How I would have made "Hexakill" a better game mode.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Orianna Scripter

01-25-2014

There are a few points I just want to bring up as to why this new game mode won't be as exciting as One For All or Snowdown Showdown. I'll also give a few ideas on how to make the game mode much better.

As always these are just my opinions. Others might disagree with them.

The game is no different than a normal Summoner's Rift match. The only difference is that each team has 6 players. Of course, it's going to be something relatively new to us - but that's only because we've had the same three game modes for years now.

A few things that could have made this game better:

1) Increased team size. Sure, having a 6th player mixes up the established meta very slightly but imagine if you had 10 players? You could have certain squads of players (with their own AD/AP carries and peelers) who roam around looking for players and objectives to pick off in the mid game. Of course objectives, minions and towers would all have to be buffed in order to sustain all 10 players.

2) Minion waves should have more minions. Towers should deal more damage and it should take more damage to destroy one. Objectives such as Baron and Dragon should have tons more health and deal much higher damage - make them feel like actual raid bosses! Buffs should spawn every 2-3 minutes instead of every 5 so that junglers may share the buffs.

And that's just off the top of my head.

Simply adding an extra player is not really an exciting change to the same old game mode we all play.

Please reconsider making the game mode more exciting - either through the ideas in this thread or through other ideas.

Soiyeruda

01-25-2014

Really, any "new game mode" that Riot has been introducing could all be thrown together into some custom game edit menu. What they are doing right now just looks like a pathetic excuse to actually fill in the empty slots in the Play menu.

Anyways, 10 vs. 10 on Summoner's Rift sounds ridiculously crowded. Early game ganks sound terribly unfun when 5+ people could potentially dive you. Additionally, teamfights would really just turn into AoE stacking frenzies, and by the 6th or 7th champion's spell rotation, it just becomes overkill. 10 v. 10 would require a larger map.

Orianna Scripter

01-25-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soiyeruda View Post
Really, any "new game mode" that Riot has been introducing could all be thrown together into some custom game edit menu. What they are doing right now just looks like a pathetic excuse to actually fill in the empty slots in the Play menu.

Anyways, 10 vs. 10 on Summoner's Rift sounds ridiculously crowded. Early game ganks sound terribly unfun when 5+ people could potentially dive you. Additionally, teamfights would really just turn into AoE stacking frenzies, and by the 6th or 7th champion's spell rotation, it just becomes overkill. 10 v. 10 would require a larger map.
I suggested that towers would be much stronger to counter dives.

On the other hand, I agree that it would require a larger map.

I just think that simply throwing an extra player in is lazy and really boring.

andoth

01-25-2014

10 v 10 would be realy fun on dominion imo, then again, dominion is a myth.

Cathulion

01-25-2014

10 vs 10 meta would most likely be:

x3 top
x3 mid
x3 bot
x1 jungler

Problem with this is how easily people are 3 vs 1'ing in hexakill now, so I don't see a 10 vs 10 unless turrets AOE hit every single champion trying to dive, not just focusing one.

Just my input into this...

Orianna Scripter

01-25-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathulion View Post
10 vs 10 meta would most likely be:

x3 top
x3 mid
x3 bot
x1 jungler

Problem with this is how easily people are 3 vs 1'ing in hexakill now, so I don't see a 10 vs 10 unless turrets AOE hit every single champion trying to dive, not just focusing one.

Just my input into this...
Maybe turrets can be changed to hit all champions in range?

Tengu and Tango

01-25-2014

The answer is always Karthus

Phoenix vX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-25-2014

I'd rather have a 4v4v4 mode than 6v6.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

01-25-2014
1 of 1 Riot Posts

I think there may be server issues right now for 10 -- the game previously ran at 6v6 very early in development, but I don't know if as much groundwork has been done for 10v10. Of course, we can do it... It's just that we have to prioritize on what we can give you guys and how quickly we can do it.

As for minions, good suggestion, I'll mention it to the team to consider.

As a general point, the reason we launch modes as featured game modes is because we think they will be fun and novel for some period of time, but not forever. If we find one that is awesome and has legs, we might 'promote' it, but we aren't planning to. So, I think your critique about Hexakill's longevity is fair, but that's why it is part of a featured game mode. Fun for a while though!

Rebonack

01-25-2014

I suspect that Hexakill would be MUCH more fun on Twisted Treeline rather than Rift.

This was a thing a few years ago until it got patched out and it was hilariously chaotic fun. That many players crammed into such a small map was great.