What we expected when Riot said "Support Utility will scale with AP"

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Deandra

01-29-2014

bump

Morello

Lead Designer

01-29-2014
1 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priamos View Post
Lulu turning people into racecars
Janna basically snaring enemies with W and granting gigantic AD bonuses with E
Sona's heals, damage, and auras being strong enough to make her a viable pick.
Soraka firing off massive MR Shreds and long silences.

What we got:

Thresh/Leona/Annie being the only supports in the game.
So, two things:

1) Agree support scaling needs a tuning pass. More follow-up we need to do there.
2) Stop with the "ONLY NON-SUPPORTS ARE IN-GAME" when Lulu, Nami, Taric and even some Janna are getting played in lieu of this. Don't overblow a reasonable critique of the scaling satisfaction with false and sensationalized statements.

Telosa

01-29-2014

This is WAY too accurate. The underlying idea was sound (give underused/weaker supports huge buffs to their utility and slightly decrease their base damages to allow for scaling), but they nerfed all of the supports to the point that only naturally tanky supports who scaled well with CDR were capable of supporting anymore. The only support I'd honestly happy with after the changes are Nami (who essentially received no nerfs and just got utility ratios on her E/passive) and Lulu (who was initially nerfed, but she was essentially returned to her pre-nerf values and got scaling ratios on her passive, Q and W to boot), but neither of them are capable of supporting in the current meta.

2nd Chance

01-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priamos View Post
Don't just upvote, bump!
Dang it, I upvoted then saw this, so forced bump e-e

Edit: Oh hey it's the red post ice bird :l *Reads* ... uh... so um... when is that fine tuning coming? All I saw on PBE notes recently for supports was Sona getting nerfs that were reversed so that they aren't on the live servers... and she's weak enough already man when compaired to other supports right now e-elll... give her a slight buff if anything.

TimmyWimmyWooWoo

01-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
So, two things:

1) Agree support scaling needs a tuning pass. More follow-up we need to do there.
2) Stop with the "ONLY NON-SUPPORTS ARE IN-GAME" when Lulu, Nami, Taric and even some Janna are getting played in lieu of this. Don't overblow a reasonable critique of the scaling satisfaction with false and sensationalized statements.
False & sensationalized statements are all we have because the community can't access the raw data you can.
So in soloque in my experience I might only see annie/leona/thresh.
You want us to remember that we don't know real win rates then remember we don't know actual play rates.

Mappy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2014

Quote:
So, two things:

They are absolutely, good situational picks.

But quite honestly, you can't deny thresh/leona/annie are overall much superior options.

DM DunkMaster

01-29-2014

Quote:
So, two things:

Except they aren't and you are (as usual) talking out of your ass for the attempt of excusing your inability to properly balance the game.

Epjest

01-29-2014

Quote:
So, two things:

While I myself have played a great game of Janna since the changes, I'd be interested in any competitive game she was featured in.

I don't recall any NA or EU LCS play, perhaps OGN Champions or Garena have seen her?

MachoSaurus

01-29-2014

Quote:
So, two things:

Your design team needs to realize your playbase isn't part of esports. As viable as these champs may be in competitive scene, they're are garbo in comparison to Leona, Thresh, Annie in soloq.

TimmyWimmyWooWoo

01-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epjest View Post
While I myself have played a great game of Janna since the changes, I'd be interested in any competitive game she was featured in.

I don't recall any NA or EU LCS play, perhaps OGN Champions or Garena have seen her?
Pretty sure urgot was played sooner.