I need guidance

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dustinsanity

12-25-2009

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE

I want to main Soraka, and I'd like to be able to apply pressure early game. I realize that Soraka is squishy, is a healer, making her the first to get targeted for ganking, and her damage output is sub-par, but there's just something about her playing style that makes me want to get pro with her. Well, eventually. I've only had LoL installed since Dec. 6th or so.

Moving right along, I'm aggressive and I have trouble thinking about how to react and assess a situation. For example. I'm laning with Cho' Gath, against Master Yi and Ashe. We're at top, purple team. Ashe is harassing the heck out of us and Yi finishes me off very early. I come back from death and he's MIA. Cho' Gath and my Soraka head in for a quick gank, but Master Yi comes out of the jungle and owns me with some sort of neutral monster buff on him, then finishes off Cho' Gath.

I've talked to a player who hosts videos on another site that teaches basic "Zoning Techniques," and she's obviously a pro. Her screen name is Shurelia, and she's a great teacher, but I'm apparently a terrible student. She says to begin with a Health Potion and Doran's Shield with Soraka. That doesn't work for me, but she owned the heck out of me in a 1v1 match to show how she works.

I've done my homework on her, and I've read about 5 different strategy pages on how to use her, but it seems like I want Soraka to be more offensive early game than defensive, going with Ignite+Burning Embers and Clarity, starting with a Mana Manipulator. I want someone to help me pinpoint exactly where I go wrong, and how it catalyzes feeding the rest of the game.

Shatterlight

12-25-2009

I'd say you've already found your problem. You want to play Soraka to offensively. Playing ANY character offensively early on is risky, and Soraka really isn't made for it IMO.

Also, Burning Embers is a bit strange choice of Mastery. As someone else pointed out in a guide somewhere, you will usually want to use Ignite to seal the deal on a kill. That 10 AP won't be there at the time where you want it (aka during the fight).

In my opinion, if you want an offensive earlygame, you want a caster champion. A good survivable (in caster terms) harrasser with good CC and decent damage for the endgame is Fiddlesticks, my favorite.

But if you insist on sticking with Soraka, I'd suggest cooling it off. Cho'gath should be harassing with his delayed AOE popup (Ravage, I believe it is called), you need to be keeping him in the fight for his lasthits (which not only give him gold, but health and mana due to his Carnivore passive to make your job of keeping him in easier). Also, a big problem with your scenario up top, is you died early. More importantly, you died to Yi and Ashe, whom BOTH are carries. Carries scale better with gear than other types of characters, and giving them to gold for that gear early is a big nono.

The second time Yi comes around with the lizard buff, you need to be expecting it. If the enemy goes MIA in the early game, they WILL be back soon. They are either A. Recalling to base for health, mana, and new items to own you with, or B. Setting themselves up in the brush to gank you. You can't be so aggressive unless you know where the enemies are. Pushing to the tower sticks you with Ashe slowing you while Yi rapes you from behind.

I'm pretty new myself, and the reason I know these things is because they happens to me fairly often when I don't pay attention. If the opposition in your lane is any good, they WILL try to set up a gank, and you need to play it defensively.

Biggest thing to remember is, there is no acceptable reason to sacrifice yourself in the earlygame. Lategame in teamfights, there are times where it is necessary, but as a general rule, you want to play it safe and be cautious. Living is your number one priority.

Shurelia

Associate Game Designer

12-27-2009

Soraka is actually a really great early offensive character.

Tiklmesilly

12-27-2009

if you want to make and early offensive Soraka you have a few choices i personaly like clarity so you can keep spaming starfall. then i like to get a saphire crystal and build it into a tear of the godess. then grab your boots tailor them to who you are fighting but if you want to stay offensive get sorc boots. then grab archangels staff. after that its up to you i like to get some cooldown at this point frozen heart is nice or if you want more ap a nashoors tooth(sp?) or a deaths fire grasp.

as far as build
1. star fall (q)
2. heal (w)
3. MP/silence (e)
4. star fall (q)
5. Star fall (q)
6 ult (r)
7. star fall (q)
8. mp/silence (e)
9. star fall (q)
10. mp/silence (e)
11. ult (r)
12. mp/silence (e)
13. mp/silence (e)
14. heal (w)
15. heal (w)
16. ult (r)
17. heal (w)
18. heal (w)

im not pro i dont even play her that much but this is how i like to build her.

Motas

12-27-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurelia View Post
I agree, if you can manage getting the golem buff @ lvl 1 with some help from a teammate, you can harass the heck out of your lane with starcall (assuming they aren't too aggressive)

There's a video on youtube that shows this really well, I think its called League of Legends Soraka Laning video

Dustinsanity

12-27-2009

Lol yeah, that's actually Shurelia's video. It's like "Zoning Techniques" or something. I think everyone should watch it, especially noobs, cuz it's a gold mine of epiphanies you'll never have. lol.

panguss

12-27-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurelia View Post
Yes, but when I play against her as my only champion (Shaco) its just a slaughter. I'd like to play against some of you I'm also interested in playing Soraka and I'd just like to see somebody play her well (that means you, Shurelia!) LOL