Ability Icons Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Skyhawke

01-31-2014

Sorry if this has been discussed at length before; I didn't see anything in a quick forum search.

Anyways, I wanted to see what people thought about the latest trends with ability icons, considering we've recently had a few updated iconsets for characters such as Soraka and Ashe.

I noticed the new Ashe iconset on the PBE has a very monochromatic scheme (blue) and many of the icons look very similar. While this is nice for a sense of solidarity, it also makes it a little hard to tell icons apart at a glance. Couldn't this be an issue for new players? While I do like that they're giving the ability icons a passover, I think that icons should probably be immediately distinguishable as well.

What does everyone think?

I'll "tag" RiotforScience because I'm not sure who actually works on the icons, but I know he's a cool guy.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

02-02-2014
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhawke View Post
Sorry if this has been discussed at length before; I didn't see anything in a quick forum search.

Anyways, I wanted to see what people thought about the latest trends with ability icons, considering we've recently had a few updated iconsets for characters such as Soraka and Ashe.

I noticed the new Ashe iconset on the PBE has a very monochromatic scheme (blue) and many of the icons look very similar. While this is nice for a sense of solidarity, it also makes it a little hard to tell icons apart at a glance. Couldn't this be an issue for new players? While I do like that they're giving the ability icons a passover, I think that icons should probably be immediately distinguishable as well.

I'll "tag" RiotforScience because I'm not sure who actually works on the icons, but I know he's a cool guy.
I relayed that feedback to the UI guys. That was actually before I read your post. Maintaining a cohesive color language while also making a distinct and readable symbol can be tricky. The icons are something that will probably be perpetually in progress.

Nuclear Dragon

02-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
I relayed that feedback to the UI guys. That was actually before I read your post. Maintaining a cohesive color language while also making a distinct and readable symbol can be tricky. The icons are something that will probably be perpetually in progress.
Excuse me, sir, but I'd like to give some feedback as well.

IF your artists INSIST on a somewhat monochromatic scheme, I implore them to please refrain from doing it with dark colors such as blue. I found, and still do, Zed's icons HIGHLY FRUSTRATING, particularly his ultimate icon. I can't tell at a glance if Zed's ultimate is on cooldown or not (takes me an extra second or two), and it has a similar color scheme to the new Ashe icons.

Tortferngatr

02-02-2014

Quote:
Hmm. Maybe add some very light tan (like wood an arrow would use) to the color palette?

It might conflict, but I'm not sure. Would it be worth a try?

DefNotKessler

02-02-2014

Quote:

OMG THANK YOU!!!!
I thought i was the only one.
I'm really not a fan of all of her abilities being blue, shouldnt they be more white?
They all just blend together too much and destroys the amount of effort put into the icons :/

exec3

02-02-2014

I wish that there was somewhere that people without PBE access could comment on PBE changes. I agree that Ashe's new icons aren't very good because they all look the same, exact same colours (dull colours at that) and just not that interesting looking.

Though I have hope Riot will fix it, they did a good job at the second pass for a bunch of the Summoner Spell changes.

Killrazor

02-02-2014

Quote:
Making the icons all one color is not the nicest idea for the most part. They end up looking very boring and they appear like they were just thrown together since they all look kinda the same at a glance. Having them distinct in color but still follow the theme of the character is a lot nicer.

Ashes icons were outdated yes, but a complete overhaul and all one color seemed pointless. Just keep the same theme/style as the original icons, but just update them.

Wertilq

02-03-2014

Quote:
I tried to ask MrStylus on twitter around same time you asked here... I have no clue who does work on the icons either.

Quote:
I personally think it's nice all her icons are ice themed it's really cool. The biggest problem is that her Q and R are too similar, rest is great. Her R need to look much more impressive. It's a giant arrow that Ashe shoots really far, it's not overly similar to her Q, except both is arrows shot by an ice archer.

baronvonross

02-03-2014

Personally, I really liked Ashe's old icon art. The new monochromatic scheme could definitely lead to some stylistic confusion (since Ashe is the first tutorial champ). When I started playing about a year and a half ago, the art style was one of the biggest draws for me. Everyone has personal preferences, but I'd hope to keep the icons as they are (except maybe just update some of the oldest ones [Sion, Trynd, Fiddle, amumu] just for the sake of readability.) If the art is readable (like Fiora's for instance), then leave it, but for some icons that are just low-res/lowly shaded I'd clean up shop.

Skyhawke

02-04-2014

Quote:
Thanks for the response, RiotForScience. If you see this reply, let the UI guys know that I really liked Master Yi's new icons--I want them to have some positive feedback as well