So now that Vel'Koz is confirmed..

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Verandure

02-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Tiki View Post
Couple folks here seem really interested in the monster champs, curious what it is about them that you like so much. I personally like that they look so different but wondering what others think.
Non-humanoids provide diversity. I'm still waiting for non-sentient creatures so I can play the death rabbit of Antioch.

I believe it stems from the old Gladiatorial theme of men fighting lions -- man versus beast. Or just floating tentacle monsters shooting laser beams, I dunno.

0xiDIzE

02-02-2014

Quote:
Couple folks here seem really interested in the monster champs, curious what it is about them that you like so much. I personally like that they look so different but wondering what others think.
Just more variation. Humanoid-dominated games are boring as hell. Same reason Timesplitters 2 is infinitely better than Call of Duty games.

Hourendous

02-02-2014

Quote:
They're different. Theres only so much you can do with a humanoid champion, before they all get to the point of being the same. Not to mention, visual effects and such tend to be more limited with whats available to use without having it look to out of place. A monster champ on the other hand, is limited only by what you can think of for it. With monsters we get champs like Cho'goth, Kog'maw, Zac and the like, none of those can be done with a humanoid champion whatsoever. Its adds MUCH needed variety to a game, to prevent it from feeling increasingly stale/boring to play/look at. Thats why reasoning anyway.

Bandana Dee

02-02-2014

Quote:
the league of legends was built as a place, a battle arena where riot could make whatever they wanted, tribal, past, futuristic, monstrous. but doesnt get used to its full potential in that section.

we get humanoids...humanoids...and more humanoids (see zac) so when we get something that isnt humanoid its a really big deal. They're different, special, feel cool to use and control and have so much they can do and have so much potential for awesomeness since they're not restricted to human anatomy

Letsgetcooking

02-02-2014

Quote:
Because they're unique.
They aren't human and that is awesome.
I mean, we see humans everyday, we live in a world of humans and some of us use videogames as a meaning to escape reality. So why pick a human? Humans are boring in my opinion:we know too much about them. I never play humans in rpgs: in fact, i pick the thing that's less human possible.
I know that's just confirmation about what you think about them but i wanted to say my two cents here.
Humans are lame: i learned that in history books and by social contacts. Monsters have a potential to be better in so many ways.

EDIT: Also, when Zac came out i was quite pissed at the fact that even he, a blob, took the form of a muscular humanoid. Cho'Gath, Kha and Kog also have humano´d parts. Skarner feels like the only true monster. Im waiting for Vel'Koz and i hope you'll give him a reaper voice.
Or at least a British accent.

Alumini

02-02-2014

Humans characteristics are generally boring with 2 hands, 2 feet, and average height is pretty boring.

It's nice to see new things, instead of the same old things we see in our every day life. Monsters bring a whole different level of play when playing a champion. Generally when play with a champion, I am one with it. My mind do things what the champion im using usually does in game.

Example:

Teemo: I change my voice

Brand: Feel like im high

Morde: Feel like unstoppable

TrueObjectivity

02-02-2014

Quote:
I don't mind humans, but I dislike how a lot of creatures are so anthropomorphic that they might as well just be a human in a costume. Humanoid humans = good, monstrous monsters = good, humanoid monsters = meh.

Hellioning

02-02-2014

Quote:
They're a lot more unique then the 'woman in a costume' sort of monsters like Elise and Zyra. It helps show creativity when you aren't constrained by making a character bipedal or humanoid. Plus they look cool.

BenDrowns

02-02-2014

Quote:
I think I know what you did there. I also find it humorous who the subject of this tentacle beast was in the preview.

NotDevan

02-02-2014

I am so excited