forth which is the best system when one hasn't even been shaken out.

If you're a doubter of the potential, or want to try it out, create the exact thread I'm suggesting and let's get to work, me and you, figure out what works and what doesn't. I'd love to use Sion as a framework. He's a complicated and long-term relaunch who the community is certainly going to be interested in.

Put your money where your mouth is. Start the thread, give me a link, I'll put it on my twitter to get some traction and we'll get the discussion going. No hard feelings, no sort of animosity at all, I very much am excited to see how such a system will work, if at all. For now, put it in the "Miscellaneous" sub-community until we have something more appropriate. Let's try it out.
Let's. http://community.na.leagueoflegends....elaunch-thread

I made my own OP, because yours was a bare-bones one that was meant to give an example, so hopefully you aren't too upset by my additions. I'm also going to bed because wow it's 3 in the morning, you are crazy parrot, Diana is awesome but she's not that awesome.

Keppa The God

02-03-2014

Does IronStylus have FEK? wtf

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

02-03-2014
45 of 78 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellioning View Post
Let's. http://community.na.leagueoflegends....elaunch-thread

I made my own OP, because yours was a bare-bones one that was meant to give an example, so hopefully you aren't too upset by my additions. I'm also going to bed because wow it's 3 in the morning, you are crazy parrot, Diana is awesome but she's not that awesome.
Tweetified.

https://twitter.com/RiotIronStylus/s...80768720343040

Joek9100

02-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunal View Post
I won't hold my breath. Didn't everyone predict there was a Shurima event as well? Whatever happened to that?

I'm sure they'll do something huge eventually. The problem is just cadence. You'd think a company as large as Riot would be able to do a large event (such as Freijord) every few months. And that's generous when you look at say, MMO developers for instance (in regards to updates). LoL is a pretty small game when you think about it - in terms of scope and content (in contrast to the size of Riot Games themselves).

We're getting to the point where something as minor as a VU is taking 4+ months at a time, isn't that worrying?

It feels like Riot is doing the bare minimal required at this point. They're extremely successful. They're gaining lots of new players and revenue every day. So why bother? They can throw out a sizable update now and again to keep the fans happy, but if masses of updates and content isn't really going to make a difference in their massive (and rising) popularity, you might as well keep it easy, I suppose. New players aren't going to care too much. Older players won't leave (mostly) because it's genuinely a good product/game that they've spent a lot of time with. So it's a win/win for Riot either way.

I won't deny that the content they do release is generally good in quality. It's just quantity and scope. And there are a lot of companies who can pull off both -- but are smaller.
Ya, like every time I see these threads joking around people complain or point out that Riot hasn't come out with new stuff in forever I remember when there was a new champ every month maybe 2 in a month. Now they barely ever come out with new stuff and when they do it's not even like super awesome. Like Yasuo's skin I think personally is stupid and the new scorched earth Renekton if it's anything like the teaser video I hate that one too. Any ways. So Many champions are due for a VU or a rework. So many old splash arts on really old champions aren't getting done. Galio, Morde, and Kass all have gotten 2 Splash Art changes and in my opinion the 1st one for each looked much better than the ones they have now. Riot always says something about how none of the teams overlap or how none of the things affects others and employees are working on things. But if feels like Riot gaming is like 6 teams of around 6-7 guys/girls and that's it, maybe there are a ton of customer support people. But ya they make it seem like they don't have enough workers to get everything done. Riot is such a freakin huge company with the biggest esports ever. They should be rolling in tons of cash they should have like 5 champion creater teams with 1 person in charge to approve or deny champions. Why does it feel like Riot has such a scarce amount of employees?

That's just how I personally feel.

Tl;DR=Game is bigger than ever why does it feel like Riot's staff shrunk.

Joek9100

02-03-2014

Quote:
Eve currently sits in the "what is she?" land of concept development. She needs something more of a hook than just "blue lady in tights". Maybe she's a shadow isles hybrid. Maybe she's a demon. She needs not just an update in fidelity, she needs a thematic overhaul. That said, she'll probably get a traditional skin to go with whatever we do with her. We're only just in the early, early phases of her development. Very slow burn.
Didn't Eve already get a VU like a total rework completely. Now she is getting another one....how soon I wonder?

Gixia

02-03-2014

Quote:
That's why AMA's function well. We can guague which questions have traction. I don't go into threads for circle jerks, I go into them to see what I can answer. If someone asks me something politely, and valid, I will answer. The new system will ensure those questions rise to the top while others which aren't the community's primary concern, fall to the bottom.
Do AMAs function well? I would disagree strongly Everytime Riot hosts an AMA, it's a struggle for me to even find any of the Riot posts/answers to the questions asked, let alone for me to find a comment I'm looking for to upvote it. Not to mention the later the discussion goes and the more upvotes that get accumulated, the harder it becomes for new posts and questions to get any traction over the ones that have been there since the beginning accumulating views.

Everytime the new community beta gets brought up, it just disappoints me. I find it to just be a completely unnavigatable mess that I can't makes heads or tails out of. Every couple of months I check in on it again, hoping to see improvement, only to be disheartened when I find it remains just as confusing as before. Someday it will go live and replace this community, and I'll be sad because it means I simply won't be able to visit it anymore or keep track of Riot posts because at this point I see little chance of the layout getting any easier for me to understand.

Super Explosion

02-03-2014

Quote:
Look how a thread about VU's has been side tracked into this back and forth when the new system hasn't even been tested to it's fullest extent. This is a pretty classic derailment.
Although mind you Mister Stylus: Since you're clearly using this brief aside in the thread for a purpose, it might be quite difficult to state such breadth of discussion is bad.

In truth, the serpentine nature of some discussions can be very helpful to indicate linkages and provide inspiration.

As you may have just helped prove.

Super Explosion

02-03-2014

I'll post this here, as a crossover:

http://community.na.leagueoflegends....mment=00090000

And I'd perhaps like to see if you notice it here or there first.