Ranked Win with score 0/103/0 ... yes...103 deaths...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sanderpower

01-26-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Door View Post
Making bans more meaningful would probably help; utilizing a much harsher punishment volcano couldn't hurt the situation either.

The League of Legends client should identify the hardware IDs for the system on which it is installed. If an account is banned and a person attempts to create a new one, the system sees that a user tied to that machine (via Hardware ID) has been banned and does not allow them to create an account. Yes, of course, someone can go out and buy a new video card or some other piece of hardware and thus throw off the system, but at least it hits the troll in the pocket book a bit.

Giving people chance after chance to reform is also a fool's errand in my opinion. You should get a warning about behavior when you create an account. Your first run in with the Tribunal (and subseuqnet punishment) should result in a 2 week ban, after that a permanent suspension should take place. Boom, problem solved. Hardware ID bans, harsh penalties and any other account tied to that system would be banned also---works wonders.

If your little brother uses that machine and gets banned... too bad. If you want to really clean up the community you have to take a hard stance. Positive reinforcement only works so much... no one uses the honor system anymore---as it has fallen off significantly from launch. Little brats need more than a time out sometimes and that's just the way it is.
Well with your system I would of been perma banned in tribunal, and never would of played League again. I used to be a pretty toxic player but I REALLY cleaned up my act and now i'm a positive player who always (well mostly lol) tries to encourage teamwork and cooperation.

People do reform.

ZeroAgainst

01-26-2014

dunk squad rammus op

SaintCrazy

01-26-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
Our efforts are around making the experience as positive as possible. We've seen that banning is honestly a pretty weak hammer to make games more fun compared to encouraging people to be great teammates in the first place, and that's why we are focusing a lot right now on fostering positive teamwork (rather than writing additional optimizations on bans).
Then why do 9/10 games I play seem to have trolls, ragers, and general ******bags that ruin the game for everyone else? Okay, sure, I would notice the bad cases more than the good ones. But all it takes is one person out of 10 going "wow this botlane so bad" or something to that effect to make the game a negative experience for me, and when that happens for 4-5 games in a row, I would think that's significant enough to do something about it. I find it hard to dismiss it as people "just having a bad day" when it happens in the sweeping majority of games I play.

Okay, working on being positive is great. It's a good ideal to work towards over the course of a few months or years. But the reality is that right now this community is filled with a lot of people who treat each other terribly. I can't tell you how many friends I've known that have tried League and quit after a week or so because "the community is awful". It's probably the #1 complaint I hear about this game. How is this gone unchecked for so long?

It's not an elegant solution, but I really really think we need to give more or harsher punishments for players that ruin the game for everyone else. Even if it's just a notice they get every time they're reported, so that they know what they JUST did is out of line, instead of getting a warning later and saying "lol, I said what 30 games ago? haha whatever". The Tribunal is too slow, and too narrow in scope. Too many people can be total ******bags and still remain unpunished because they're not "the worst of the worst".

I love this game, believe me, but every time I think about someone being an ass to their teammates in a game of LoL I just get turned off to it. I've been playing it a lot less lately for that reason. I would LOVE for LoL to be a game I can play just for fun, but the fun just doesn't happen as much anymore. Personally, I think its a serious problem, more serious than game balance. You are losing players because this problem hasn't been solved.

Kahr

01-26-2014

Quote:
The system does take a little while to work -- you have to get reported, then the tribunal has to process you. I would be shocked if he didn't get banned if he did that sort of thing with any frequency. We do use some machine learning algorithms, but it's really a question of asking where we aren't catching people, and how we could do so more quickly. And of course, this stuff IS going to happen. People are going to troll. The question is -- how long do they get to troll before they are stopped, and how often is this stuff happening?

Our efforts are around making the experience as positive as possible. We've seen that banning is honestly a pretty weak hammer to make games more fun compared to encouraging people to be great teammates in the first place, and that's why we are focusing a lot right now on fostering positive teamwork (rather than writing additional optimizations on bans). But when we do think about bans, we try to focus on the cases that are both frequent and are not being caught. This is a case where we think it WOULD be caught very quickly in most cases.

Consequently, we do have world-class machine learning guys working for us...

The question is why aren't these games loss prevented or forgiven...

Zileas

VP of Game Design

01-26-2014
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahr View Post
The question is why aren't these games loss prevented or forgiven...
Two reasons. First, it's hard to write a system that would do that accurately and correctly, and getting it wrong would be a lot worse -- just as would missing it. Getting a loss prevention/win prevention on a game where it wasn't called for would be awful, as would not getting it when you thought you were normally entitled.

Secondly, we don't want to make stuff like leaving, being a jerk, etc socially "OK". If we reduce the downsides too much, some of this stuff might become even funny to people rather than indicative of (basically) being a bad person, at least for 30 minutes. We want to stand with the community as having a high standard on this stuff, so that this game is a place where people with great teamwork and attitudes thrive, and those without either change their tune, or find the game unrewarding to play.

Glumduk

01-26-2014

Who -are- you?
What are you?

Where did you come from?
Did someone send you?

Kahr

01-26-2014

Quote:
Two reasons. First, it's hard to write a system that would do that accurately and correctly, and getting it wrong would be a lot worse -- just as would missing it. Getting a loss prevention/win prevention on a game where it wasn't called for would be awful, as would not getting it when you thought you were normally entitled.

Secondly, we don't want to make stuff like leaving, being a jerk, etc socially "OK". If we reduce the downsides too much, some of this stuff might become even funny to people rather than indicative of (basically) being a bad person. We want to stand with the community as having a high standard on this stuff, so that this game is a place where people with great teamwork and attitudes thrive, and those without either change their tune, or find the game unrewarding to play.
But setting it catch certain situations would be excepts able? Or possible?
0/30/0 with 4 ppl reporting or more? Granting that person a temp ban of x mins or hours?
If u have 5 or more ppl reporting on the same game it should send a red flag to be reviewed by someone right I mean its just me but something like that could exist right?

Kahr

01-26-2014

Stupid iphone. I don't know the staff issues or programming u all have but is their not something we can do

MaIevoIent

01-26-2014

How is that even possible?

I tried lolking but I cant find the username. I think thats photoshopped.

Kahr

01-26-2014

Was really hoping zileas would reply back to that last response