Ironstylus: "We're on track to release a VU every month or so."

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

01-30-2014
1 of 78 Riot Posts

Currently we have 4 VU's/Relaunches in the pipe, including the Sion relaunch which is a while out. Not going to spoil what's grouped into our launch cadence but we're now beginning to project what's going to slot in between other slotted relaunches if Sion's takes a while longer.

That said, we have aspirations to do a relaunch per month, but it's not a hard deliverable we must hit. It's what we want to hit. It's what we plan to hit, but it's not always feasible if we encounter problems.

Problems can be anything from the theme of the character being unclear and how we go about tackling that more philosophical side of a relaunch. That can sometime be the biggest point of contention. Production is often easy. Modelling, animation, VFX, while challenging is often more of a straight forward process and series of deliverables than something that's a lot more malleable and subjective like the concepting/thematic solidification theme.

In addition to process and concepting, we also had a fairly long break over the holidays, and that's pretty standard not to be producing content during that time. We had about 3 champions in various states of completion before we left. Some near the end of production, some in the middle, some at the end of the concept phase. Who knows, we might end up having a few close proximity VU's together because we have a couple of champions as a pretty late state hanging out in the polish phase. Not sure.

Either way, it's the beginning of the year, and we only recently got back into full steam. There's a lot coming this year. I think you'll be pleased with the results.

OuttaControl56

01-30-2014

10/10 response would give a cracker.

The MechE

01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaControl56 View Post
10/10 response would give a cracker.
^

DrMrSisterFister

01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
There's a lot coming this year. I think you'll be pleased with the results.
Forgive me for not believing you guys after this was said last year.

Feed Zac Candy

01-30-2014

IronStylus I found a parrot gif i think you'll love.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Newparrot.gif
Views:	5048
Size:	661.2 KB
ID:	887117

Pangrine

01-30-2014

Quote:
Either way, it's the beginning of the year, and we only recently got back into full steam. There's a lot coming this year. I think you'll be pleased with the results.
So basically, "Expect the unexpected" v2.0?

Just Mid

01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Zac Candy View Post
IronStylus I found a parrot gif i think you'll love.
Attachment 887117
My life is complete

teeler swagging

01-30-2014

Quote:
Currently we have 4 VU's/Relaunches in the pipe, including the Sion relaunch which is a while out. Not going to spoil what's grouped into our launch cadence but we're now beginning to project what's going to slot in between other slotted relaunches if Sion's takes a while longer.

That said, we have aspirations to do a relaunch per month, but it's not a hard deliverable we must hit. It's what we want to hit. It's what we plan to hit, but it's not always feasible if we encounter problems.

Problems can be anything from the theme of the character being unclear and how we go about tackling that more philosophical side of a relaunch. That can sometime be the biggest point of contention. Production is often easy. Modelling, animation, VFX, while challenging is often more of a straight forward process and series of deliverables than something that's a lot more malleable and subjective like the concepting/thematic solidification theme.

In addition to process and concepting, we also had a fairly long break over the holidays, and that's pretty standard not to be producing content during that time. We had about 3 champions in various states of completion before we left. Some near the end of production, some in the middle, some at the end of the concept phase. Who knows, we might end up having a few close proximity VU's together because we have a couple of champions as a pretty late state hanging out in the polish phase. Not sure.

Pretty sure this is just a revamped version of what is said every year while they make less and less.

Just admit the team is lazy and you'll get my cheers.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

01-30-2014
2 of 78 Riot Posts

Also, we're still hammering out process, especially with the aforementioned concept phase. That's not just concept art, that's also thematic clarification/overhaul. Creating some pillars for the character, reinforcing/revamping story, and generally figuring out how to capture charm. It's a very intense process actually because unlike champions or skins, what we're dealing with has a ton of emotion attached to it. Everyone has an opinion and everyone has feedback. It can be challenging to navigate those waters, but it's our job to come to a consensus. With a large group of passionate people, that consensus takes a lot of discussion.

We're still figuring out how to best approach that concepting process. Get people involved, pitching in, and letting people who are passionate drive the product and hold vision. I've found myself not doing as much straight forward concept work, but rather finding who's passionate about a relaunch and getting them assigned as the primary artist. I think that's a better allocation of my time and better way to insure people feel included.

It's a process fraught with challenges and emotions but we're working on it.

Coldmanj

01-30-2014

This is awesome to hear, I just wish I could be a part of it on the PBE testing side. this is exactly the kind of thing I would enjoy and could give extensive feedback on with my background in design and love of lore.

I know its far fetched but if you happen to read this Ironstylus and are willing/able to send this on to those involved with the PBE signup, I know I can and would give amazing feedback.