Ironstylus: "We're on track to release a VU every month or so."

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Noraver

01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
There's a lot coming this year. I think you'll be pleased with the results.
That's what you guys said last year...

"Expect the unexpected."

Gotta say, biweekly champions were more interesting (And still had amazing art and gameplay) than some of the stuff that's been released recently.

Draven, for example. Everyone loves him, great art, smooth animations, fun as hell.

Last year's content?
Don't get me started on Quinn and Lissandra..
Great lore and community interaction, but they've been forgotten and are both out-shined.
I wouldn't even call them niche picks, because they have no niche to fill.

Gerbiez

01-30-2014

Super pumped!

ragn4rok234

01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanical Heart View Post
^
^

Avalon Bright

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2014

Quote:
That said, we have aspirations to do a relaunch per month, but it's not a hard deliverable we must hit. It's what we want to hit. It's what we plan to hit, but it's not always feasible if we encounter problems.
Just like that "3-4 weeks between champions" last year, huh? How's that 7 weeks since Yasuo and not even a teaser for the newcomer going, again? Yeah...

Vortan1

01-30-2014

One per month? January is over...

Trijan

01-30-2014

Quote:
Currently we have 4 VU's/Relaunches in the pipe, including the Sion relaunch which is a while out. Not going to spoil what's grouped into our launch cadence but we're now beginning to project what's going to slot in between other slotted relaunches if Sion's takes a while longer.

That said, we have aspirations to do a relaunch per month, but it's not a hard deliverable we must hit. It's what we want to hit. It's what we plan to hit, but it's not always feasible if we encounter problems.

Problems can be anything from the theme of the character being unclear and how we go about tackling that more philosophical side of a relaunch. That can sometime be the biggest point of contention. Production is often easy. Modelling, animation, VFX, while challenging is often more of a straight forward process and series of deliverables than something that's a lot more malleable and subjective like the concepting/thematic solidification theme.

In addition to process and concepting, we also had a fairly long break over the holidays, and that's pretty standard not to be producing content during that time. We had about 3 champions in various states of completion before we left. Some near the end of production, some in the middle, some at the end of the concept phase. Who knows, we might end up having a few close proximity VU's together because we have a couple of champions as a pretty late state hanging out in the polish phase. Not sure.

Either way, it's the beginning of the year, and we only recently got back into full steam. There's a lot coming this year. I think you'll be pleased with the results.
I don't mean to whine but.... How long has it been since you posted on that Quinn thread about her being completely irrelevant...?

Brale Bane Power

01-30-2014

Rumble in 2025? When the technology will be available for his "VERY HARD" rig. Any word on this IronStylus? Or again .... nothing.

Djiimon

01-30-2014

Riot's biggest issue is that LoL is there only source of revenue, so they have to allocate resources to projects that will make them money. If Riot were to somehow produce other games (become a developer? they have the creative force) or if eSports (Pro Gaming is what it should really be called though) were to really take off and provide them with steady cash flow, then I feel like we would see an increase non-money generating projects like splash updates, Reworks, VU's, fixing the client and ungodly number of bugs, etc.

Psyclone Joker

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2014

So I understand that things need time to cook before you can serve them to us, but with how little actual content was produced over the past year in comparison to other years does this mean you've had many things cooking for a while? Are any of these potential dishes almost ready to eat?

When you were a smaller company you were able to put out 1 champ and about 2-5 skins every two weeks. Now that you have more employees you struggle to do that much in an entire month. Why is that? I understand the champion releases were slowed down, which is great. But why did that also slow down balance patches, bug fixes, and virtually every other thing we used to get every two weeks? If you guys used to be able to create, model, etc 1 champion and release them consistently on a two week schedule why can you not do reworks even quicker? Would getting into a two week patch schedule again be so much work for you guys? Maybe 1 champion release and then two weeks later 1 rework.

Is there any reason why it's unreasonable to expect a champion and a half per month from current Riot with your obviously improved work force when you used to do two a month with your smaller work force?

Treafa

01-30-2014

Xerath, Urgot, Rengar, Sion . These are the ones that are likely coming based on PBE.