Maps Skin Ideas

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ZiPS

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2014

Summoner's VoidRift

Big Sexy Himself

01-23-2014

A desert based SR with sandstorms and stuff would be really cool

Aaydin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2014

This is the first time I've logged on to the forums to post something in about two years I think but its because I really hope I'm heard.

The idea I have is to make map skins for themed events that exist in the LoL lore. The holidays, for example, are a good place to start but I'm thinking something larger. Imagine Noxus and Demacia in a temporary cease fire because of some sort of unifying event (I'm thinking Garen and Katarina getting married type of thing, a large event). You could have the map decorated with all sorts of banners and flags that bear the emblems of each. Have confetti and streamers and sounds of the crowds cheering, trumpets blaring and litter the lanes with the evidence of all the above. The match is being held as a sort of spectacle event rather than a competition, more like a game or sparring match type of thing.

This is really just a way to tie in adding more lore back into the game rather than just making it champ specific. Reading each champion's lore is awesome and all, but doesn't feel like it affects the larger picture of Runeterra as a whole. Give us reason to believe the world is alive and changing. I mean you could even add a wedding version of Garen and Kat to their skins to coincide with the above idea.

This is just one example of how you could do things like this. Imagine if Demacia's king were to pass on for whatever reason and J4 assumes the throne. Have a MASSIVE coronation event. New map skins, new champ skins for the Demacians (formal military procession type get-ups, the works), new champ releases to be added to everything. Do big things!

This post feels very Demacia heavy and I'll admit that I loves me some Demacians. It wasn't intended to come across so biased but these spring to mind the fastest because they feel like they're so large in scope. I don't really care what type of map skins get added, for whatever city state, I just want it to matter. The snow skin on SR is cool because its something different to break up the monotony, but that sounds so weak. Adding something just to change the monotony sounds monotonous as well. League has been a huge part of so many people's lives, and we want to feel like it still is. Give us a reason to feel that way by making it feel like it has life too, like it has something that can grow with us.

PacifistWrex

01-24-2014

Weather or Day/Night Cycle
Dynamic changes to the map that arent necessarily a separate skin we need to wait months or years to see.
But ya gimme my snowdown map this year -_-
and for actual skins I do like the void idea, the underwater idea, seasonal, harrowing, snowdown.
Also I dont know if it was mentioned but maybe a battle torn one.
Like a noxian battle map.
Depending on where the art style goes I'd like the map to feel more 'outside'/'exposed',
right now 'partially because it lacks a skybox' the map feels like its some isolated and fabricated environment.

Godfather Legacy

01-24-2014

very good idea! I would love Lava and Underwater SR!!

DGKONG

01-24-2014

Noxus and Demacia summoners rift would be really cool, also a divided map with one side Noxus and the other SR would be really cool! Or a very battleworn map, like a battlefield type map

SuruStorm

01-25-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenHusky View Post
You could have a sandy beach theme for the Summer Rift.
pool party skins op

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

01-25-2014
2 of 16 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaydin View Post
This is the first time I've logged on to the forums to post something in about two years I think but its because I really hope I'm heard.

The idea I have is to make map skins for themed events that exist in the LoL lore. The holidays, for example, are a good place to start but I'm thinking something larger. Imagine Noxus and Demacia in a temporary cease fire because of some sort of unifying event.
I hear you, and I really dig your idea!

Zykezero

01-25-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
I hear you, and I really dig your idea!

I think he is onto something, there can be a new series of champions that emerge from this new threat. A new wellspring of ideas and possibilities to alter the game.

ManiacalSummoner

01-25-2014

Hmm, how about a skin that deploys the seasons, but, with a twist.

Since Ionia is all cherry blossoms and such, it can be a representation of spring. The map can have a Zen and sakura theme. But, the area's have land marks that have to do with the place. Like having Blue and Sides representing different place from the Kinkou split order like in Zed's and Shen's lore for each side and when the opposite . The jungle, can hold a places with monkeys simulating were Wu came from, having a hidden thing when he walks by. Have hidden things placed in for fun based on the lore.