so I "applied" to Riot a while ago...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SwipeZ

01-24-2014

To any rioters, I'm most likely going to be majoring in computer engineering, and am wondering if that major holds any occupations within riot. I think it does, but always best to check. Thanks!

Riot Chezai

Recruiting Coordinator

01-24-2014
142 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColmanTallman View Post
Riot Chezai,

Working within the video game industry has always been a dream of mine, but I'm not sure about how to get my foot in the door.

I was originally intending to apply into Riot's internship program, which I feel I could excel in. However, my extra-heavy college course load caught up with me over the summer, causing me to graduate a year early in August. Although my early graduation saved me some student loans and is a testament to my hard work through college, I'm now ineligible for the internship program and am unsure about how to go about applying to Riot.

I have a BA in Psychology and played varsity Volleyball through college (winning the national championship in 2011). I'm very passionate about video games as a whole, and Riot specifically captures my interests due to how often their design philosophies coincide with my own (for example, the slow yet unstoppable abolition of RNG from League of Legends). I think video games have the potential to be great works of art or perfectly viable competitive sports (or, of course, both) and am ultimately passionate about the advancement of video games as an entertainment medium.

Working at Riot is my dream. However, with the internship opportunity no longer available, I'm at a loss as to what I should do next. Does Riot have any entry-level positions I could apply into, without a large amount of coding knowledge? Is it possible to get my foot in the door in any way, shape or form?

Thank you for your time.

Coleman
Hey ColmanTallman,

I've repeated this many times in this thread over the last few months and it still holds true: Do what you're passionate about. It's not about what you can get into, but more so what you WANT to get into.

Take a look at our careers page and see if there's something you're super passionate about. We definitely have more than just software engineering positions available, but this is something you'll have to dig into. Do your research! Figure out what that particular field is about. This will help you figure out if it's something you really want to do.

Riot Chezai

Recruiting Coordinator

01-24-2014
143 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwipeZ View Post
To any rioters, I'm most likely going to be majoring in computer engineering, and am wondering if that major holds any occupations within riot. I think it does, but always best to check. Thanks!
Hey SwipeZ,

1 - www.riotgames.com/careers will have any positions we have available
2 - Considering we're a video game company that works heavily in technology and all that good stuff, I'd go out on a limb here and say that a major in computer science/computer engineering is applicable

Sh11ft

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Chezai View Post
Hey ChampionAaron,

My personal suggestion is to get some more education under your belt while getting some work experience [industry if possible].

I don't mean to preach about the merits of education, but there are skills you learn in post-secondary education which are very transferable to many industries [example: problem solving, communication, the ability to grind through 50-page papers in a few hours, etc].

Industry experience is not always easy to come by. Working in related fields isn't a bad idea at all.

At the end of the day, try and find something you are very passionate about and figure out a way to integrate that into your career goals.

Thanks for all the great information... This discussion has been one of the more helpful ones I've found!!

On a related note, I'm still a student in college... And the position I've applied for doesn't require a degree. Do you think the fact that I'm only 21 will play a part in whether or not I'm considered? I figure, if I'm doing my dream job, I can always go to school online/in the local area.

Thanks for the help!

Riot Chezai

Recruiting Coordinator

01-29-2014
144 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh11ft View Post
Thanks for all the great information... This discussion has been one of the more helpful ones I've found!!

On a related note, I'm still a student in college... And the position I've applied for doesn't require a degree. Do you think the fact that I'm only 21 will play a part in whether or not I'm considered? I figure, if I'm doing my dream job, I can always go to school online/in the local area.

Thanks for the help!
Hey Sh11ft,

My opinion only, but obtaining a degree/diploma/certificate should take precedence over jumping into the workforce. Work is work is work. Lots of time for that in the future. Formal education is something I strongly believe in. Not so much the 'I'm going to learn ALLLLL the things', assessments, and exams, but more so the 'I can navigate my way through all these learning challenges' aspect of it. Having a degree doesn't necessarily translate to "I'm going to be getting a job in ________ field because of my credentials". As I've mentioned in previous responses, our Game Design team is comprised of game designers, lawyers, accountants, etc. This in and of itself is a great example of my mantra ---> find your passion.

Also --> dream jobs/companies will change. What you learn and take with you usually sticks [unless you're like me and calculus is still a mystery...].

TL;DR - age is not a hindrance; experience plays a part in things; Riot Chezai approves of education

Hope this helps!

Ze Ocelot

01-29-2014

Thanks for helping everyone out, Chezai. It really means a lot to us .

It can sure be chaotic when it comes to finding an enjoyable job that complements your passion and craft. Especially in regards to networking and experience (personal/group vs. industry).

I've been looking for a concept art and illustration related position; I applied to the Illustrator position months ago on the Riot Careers page, but hey, it was worth a try! In the meantime, I've been working on a lot of related projects to bolster my portfolio. From working on fan games to creating a ton of sketches and illustrations (both personal and fan art), it's been a ton of fun; and hopefully, it'll eventually lead to an actual job!

Again, thanks for all the help! I'm wondering if I can discuss something that's been puzzling me for the past year or so. It isn't exactly a question that can be answered by the FAQ or LinkedIn, but more of a personal inquiry.

Sh11ft

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Chezai View Post
Hey Sh11ft,

My opinion only, but obtaining a degree/diploma/certificate should take precedence over jumping into the workforce. Work is work is work. Lots of time for that in the future. Formal education is something I strongly believe in. Not so much the 'I'm going to learn ALLLLL the things', assessments, and exams, but more so the 'I can navigate my way through all these learning challenges' aspect of it. Having a degree doesn't necessarily translate to "I'm going to be getting a job in ________ field because of my credentials". As I've mentioned in previous responses, our Game Design team is comprised of game designers, lawyers, accountants, etc. This in and of itself is a great example of my mantra ---> find your passion.

Also --> dream jobs/companies will change. What you learn and take with you usually sticks [unless you're like me and calculus is still a mystery...].

TL;DR - age is not a hindrance; experience plays a part in things; Riot Chezai approves of education

Hope this helps!
It's good to have that information!

I'm glad you've made yourself available to help all of us get some more information on the subject! Thanks again.

Sh11ft

01-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Ocelot View Post

It can sure be chaotic when it comes to finding an enjoyable job that complements your passion and craft. Especially in regards to networking and experience (personal/group vs. industry).

I've been looking for a concept art and illustration related position; I applied to the Illustrator position months ago on the Riot Careers page, but hey, it was worth a try! In the meantime, I've been working on a lot of related projects to bolster my portfolio. From working on fan games to creating a ton of sketches and illustrations (both personal and fan art), it's been a ton of fun; and hopefully, it'll eventually lead to an actual job!

Again, thanks for all the help! I'm wondering if I can discuss something that's been puzzling me for the past year or so. It isn't exactly a question that can be answered by the FAQ or LinkedIn, but more of a personal inquiry.
Ocelot,

I've found lots of information and help from the LinkedIn page and groups if you haven't checked those out yet. Lots of personalized responses there.

Riot Chezai

Recruiting Coordinator

01-29-2014
145 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh11ft View Post
It's good to have that information!

I'm glad you've made yourself available to help all of us get some more information on the subject! Thanks again.
Not a problem! Always happy to help out

Riot Chezai

Recruiting Coordinator

01-29-2014
146 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Ocelot View Post

Hey Ze Ocelot,

Feel free to drop a note here. I'll try and get back to you ASAP