So now that Vel'Koz is confirmed..

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EvilTreeSpock

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Tiki View Post
Couple folks here seem really interested in the monster champs, curious what it is about them that you like so much. I personally like that they look so different but wondering what others think.
By nature of looking different they fulfill a desire that I personally have for diversity. Not having to create a human allows for some fun designs that I think frees up artists creativity a bit. Though for the most part the monsters in League maintain some basic human designs (Bipedal and one set of arms) with a few exceptions. Being able to play as a monster allows us to fulfill a fantasy of not being a human and being an "evil" character without really having to feel some kind of guilt. I would also like to see some "female" monsters. While there are "non-human" female champs, they don't really go into the "terrifying" kind of looks. The closest that we really have I think to a female monster is Elise in spider form.

Letsgetcooking

02-02-2014

Also, i do like the teaser riot is doing, the whole *Vel'Koz is everywhere* thingy:

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=4246211

PsychoB0b

02-02-2014

Quote:
Couple folks here seem really interested in the monster champs, curious what it is about them that you like so much. I personally like that they look so different but wondering what others think.
To answer your question...for me, it's because of the unique look of the monster champions. A vast majority of the champs in league are basic humans...meanwhile we have 3(4 with vel) void champs, about 9 yordles, a few monsters that look human, and....then lots of humans. It's easy to see that a lot of artists and such have a sort of comfort zone drawing humans, so it feels rather unique when something distinctly...unique comes out.

Can you think of a single champ out there who remotely looks like Cho'gath? What about Kog'maw? Even the void champs don't look remotely similiar, save...being insectoidish in natue so far, and being bipeds with spiky bits here and there. With humans there are limits to what you can animate, and I think Leagues done a great job so far with this. With voidlings? Do whatever you want, just have it look unique. And...that's what I like about them to be honest. The uniqueness of them.

The shadow isles champs are also characters I love to play.

Lavasioth

02-02-2014

The best part of monsters is simply they feel powerful and unique. I know a lot of people have said it but humans can get really freaking boring. Give me a giant monster over a swordsman any day. And the thing is there are so many routes you can go with monsters that can't be explored via humanoid champs. I personally feel Zyra would be better as an actual plant monster than just a poison ivy knock off. You don't have to worry nearly as much in regards to differentiating a monster champ from other champs. And I agree we need not only more monsters but more feminine monsters. Heck just add more undead shadow isles monsters. Or explore the Plague jungles a bit. Or the Kumunga. Or more beasts of the deep. Perhaps a subterranean monster cause we sorely lack that

Riot Tiki

User Research

02-02-2014
3 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTreeSpock View Post
By nature of looking different they fulfill a desire that I personally have for diversity. Not having to create a human allows for some fun designs that I think frees up artists creativity a bit. Though for the most part the monsters in League maintain some basic human designs (Bipedal and one set of arms) with a few exceptions. Being able to play as a monster allows us to fulfill a fantasy of not being a human and being an "evil" character without really having to feel some kind of guilt. I would also like to see some "female" monsters. While there are "non-human" female champs, they don't really go into the "terrifying" kind of looks. The closest that we really have I think to a female monster is Elise in spider form.
Personally like that you don't have to be male or female playing a monster champ. I think it's another pillar in what allows for a fairly unique play experience as a monster.

Uberphish

02-02-2014

Quote:
I actually put together a thread on this very topic just a bit ago, because I think LoL is sadly lacking in amazing beast champs. The ones we /do/ have are great, but we can always use more!

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...5#post44831625

Blastermine

02-02-2014

I'll be picking him up after I get Varus.

Ezrello

02-02-2014

Quote:
What we like about monster champs is that their cool and not human. Like Shyvana you get to run around in human form, but the thing they look forward to is going in Dragon form, cause you get to be a ****ing Dragon and kill people, another is Cho'Gath and Zac, you get to be bigger then the turrets which is awesome. Another similar is nid. You get to be cat and that is just awesome and a good feeling to hop around as a cat.

Drakonitus

02-02-2014

Riot Tiki, do you think that if a one-eye creature goes to the fields of justice it can "fear" other champions? rs

Zastie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-02-2014

Quote:
I would type a big reply to you about why right now, but I already did ages ago.