Can we talk about balancing priority?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Maulkrieg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2014

Why is MF getting touch-ups when she's in an okay spot already?

We have champions like Graves, Kog, and Urgot that haven't seen consistent play in a long, long time. Why haven't they gotten any attention from Riot?

I feel like Riot tries to put A- champs up where the A champs are, while only nerfing A+ champs, when what really needs to happen is all of A- through A+ is nerfed to around B level so more than 1/6 of the cast is reliable.

Maulkrieg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2014

Bump

BlazingSalvo

01-29-2014

Speaking of priority, why does my Vi's red buff take my blue buff and not augmented Death Ray's DOT?

Maulkrieg

01-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingSalvo View Post
Speaking of priority, why does my Vi's red buff take my blue buff and not augmented Death Ray's DOT?
The DoT on Death Ray is a lot weaker than you think, even if it sounds strong.

BlazingSalvo

01-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maulkrieg View Post
The DoT on Death Ray is a lot weaker than you think, even if it sounds strong.
The ticks of damage would be applied simultaneously in theory. It doesn't matter how strong each tick is, but rather, whichever tick was the final to apply at X HP. Both are applied every half-second, and neutral monsters have no MR, so a rank 3 120 AP E has a DOT of 9 every half second, whereas lizard buff would deal 5x2+8=18, or 9 true damage every half second level 5, so it would be almost strict 50% chance.
What determines the order of application? Time of application? IDK

edit: And to answer your question - Graves has seen more play then MF in pro play and in general, even though MF saw a LOT of play more recently than Graves saw a LOT of play. I feel like MF is in a worse spot. There were a few interesting tweaks to graves on reddit suggested in a few threads, but he needs at most just 1-2 small changes, whether it be an attack speed revert, range increase, or one interesting idea was bonus armor pen the closer a target is to him (So he is rewarded for humping that Shyvana) giving him a good niche as a close range brawler.

MF needed a ton of help.

EDIT2: *bows down before Morello*

Morello

Lead Designer

01-29-2014
1 of 3 Riot Posts

Awesome question. I'll answer in two parts;

1) We basically have not have centralized prioritization as the game and team has scaled. We've failed to do this consistently with non-emergency issues (nerfs due to pro play that needs to happen now, etc).

Much of this is due to allowing people to work on "passion projects" a lot - something I think is cool and like to support. Passionate people put out better work, and finding something you're inspired to improve the experience for is noble.

The issue with this is it means we don't focus on the most important work available on this front. This is probably in my top 3 of things to personally solve, and we have a good team structure that should allow this to occur. I'd like to include room for passion projects, but we need to be better about making getting to our priorities.

2) Consistent play is sometimes a trend, and that's fine. Some champions should go months without play if they have specific strengths and weaknesses (Kog, for example). This means they fall in and out of favor based on other factors, which is a good indicator of a healthy system. I don't think your examples are prone to this, but I don't think it should be the indicator we use to judge what needs help when we have time to opportunistically fix something.

It's something we're actively working on fixing. We've also added some more manpower to the team so we can get more done, too!

Maulkrieg

01-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingSalvo View Post
The ticks of damage would be applied simultaneously in theory. It doesn't matter how strong each tick is, but rather, whichever tick was the final to apply at X HP. Both are applied every half-second, and neutral monsters have no MR, so a rank 3 120 AP E has a DOT of 9 every half second, whereas lizard buff would deal 5x2+8=18, or 9 true damage every half second level 5, so it would be almost strict 50% chance.
What determines the order of application? Time of application? IDK
Time of application. CC, DoTs, and other effects do not apply on specific ticks of time, but rather at certain intervals after application. It would pretty much alternate between red buff damaging it and your DoT damaging it, meaning its pretty much chance if blue's under 30 hp and nobody wants to actually last hit it.

01-30-2014

fix eve's ult man. that skill makes 0 sense on an assassin. also the physical damage on her e... Was the balancing team replaced with a bunch of potatoes?

Raphael JR

01-30-2014

They dont do that just with balancing, take a look at skins, some champions get skins so often its not normal, some dont get a skin ever :
Rumble,Trundle,Skarner.
On the other hand, anivia,morgana,teemo,annie

The very fact that Vi,Zyra,Elise got skins BEFORE Rumble,trundle,Karma, skarner and several others is INSANE.

Maulkrieg

01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Snip
A great answer, but in a way it doesn't sit well with me.

Shouldn't the team be partitioned, with a select few working on a passion project, while the rest work on the current state of A- to A+ champions, relative to B champions, or is that basically impossible due to them working with upcoming champion reworks?

I'd just feel better if some champions that are never mentioned by Riot got some attention. If you want my honest opinion, only seeing 20 or so champions ever mentioned outside of reworks is disheartening and making me lose faith in the future of the game.

Also, while you're here, would you mind talking about spellvamp with me? I have a couple of inquiries about your thoughts on its current state and what you want it to be.