Ironstylus: "We're on track to release a VU every month or so."

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

01-30-2014
14 of 78 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyclone Joker View Post
So I understand that things need time to cook before you can serve them to us, but with how little actual content was produced over the past year in comparison to other years does this mean you've had many things cooking for a while? Are any of these potential dishes almost ready to eat?

When you were a smaller company you were able to put out 1 champ and about 2-5 skins every two weeks. Now that you have more employees you struggle to do that much in an entire month. Why is that? I understand the champion releases were slowed down, which is great. But why did that also slow down balance patches, bug fixes, and virtually every other thing we used to get every two weeks? If you guys used to be able to create, model, etc 1 champion and release them consistently on a two week schedule why can you not do reworks even quicker? Would getting into a two week patch schedule again be so much work for you guys? Maybe 1 champion release and then two weeks later 1 rework.

Is there any reason why it's unreasonable to expect a champion and a half per month from current Riot with your obviously improved work force when you used to do two a month with your smaller work force?
This is a big discussion, and one that's going on internally. Cadence, quality, amount of content. All being discussed from Relaunch to Champion to Skins. Good conversations. Hopefully those answers can be provided sooner than later. As of right now, I'm not the best person to answer these questions. But they're good and valid ones.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

01-30-2014
15 of 78 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeref View Post
Honestly, IronStylus, I do very much enjoy how much work goes into League of Legends daily. That being said, I think you guys are looking at it at the wrong way. Why only limit yourself to one relaunch per month? I feel like the best approach would be to release something when it is done, not per schedule. I'm fine waiting some time for relaunch, how long have we been waiting about Sion and Poppy? A little while is not going to make much of a difference, but I would definitely rather wait until they are at their 100%, rather than staying to a one month quota. This also goes for champion releases too, unless you are purposely slowing down the champion design process that way the League isn't filled with hundreds of champions, and that the overall quality can be greater.

tl;dr release stuff when its done
The goals is not to drop a date and have it done by then, the idea is to have enough stuff in the works, staggered if need be, and have it pop out in it's full done-ness at a general ballpark projected time. The time it takes to create the content dictates the time frame. There are no "deadlines" per se.

Ridiculed

01-30-2014

Have you guys ever talked about Zilean?
Granted he's not as bad as say Sion on the "he need's some love" list, but as a very large fan of Zilean as a whole I have to say that he needs some love.

After the changes to every other global range spell, ability and passive I figure he's on the hit list.
I also was seriously worried about him getting hit with the "nerf-bat" after seeing some LCS play.

I guess I'd just like someone else to be worried about one of my favorite heroes like I am, because noone even talks about Zilean any more.

ProfDrDeath

01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
There's a mix of reasons. Some of it is resource allocation, some of it is the philosophical things we've talked about previously. We're sort of sitting on a clump of content that's close to being done, but polish and a few sort of.. existential things need to be resolved.

I know that sounds vague, it's hard for me to describe. A lot of what we do sort of revolves around: "Is this _____?" as in, what makes this champion? Every step of the way we ask ourselves, does this animation set, does this model, does this VO, feel like an updated/enhanced/re-envisioned version of that character. That's a very methodical process with a lot of feedback and a lot of work done based on that feedback. While yes, I'd love to fire out content week after week, we have to do our due diligence. My hope is that our pace picks back up and we can hit 1 per month. That's my hope at least.
So, basically, like that knot in the telefon cable (yes, those things used to have cables) in comics, where all the ringing is behind the knot and gets released instantly with a RIIIINNNNNNNNNNGGGGGG?

I'm pumped.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

01-30-2014
16 of 78 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozyIceMaN View Post
It was mentioned last year that Ryze already had a model finished for a VU...any news on when that might drop?
Because he's pretty straight forward and we didn't see any real need to dramatically shift him, we did a model (Grumpy Monkey did it in his spare time actually) and it's hanging out. Though that's "done" we still have to go through the motions to make sure it lives up to where we want him conceptually then of course go through actual production along with his skins. We don't have him on the board yet. My hope is later this year, no certainty on that though.

CynicalGiant

01-30-2014

I hope you guys make Warwick as awesome as Rengar. All the visual effects, the voice and just how he walks and attacks is so awesome and I personally think that Rengar is one of the best thematic deliveries you guys have done in this game.

Make Warwick have actual body armor instead of the weird shoulder pads + loin cloth. Give him a similar awesome outfit like Rengar has.

Also, I even had some ideas that Human Warwick was the one that taught Rengar how to hunt and he eventually became the Wolfman we know today.

"Rengar never knew his real parents, but was raised by a human who was revered as a legendary hunter."

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

01-30-2014
17 of 78 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lef View Post
I'm curious where they feel the Re-launch program begins/ends in terms of aged champions. Is this just an eventuality this for all champions? Is this for the original 40? Is it prompted by internal factors that we don't see?
What champions are specifically up for rework, and what are the defining traits of them?

That's a tough one..

We don't even know ourselves. Right now, we're even looking at champions as recent as last year possibly being on the hit list, probably not for complete overhauls, but at least TU's. I can feasibly seeing us going up at least until mid 2011 and still be deep in the initiative.

We'll see, it'll evolve. Every character is different in it's needs.

It's prompted by a lot of factors from individual dev interest in particular character, something needed for an event, an arising opportunity because of new tech being developed that we can piggy back a relaunch onto, and a lot of other stuff. Characters are relaunched for all different reasons and at different tiers. That makes things really fluid.

I can't answer what champions are currently in the timeline aside from Sion which people already know about.

Mirage Night

01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Eve currently sits in the "what is she?" land of concept development. She needs something more of a hook than just "blue lady in tights". Maybe she's a shadow isles hybrid. Maybe she's a demon. She needs not just an update in fidelity, she needs a thematic overhaul. That said, she'll probably get a traditional skin to go with whatever we do with her. We're only just in the early, early phases of her development. Very slow burn.
I think for eve, it would be a great Idea to bring the community into it, it would give the ability for us to understand the work flow for something like this. It would also be nice to have a hand in her evolution per say.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

01-30-2014
18 of 78 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Aurora View Post
Can we actually get involved as community? I'm working on a few documents about how I'd go about changing a few champions or items... I'd love to pitch them your way...

Or did you make a mistake and mean "getting"
I'd suggest throwing your pitches towards the new Beta community and see if they have a way to incorporate the things you're suggesting.

Ophirr

01-30-2014

There's only one thing that I desperately want to see, and that's some kickass stuff from the lore team. From the sounds of it, it's as if they're amassing a giant arsenal of amazing stories and emotional character developments, and they're just waiting to unleash it upon Runeterra. I can see it now... it's beautiful...