@RIOT: Please add an option to disable automatic smart cast

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Crimson Mutt

01-25-2014

It shouldn't be too hard to "untangle" it.

Even if it is, why was it tangled in the first place? It makes no sense and it's bad coding.

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=4218527

boourns

UI Designer

01-27-2014
5 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Mutt View Post
It shouldn't be too hard to "untangle" it.

Even if it is, why was it tangled in the first place? It makes no sense and it's bad coding.

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=4218527
I'm sure it seems so in theory. The devil is in the details! I could give you a long story about the history of Riot and the sacrifices that startups make in order to get a product in your hands before they run out of money. We have done things that in retrospect we would not do again. Sometimes we had good reasons to at the time, and sometimes we just didn't know enough to do any better. Our company is primarily composed of people and we are undeniably imperfect. All we can do is to continually try to improve ourselves and the game. Also, I am not an engineer so my explanation is not as nuanced as someone who knows more about the system.

BTW, if you believe this is something that you can fix, I strongly suggest you apply for a job at Riot. We have literally hired people because they were passionate about fixing a problem in the game and we believed they could.

Vacus

01-27-2014

So related to this thread, I decided to play Yasuo for the first time the other day.

It was ****ing horrible. I had absolutely no idea what the range of my Q was; I couldn't get a range indicator and the animation is so feeble I couldn't see any clear delimiters on it. The third-Q animation (the whirlwind) was clear enough, but the two charging up ones? The only way I could even tell if I hit anyone with it is if their hp bar dropped. That is not proper feedback and that is not good design.

If we're not going to be able to turn off auto smart cast, or even get smartcast range indicators on them, then any ability that is auto smart cast by default needs to be very clear when used what the area of effect is; Karthus Q is a good example. You cast a Q as Karthus and you immediately are 100% sure on the area of effect. Yasuo's Q? Not even a little bit clear. I hated it and probably will never play Yasuo again as a result; or, at least, not until the issue is dealt with.