Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

01-25-2014
51 of 92 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortferngatr View Post
Incidentally, could I perhaps start sister threads for the Crystal Scar, TT, and HA? More just for tinkering purposes at this point in time (for TT/HA it's more about tweaks/once-in-a-blue-moon map event ideas--for the aging Crystal Scar I think we can suggest bigger) but I thought it would be worth looking at things we can do to improve or tweak the other maps.
Great idea, I have been meaning to do this for a while. Post a link to them on this thread when you do so I can find them. Thanks!

(If you can't do it before Monday, I will whip them up during lunch.)

Cyfr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-25-2014

Just mirror the image.

Fizzeroni

01-25-2014

What I think would be cool is adding animals, not on the initial lanes, but in the forests. Have them move, poke their heads out from the trees or scurry away when someone steps near. Add fish in the rivers, and mini-baron babies swimming around the chamber, leaping out to eat small birds or the likes. I think that it would add a more natural feel to the game, rather than make it feel like you are stuck in an arena. I don't know if this counts as the Ambient Life idea that was already posted, but it's worth the shot.

SpyCloak

01-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
Rotating the camera seems more simple than it actually is. Our game is optimized for the single camera angle, which means that any polygon not facing our camera is deleted in order to maintain performance. Additionally all of our art is also optimized for that camera, which means that each asset in the map is carefully placed to prevent characters and effects from being able to hide behind art. If we rotated the camera those assets would allow characters to hide all over the map. In Twisted Treeline and Howling Abyss we really embraced this camera to make art that feels very organic by basically adding geometry to paintings. The downside of this technique is that those assets are 1-sided and do not allow much camera manipulation. However,we are continuing to explore solutions to this problem.
Riot, stahp!!!
The real problem is that you don't give priority to camera.
Use two algorithms for each camera... or create a better... i don't care... you can do it.
Put the new camera (flip or rotate 90) on PBE and you will have a nice feedback.

Tiriram

01-27-2014

Hello RiotForScience!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this thread <3

One thing that I feel that lacks completely in the current visuals of SR is a logic behind the towers/inhibitors vulnerability chain. It just feels completely arbitrary.

If there could be some lines of power, circles, runes, etc, to highlight which objects are invulnerable because of which it would be so cool. Also you can have a loading circle around inhibitors to show when they're respawning. Something like crystal scar I guess.

Imagine those epic moments when nexus is alone and akmost dead and then an inhibitor respaws and POUF nexus is invulnerable. Well it would we even more awesome with some visuals to indicate that nexus is now invunerable and to link this event to the inhibitor having respawned. I think that it will also add some readability especially for newer players =)

RiotForScience

01-27-2014
52 of 92 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiriram View Post
Hello RiotForScience!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this thread <3

One thing that I feel that lacks completely in the current visuals of SR is a logic behind the towers/inhibitors vulnerability chain. It just feels completely arbitrary.

If there could be some lines of power, circles, runes, etc, to highlight which objects are invulnerable because of which it would be so cool. Also you can have a loading circle around inhibitors to show when they're respawning. Something like crystal scar I guess.

Imagine those epic moments when nexus is alone and akmost dead and then an inhibitor respaws and POUF nexus is invulnerable. Well it would we even more awesome with some visuals to indicate that nexus is now invunerable and to link this event to the inhibitor having respawned. I think that it will also add some readability especially for newer players =)
That is completely true, and honestly it is something that had slipped my mind. It is tricky to implement without it feeling too sci-fi. We are exploring different ways of explaining this.

PenguinPaladin

01-27-2014

Maybe a leyline running out through each lane under all the structures?

And you could get a sort of runic shield going on around the nexus while it's invincible, with a cool animation for when your inhibitors respawn.

If anything besides the nexus is going to have particles to show they're invincible, I think they should get more subdued (though still noticeable) as you get further from the nexuses.

Stuff like this would make the nexuses feel more like the important sources of magical energy they are.

ItemsGuy

01-27-2014

Quote:
That is completely true, and honestly it is something that had slipped my mind. It is tricky to implement without it feeling too sci-fi. We are exploring different ways of explaining this.
Huh, not too sure how this falls into sci-fi more than fantasy--using runes and ley lines (which Dawngate uses as a fantastic way to present clear, visual information to players). Although, considering you guys seemed to have ditched the whole "Fields of Justice are moderated by powerful wizards, hence why champions can respawn and why summoners are a thing etc." spiel and decided for a much more pre-postmodern "everyone's just fighting in a field" (which seems like more of a DotA 2 thing) approach, I'm not sure how elegantly it would work.

Either way, runes and other such indicators aren't too much of a stretch for summoner's rift, considering the context *is* Runeterra where magic and stuff is a thing, and that it already happens on the seemingly-forgotten Dominion map.

Mandaari

01-27-2014

Quote:
Rotating the camera seems more simple than it actually is. Our game is optimized for the single camera angle, which means that any polygon not facing our camera is deleted in order to maintain performance. Additionally all of our art is also optimized for that camera, which means that each asset in the map is carefully placed to prevent characters and effects from being able to hide behind art. If we rotated the camera those assets would allow characters to hide all over the map. In Twisted Treeline and Howling Abyss we really embraced this camera to make art that feels very organic by basically adding geometry to paintings. The downside of this technique is that those assets are 1-sided and do not allow much camera manipulation. However,we are continuing to explore solutions to this problem.
Could you just ray cast from the camera to units on the map and make any terrain semi-transparent?

Or make terrain pixels within X distance of visible units semi-transparent.

That would mean you don't have to redo the terrain other than modeling.

RiotForScience

01-28-2014
53 of 92 Riot Posts

There are a lot of other games that take that approach. We considered it for a while, but at the end of the day we felt like the world-building solution was the most conducive to competitive play... meaning that since your opponents and allies would also need to ghost the terrain, it would be much cleaner to just build the terrain in such a way that people do not occlude... from the main camera angle.