Ironstylus: "We're on track to release a VU every month or so."

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Godly6R

01-31-2014

Tier 1:

Taric, Pantheon, Sion, Heimerdiner, Poppy, Jax, Udyr and Kassadin all need VUs.

Tier 2:

To a lesser extent, Kog'Maw, Cho'Gath, Alkali, Ryze, Mordekaiser, Gragas and Twitch will appreciate slight graphic retouching to bring them in line with the newer champs.

Tier 3:

Rammus, Dr Mundo and Blitzcrank have up-to-date models in their higher tier skins but whose base models are lackluster as well as their base Splash Arts.

Here's a detailed explanation about why some champs were put in this list:
Gragas has a clearly outdated model and his limbs are of very poor quality in his Classic Skin. It's like he's from pre-update Runescape.

Jax's model, on the other had is not too bad but it's outdated and he's too damn small compared to the newer champs. He's from the original champ line-up and at that time humanoid champions were much smaller and he would be 'bigger' than them. However, now he looks like a purple Yoda running through the fields of justice. In addition,his crest seems to have been glued with Got2b Ultra invincible Hair Gel. It's a shame because his Splash Art is so badass and he's meant to be a badass.

Taric and Morde suffer mosly from pizza feet and a lack of polygons, though Morde's model is more polished than Taric's.

Kog is not bad but he suffers from alienation from the newer champ models and need some work with his legs and colouring. It would be more or less a small update like Garen's.

The rest of the champs are either blatantly outdated or need texture upgrades. You can browse through them here. Have a nice day!

FA Aokiji

01-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
When will the IronStylus VU be released?
Hahahaha!!!

Mazinger

01-31-2014

@IronStylus so the question is: Who's in the New champion team and who's in the relaunch team? Can we get names?

Kaiser499

01-31-2014

Meanwhile, Heroes of the Storm is around the corner. I wonder if Riot will acually...nah, let's not even think about it.

HigeR

01-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
With one relaunch, we're currently diving into yordles. It's going to set a precedent, and off of that we'll base the Great Yordle Unification Pass (YUP) of 2014 will be started. Currently our goal, even if we lack a style guide on yordles, is to bring them more in line with Ziggs and Lulu, our current standard for male and female yordles.
I think I love you... hopefully Corki, Amumu and Heimer will benefit from this as well!

namielise

01-31-2014

what about taric in that list?i think (and that's only my opinion) he needs it the most

Vortex IV

Recruiter

01-31-2014

Quote:
Karthus is in the pre-production concept phase. No ballpark date whatsoever though.

Nothing on Kassadin, but I'd like to put him into pre-production soon.
That's kinda disappointing to read, not because i'm a Karthus fanboy but because aside from Sion there's probably no other character in the game that looks more outdated graphically. I think only Taric comes close to having as bad or worse particles on his spells.

Only reason I think Karthus' particles are worse because none of them even come close to fitting his theme, unless his theme is the 80's coke scene. A little pink ball that pops? A giant neon pink wall that looks like an enormous piece of jolly rancher candy? Hot pink snakes spinning around him? And the worst ultimate graphic in the game, a hot pink line attached to all his enemies heads! I know you have people working on particles that could come up with anything that would look better than what he has now.

If Karthus and his terribly outdated character model and worst particle effects in the game aren't at least top 5 on your radar that's pretty sad. Are you guys still afraid of the chinese seeing a skull or a bone or something and that's really what's holding you back? This champion could be so cool with such a small amount of changes (in relative scale to other reworks).

JacksonSolo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-31-2014

@IronStylus

As an artist and on the re-launch team, do you work solely on champion re-launches? Or would you be involved in the SR(Maps)/Baron/Dragon/Creeps visual upgrades (re-launches) as well?

And is the rumor of a possible SR visual upgrade still on for early 2014?

Dunal

01-31-2014

Quote:
Karthus is in the pre-production concept phase. No ballpark date whatsoever though.

Nothing on Kassadin, but I'd like to put him into pre-production soon.
This is a whole lot of process of elimination, I hope you realize that! There's only just over half a dozen candidates left for the next few VUs.

So we have Sion. A member of Riot mentioned some pending kit updates to Taric that's they're currently working on (So he's 95% confirmed too). So the other two is any likely combination of Cho'/Morde/Fiddles/Morgana/Nunu & Twitch. Maybe Shaco.

Any other champions either have been deconfirmed, are not old or 'bad' enough (Vlad/LeBlanc/Irelia/Ezreal etc... Although Garen was an exception to this rule) have long term kit remakes like Poppy (99% of the time come before VUs or at the same time), need a texture update rather than a VU (Malphite/Blitz/Kog'Maw/Galio?) or was recently seen in very early development (Heimer/Singed).

I'm on to you Parrot.

Although I could be completely wrong and you have tricked us all.

If you couldn't tell, VUs are the updates I look forward too the most. I hope you know your work is appreciated! I'm just impatient, I suppose.

Solanar

01-31-2014

Quote:
Eve currently sits in the "what is she?" land of concept development. She needs something more of a hook than just "blue lady in tights". Maybe she's a shadow isles hybrid. Maybe she's a demon. She needs not just an update in fidelity, she needs a thematic overhaul. That said, she'll probably get a traditional skin to go with whatever we do with her. We're only just in the early, early phases of her development. Very slow burn.
Does this mean that Evelynn will be put off for another year? She hasn't had a skin since 2010 and it's not like she's not viable, she even sees LCS play. How long does it usually take for a champion to go from concept phase to release?