Why I'm concerned about Riven

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 22
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Maximum Riven

01-26-2014

Ok, look, I've come off as whiny so I'm going to try a thoughtful post for you this time.

On PBE, the current set of live Riven nerfs felt fine to me- however, on review I've started to feel as if the gameplay experience on PBE is grossly divorced from reality. Let me give you an example of what I mean.

I fully expected the nerfs to drop her overall winrate somewhere back in the 48% range- nerfs always drop champion winrate and she was hovering around 50% prior- but they were much more substantial than that in overall impact and we can clearly see this on a summary review of her metrics via lolking. She lost 5% winrate virtually overnight. That takes a catastrophically strong hit to a champion.

But why? My experience with her doesn't seem to have changed much save one key detail- her very early game feels extremely vulnerable to bullying now. Since Riven has one of the lowest hp5 values in the game, this early bullying is very effective vs her and can easily shove her out lane, preventing a recovery when she hits her 'trade evenly' point around level 4.

Secondly, her shield is simply not an effective tool in the toplane. It borders on useless against DOTs, including ignite, and most toplaners don't have the attack speed required for it to mitigate much. Sustained damage dealers simply don't notice it's mitigation value right now, and DoT champions like teemo always get free damage through it. It is still effective against burst rotation champions like Renekton, but anyone who deals their damage in a slow or sustained fashion might as well ignore the shield value.

Given her low durability, these two things combined are sufficient to open her up to early bullying to a huge degree, and given her snowball reliance, this basically means you have to outskill your opponent by a wide margin to win, or get ganks. She's simply zoned levels 1-3. It's very disappointing for a champion who RELIES on early snowballing to lack early game trading power and to be forced into a passive role in lane. To mitigate it, she can start dorans shield and utilize defense masteries- but these are both just stopgap measures, and they'll doubtless be nerfed.

Midlane, she's still alright enough. Yes, though, I do feel she's genuinely horrid top. People who want to play her but aren't extremely practiced don't deserve an automatic loss.

Albegade

01-26-2014

Shut up, no one cares faceroller. I don't know what you expect. How about just giving a win when you select her in champ select. Oh wait...

Maximum Riven

01-26-2014

As I thought GD doesn't care about reasons either.

May as well just spam.

Kuro Pichu

01-26-2014

I seriously think that you need a break from this game.

Maximum Riven

01-26-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuro Pichu View Post
I seriously think that you need a break from this game.
I'm literally the only one who will talk about this.

I keep getting messages from people on my friends list who mained her expressing their disappointment at how weak she is, but nobody cares to bear the brunt of GD's criticism about it.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

01-26-2014
1 of 2 Riot Posts

It's not a 5% drop. If you look at mid elo its a decent amount, and probably correlates to people adapting, but it was like 1-2ish% for higher tier play. My assumption is that things will catch up as people adapt, but I assure you that the core gameplay team is monitoring this situation closely and won't be comfortable in a world where Riven is actually not playable.

The other elephant in the room here is that Riven doesn't have great counterplay, so she runs a risk of when she is OP at all, becoming a snowball steamroller. Shield duration is one such intended change that should improve counterplay somewhat by providing a better window for opponents to exploit, and more of a need for Riven to time it's use.

- Zileas

Demacian Dunk

01-26-2014

ITT we learn Maximum Garbage is butthurt that he can no longer just spam all his abilities and never learn how to cancel aa and spell animations to win game

The Mechy

01-26-2014

OP speaks the truth. Win rate dropped by 4-5%. Quite painful

Zileas must be able to get better data than me. Looks like a 4-5% drop to me. Maybe 3% depending on where you're looking.

Definitely don't want to play her in silver, LOL.

Edit: Your down votes taste good. OM NOM NOM NOM! Silver players

ZeroAgainst

01-26-2014

meanwhile rumble nerfs

BattleBootyRiven

01-26-2014

win rates mean nothing doe...:^) leesin LOOL

1234511 ... 22