Ironstylus: "We're on track to release a VU every month or so."

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

01-31-2014
30 of 78 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannus0 View Post
Alright. Just a little curious myself, is there anything coming for Cho, Mr. Parrot?

I know he's supposed to be terrifying, but he's kinda...comical... His voice doesn't do him much credit either.

Battlecast Prime is awesome, but I still think the organic side of Cho could use some love.
I know some internal fans of Cho are doing concept passes, but he's currently not anywhere on our map for this year. Not sure where he stands in the overall priority buckets but he certainly needs to be re-explored from a visual side.

Majin Bl3u

01-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
As I said, Warwick recently came up in conversation and he does look painfully out of date. Personally i think because he's pretty straight forward he might be an "easy win", but no idea when he'd be slated for.
When it comes to a potential WW rework, I think an essential part of making him a true "werewolf" is to capture that feeling of those old drive-in theatre horror movies. When it comes to doing his rework, as well as any rework, do you/the team ever go back to the source material the character references? For instance, do you take time to watch some of those old movies to help guide you?

Nkighte

01-31-2014

Among these champs what would you like to see done with them (no promises, just your creative perspective):

Amumu
Lee Sin
Vlad
Lux
Irelia
Caitlyn

and are there any champions (beyond who you've discussed) on your personal "passion"-project/someday list?

Tachi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-31-2014

Quote:
As I said, Warwick recently came up in conversation and he does look painfully out of date. Personally i think because he's pretty straight forward he might be an "easy win", but no idea when he'd be slated for.
Hey parrot man, I assume this conversation came up with Zenon doing the Warwick rework after Xerath's rework comes out next patch. Is this where he came up?

If so, I was always curious, how closely knit are the artists/animators with the champion balancers? With Xerath's change, he's getting a new VO and stuff. Do you guys all pin-point on a target together? Kassadin's gotten new particles, so I assume there is. Do the balancers direct you guys as artists/animators?

Frickin Adorable

01-31-2014

I was under the impression that Riot wasn't releasing champions as often because they wanted to focus on visual updates and reworks. But I feel a huge lack of content from everything, vu, reworks, and new champs.

I know that reworked Xerath is coming but that isn't enough, imo. We haven't even gotten an official statement on a new champion yet.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

01-31-2014
31 of 78 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex IV View Post
That's kinda disappointing to read, not because i'm a Karthus fanboy but because aside from Sion there's probably no other character in the game that looks more outdated graphically. I think only Taric comes close to having as bad or worse particles on his spells.

Only reason I think Karthus' particles are worse because none of them even come close to fitting his theme, unless his theme is the 80's coke scene. A little pink ball that pops? A giant neon pink wall that looks like an enormous piece of jolly rancher candy? Hot pink snakes spinning around him? And the worst ultimate graphic in the game, a hot pink line attached to all his enemies heads! I know you have people working on particles that could come up with anything that would look better than what he has now.

If Karthus and his terribly outdated character model and worst particle effects in the game aren't at least top 5 on your radar that's pretty sad. Are you guys still afraid of the chinese seeing a skull or a bone or something and that's really what's holding you back? This champion could be so cool with such a small amount of changes (in relative scale to other reworks).
When did I say Karthus was not a priority?

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

01-31-2014
32 of 78 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazinger View Post
@IronStylus so the question is: Who's in the New champion team and who's in the relaunch team? Can we get names?
I don't know all of our dudes' summoner names but we basically have:

1 full time concept artist, myself and then usually 1-2 concept artists "guest starring" because they're fans of the champion and want to vision hold.

1 full time 3D guy, Grumpy Monkey, and he works with about 2-3 other 3D and texture artists.

3 full time animators at the moment, with other animators from the Champion team popping into supplement.

Rigging assets are shared across the teams so any technical artist is on any task at a given time, regardless of team. Dudes like JesterCapp and such.

1 VFX artist, RiotDudeBro, with help from another VFX artist who comes back and forth.

1 dedicated QA guy, Ququroon.

1 dedicated creative designer/writer, RiotEntropy, who will sync with the Creative team at large.

1 dedicated splash artist who reps for the splash team at large.

Other people float in and out depending on needs of departments.

The Champion team is much larger and functions differently. So yeah, we're actually a tiny team, and we not only handle the new base and all the conceptual/thematic/gameplay overhaul, but also the production tasks of the skins. It's a fair amount of work and we're pretty much just a single pod/strike team. I'm extremely pleased to work with all these guys because they're the most professional and talented people I know. It's a lean machine, and the group has an amazing dynamic. I'm very much looking forward to what we have in store for this year.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

01-31-2014
33 of 78 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0LANAR View Post
Does this mean that Evelynn will be put off for another year? She hasn't had a skin since 2010 and it's not like she's not viable, she even sees LCS play. How long does it usually take for a champion to go from concept phase to release?
She certainly won't get another skin until she gets a VU, but my hope is that we get her in sometime this year. It can take a while when we have such an ill-defined champion which needs a lot of thematic overhaul or reinforcing. That process tends to take more time than actual production often does. Right now she's a whole pile of confusion, that has to get solved. We have a few people, including myself, doing concepts, but we haven't broken ground on what she is and the thematic direction we want to take.

CupcakeTrap

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-31-2014

Quote:
IronStylus, I'm concerned that a Warwick VU could be a significant nerf, in that it might compromise certain high-level Warwick techniques:

http://imgur.com/IhzE4

Veracious Embers

01-31-2014

Quote:
not anywhere on our map for this year.
I know companies have to think long term but how can a gaming company that isn't Blizzard/Activision plan for such long terms ahead instead of working harder now because most games don't last forever.

Blizzards numbers have declined for WoW specifically but bringing 7 millions subs worth instead of 8 isnt that big a bump and they can plan accordingly because unless everyone dropped dead, they are going to have that money.
Call of Duty comes out every year and as much as we "hate" it, brings in almost guaranteed millions and planning for future games is easy.
Riot does not have that luxury. Season 2 was a peak and at this rate such an early peak that they can keep a player base because its F2P but cant possibly bring in enough funds to re-energize the game instead of just milking it until it fades away like any other game.