Working at Riot

First Riot Post
12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

brave johnny

01-27-2014

Dear Summoners,

Hi I am currently a high school student that is trying to plan my life out. My dream of course is to work at riot games. My only problem is, I am wondering what I should do if I want to pursue my career. If any Riot employees can help me out on this subject that would be great. I know it will be a long time till I get to my dream job if I do, but it is always good to plan ahead. I live about 2 hours away from the Santa Monica studio and cant wait to here back.

Thank You,
bravejohnny

Arcus Diabolus

01-27-2014

I dont suggest aiming for Riot.

As depressing as the thought sounds, by the time you get out of college, unless Riot as developed a new game, they will be nonexistent. League simply will not travel that far on its own, as with many many games that came before it.

As a game developer in training myself in college, don't set your plans out for any particular group. Go with whoever will take your skill set. If Riot will take you, perfect, but you might not have that option.

Josephine

01-27-2014

^ You're in college and you can't even spell it.
This is our generation.

Feminist Leona

01-27-2014

What kind of a position would you like to hold? Are you an artist? A writer? A beginning programmer?

I only know about programming, because that's what I do for a living. You have to know imporant languages, like BASIC.

Dark Shinobi 93: Make a a collage. Plz?

Also, STOP downvoting Josephine. Grammar snipes on the internet are important.

Zosma

01-27-2014

...i dont think we care-

Arcus Diabolus

01-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephine View Post
This is our generation.
lol oh shaddap, I'm tired.

EDIT: D-Did I say something offensive here? I'm sorry if I did but, why the friggin downvote??

Reiizm

01-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephine View Post
This is our generation.
The point we're trying to get across is less important than our grammar.
This is our generation.

Grymninja

01-27-2014

BLIZARD BLUD DK OP A'F WTF GHOSTCRAWLER JUST NERF WAR MOAR WEN WE COMPLAYNE BLIZARD PLS.

...seriously though I'm in the same boat as you but yeah, riot will be gone. Currently there's Bungie, Bethesda, Valve, Ubisoft, Activision and it's sub-companies (Blizzard, I think Treyarch as well?). Those are some big names but you'll just have to see what's doing well at the time.

I suggest a degree in comp sci, game programming, graphic design. Something art or programming related. Maybe get a business degree and enter through another position ( player feedback, skin pricing, w.e). It doesn't have to be game design.

To work for companies like these though, you'll need to stand out. Confidence. Passion. And ...something more. Bring something to the table that surpasses the bare minimum.

Mr Fuzzy Nugget

01-27-2014

As someone who's already planned that part out for myself, I suggest you come up to Washington and go to DigiPen. One of the highest rated schools for what you're trying to do. People there get job offers before they even graduate (finish studies though)

They worked closely with Nintendo and Microsoft. Hell, one of the students there had the idea for the blue and orange gel in Portal 2.

But I highly recommend you do NOT plan 4+ years down the line to work for Riot. League of Legends will probably be gone by the time you graduate and there are companies like Bungie that offer much better employee benefits.

tl;dr go to college. pick a company for the benefits and not the game.

Feminist Leona

01-27-2014

In all seriousness, though, if you want to get anywhere near the renderer, you will need to be a C++, Direct3D and linear algebra god.

12345 ... 6