Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rivini

01-24-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
As I said, It is something we are working on. We definitely have a lot of people looking at it. As it is outside my area of expertise I don't feel comfortable going into deeper detail about it. I will see if I can recruit one of our designers to hop on here and comment about it.
Make sure they see this: http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=3726140

I haven't tried it, but it looks like a good way to get around the locked camera issue and lessen the burden of playing on purple side.

Entity Zero

01-25-2014

Why can't we literally just flip the HUD then? When i'm on purple side, my skill bar often gets in the way. Why can't I have it up top?

Tortferngatr

01-25-2014

Quote:
This is not completely accurate. I created an in game test map that includes swatches of each of our maps which VFX are balanced against. Generally speaking the environment needs to be in a lower saturation and Value range than either the characters, HUD, or VFX. Right now TT does the best job of being a readable background for combat. SR actually has a lot of room for improvement in that regard.
How does each map rank in order of readability? (Feel free to include either iteration of Magma Chamber and old SR/TT.)

What spells tend to be the biggest problem spells in readability terms on each map?

Could it be possible to slightly change spell textures/particles between maps to preserve readability on any given map? I've come to enjoy Dawngate's more colorful map, and I like the more vibrant colors of the Crystal Scar relative to SR (although I understand the town is washed out somewhat--I think it's more about brightness, color variety, and prop variety than saturation, now that I think harder about it.)

------------------------------------------

Incidentally, could I perhaps start sister threads for the Crystal Scar, TT, and HA? More just for tinkering purposes at this point in time (for TT/HA it's more about tweaks/once-in-a-blue-moon map event ideas--for the aging Crystal Scar I think we can suggest bigger) but I thought it would be worth looking at things we can do to improve or tweak the other maps.

After all, Summoner's Rift isn't infinitely sustainable--showing the other maps some love should also have some degree of presence for longevity purposes.

Mojimi

01-25-2014

Just make it possible to change the locked camera position

Kinaro

01-25-2014

Quote:
Rotating the camera seems more simple than it actually is. Our game is optimized for the single camera angle, which means that any polygon not facing our camera is deleted in order to maintain performance. Additionally all of our art is also optimized for that camera, which means that each asset in the map is carefully placed to prevent characters and effects from being able to hide behind art. If we rotated the camera those assets would allow characters to hide all over the map. In Twisted Treeline and Howling Abyss we really embraced this camera to make art that feels very organic by basically adding geometry to paintings. The downside of this technique is that those assets are 1-sided and do not allow much camera manipulation. However,we are continuing to explore solutions to this problem.
Twisted Treeline solved the camera angle issue because the map is truly symmetric, including the camera position. I would love to see something like that done for Summoners Rift.

More on this:
Isn't every asymmetric map imbalanced?

notrangerjoe

01-25-2014

Quote:
As I said, It is something we are working on. We definitely have a lot of people looking at it. As it is outside my area of expertise I don't feel comfortable going into deeper detail about it. I will see if I can recruit one of our designers to hop on here and comment about it.
Playing against Nid/Ziggs in ARAM on purple side is a nightmare. I am looking forward to this with every fiber of my being.

Sedirex

01-25-2014

Quote:
If there is anything that you feel is important that wasn't on this list feel free to post it here. I read everything on this thread. I am going to make several posts breaking down into deeper detail some of this feedback
You left out completely overhauling every building on the map and adding battle scarring to them. Seriously, towers, inhibs, and the nexus all look terrible for 2014. New dragon and baron would be nice too but I think it's already confirmed they're being worked on.

Izisery

01-25-2014

Quote:
I wanted to go into a little more detail about these 2 ideas.

The idea of Environmental Battle damage is really fun! But it could impact gamplay in unexpected ways and is more of an "Icing on the cake" feature than the core of what would be required for a VU. This type of feature is also less compatible with some of the technology and techniques we are using.

Rotating the map is frequently discussed and was even prototyped internally. We abandoned the idea for several reasons, but primarily because the map did not feel as much like SR when we did it. We are in development on various things to accomplish the goal that rotating the map is trying to solve.
Might one of the various things be anchoring the camera to your champion (still allowing the camera to 'roam' whatever direction your mouse moves, while never allowing your champion to be off screen)? My hand-eye coordination is far too poor to use the current 'unlocked' camera, and this would certainly help when I'm on purple side of the map, using a skillshot intensive champion.

ahtee

01-25-2014

What if you had a camera rotation for 30 degrees like they use in starcraft 2? for spectating it always is really cool to see fights at different angles! Also a way to zoom out.

Here is an example:
http://youtu.be/8iSSywM0JFQ?t=3m30s

I am Razgriz

01-25-2014

I'd like for Dragon to seem more fearsome. Right now it looks wimpy and why is it constantly flying? It should rest on a pile of gold or something.

Also, why when on high ground can we not see to the low ground?