@RIOT: Please add an option to disable automatic smart cast

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TrojanHorse

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
AFAIK the way it works is that it almost always just casts "forward" unless it REALLY NEEDS to be in a specific location.

Things like Tibbers, Wards, etc. will all make you walk forward. IMO that's the right way to do it. What are your thoughts?
I used to play Mordekaiser a lot and one of the things that really started to turn me off of him was the detached cone change where he would no longer walk forward to cast his e at a specific location (guaranteeing the spot the mouse was over would be hit). That was a direct exchange of max range ability ease-of-use for minimum range ease-of-use.

Having an option to decide whether the location or the direction are more important would be very helpful. Auto-smartcast is the same thing -- people who like the range indicators on smart cast should be able to use them.

BlackDragonIV

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2014

http://community.na.leagueoflegends....not-a-solution

This special case system NEEDS TO GO.

Recently the Quick Cast system has gotten significantly more robust in the options page. I think it should be upgraded to support individual champion options with certain abilities DEFAULTED to quick cast at the champion developers leisure.

It's not about whats right, and whats wrong. It's about giving EVERYONE the choice. But still giving the developer the ability to implement their personal recommendations.\

NOTE: A global setting would be nice too. (Simply have a check box saying 'Use Global' or 'Use Champion'

Kinaro

01-22-2014

I think this is relevant:

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...4#post36908194

Mauu5head

01-22-2014

Phreak... c'mon. Let's be honest here: you're hot. You know you can make this happen.

Keiuran

01-22-2014

I've been going around the forums trying to bring this up but I'm glad someone from RIOT finally noticed. If the champion designers want their skills to be autosmart cast I have no problems with that, but as long as it is secondary to the range indicator option that I've become incredibly accustomed to playing with. It's very strange to have to deal with skills that don't follow the same press-aim range indicator-release way I've been playing since I learned about smartcast.

boourns

UI Designer

01-24-2014
3 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDragonIV View Post
http://community.na.leagueoflegends....not-a-solution

This special case system NEEDS TO GO.

Recently the Quick Cast system has gotten significantly more robust in the options page. I think it should be upgraded to support individual champion options with certain abilities DEFAULTED to quick cast at the champion developers leisure.

It's not about whats right, and whats wrong. It's about giving EVERYONE the choice. But still giving the developer the ability to implement their personal recommendations.\

NOTE: A global setting would be nice too. (Simply have a check box saying 'Use Global' or 'Use Champion'
In principle I agree with you. In an ideal world I would prefer for players to be able to opt out of default smartcast for specific abilities. Doing this in a general way (having champion specific ability smartcasting profiles) was something that the options menu team considered early on, but our data suggested that the vast majority of people did not mix and match normal/smartcast. Given that the proposed solutions were complicated to use and manage (and expensive to implement) we did not do that at the time in favor of focusing on the much more valuable changes to the options menu that we did make. The underlying system for this is what you would need to do ability specific smartcast override because we would still want to preserve the ability for the designer to make it the default behavior.

tl;dr the ability to override a specific ability to smartcast only was kind of done in an unconventional way and it turns out to be expensive to untangle that.

boourns

UI Designer

01-24-2014
4 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
I used to play Mordekaiser a lot and one of the things that really started to turn me off of him was the detached cone change where he would no longer walk forward to cast his e at a specific location (guaranteeing the spot the mouse was over would be hit). That was a direct exchange of max range ability ease-of-use for minimum range ease-of-use.

Having an option to decide whether the location or the direction are more important would be very helpful. Auto-smartcast is the same thing -- people who like the range indicators on smart cast should be able to use them.
Let me personally apologize to you for hurting your experience with this champion. I was the one of the folks who pushed for us to remove detached cone ability targeting. We knew that for some people this would be a negative change. In this case we strongly believed that this kind of targeting was not appropriate except in a very small number of cases and also feels unexpected and bad for people who aren't expecting it. It doesn't work like any of our other targeting and is very similar to our conventional cone targeting except that it is not immediate and can cause your champion to move in unintended ways. People also expected it to work like a normal cone based on the ability and how it is displayed.

This is actually the reverse of auto smart cast where we removed a special case in order to create more consistent ability targeting and increase clarity/obviousness. My hypothesis was that this would be an adjustment, but ultimately gameplay neutral for people who normal and smart cast with range indicators because you get feedback and can walk into range to cast. I suspect for pure smartcast players it was a more difficult change because they are used to "fire and forget" the ability. However I don't believe play rates have shown that this had a large detrimental effect (popularity of support Annie for example).

So... sorry. We did this because we believed it was the better long term choice for everyone, but unfortunately when we remove something from the game it's always going to be negative for some people.

Fomorian27

01-24-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Let me personally apologize to you for hurting your experience with this champion. I was the one of the folks who pushed for us to remove detached cone ability targeting. We knew that for some people this would be a negative change. In this case we strongly believed that this kind of targeting was not appropriate except in a very small number of cases and also feels unexpected and bad for people who aren't expecting it. It doesn't work like any of our other targeting and is very similar to our conventional cone targeting except that it is not immediate and can cause your champion to move in unintended ways. People also expected it to work like a normal cone based on the ability and how it is displayed.

This is actually the reverse of auto smart cast where we removed a special case in order to create more consistent ability targeting and increase clarity/obviousness. My hypothesis was that this would be an adjustment, but ultimately gameplay neutral for people who normal and smart cast with range indicators because you get feedback and can walk into range to cast. I suspect for pure smartcast players it was a more difficult change because they are used to "fire and forget" the ability. However I don't believe play rates have shown that this had a large detrimental effect (popularity of support Annie for example).

So... sorry. We did this because we believed it was the better long term choice for everyone, but unfortunately when we remove something from the game it's always going to be negative for some people.
To counterpoint the other guy's point of view, I was a cho and mordekaiser player who also liked the detached cone, and didn't like the change to having it attached. however, I was transitioning to smartcast at around that same time and found that attached skillcones are generally better with smartcast because you don't have to memorize how far your character will walk before firing the ability; they always fire it where they stand. Just another point of view. It helps to visualize the cone indicators as a bit like a really fat ezreal mystic shot that gets wider far away from you. It wouldn't make sense for ezreal to walk to a certain point before firing his mystic shot, would it? Same goes for these.

BelligerentGnu

01-24-2014

Booooooooourns.

Can you please just say *SOMETHING* about the Karthus Q issue? I've been trying to get a red response on the topic for probably a couple months now.

Tortferngatr

01-24-2014

Hmm. Is it possible to, at some point, when the UI team has nothing more important on its plate, refactor the casting stuff to enable smartcast with range indicators separately from smartcast without range indicators--and perhaps allow champion-specific bindings? (Heck, even let us bind a smartcast on press and a smartcast on release separately?)

I ask because for some champions (like Veigar) I sort of want the ability to target some abilities as quickly as possible (Q, R, sometimes W), but for other abilities I just want the balance of speed and accuracy provided by smartcast with range indicators (E, sometimes W).

Heck, having a "put down a wall on press" and a "put down a wall on release" option for different common Karthus situations would be really cool. It would also be good for other champions who have situations where you need to land a clutch spell and where you need to target your ult briefly.