Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Izzabelle

01-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
Hey folks, This thread has been around for a while and I wanted to do a summary of the feedback I am hearing here. So I re-read the entire thread and made a note of each point of feedback that was given. I also noticed several highly repeated points of feedback, which I assume are the issues that are the primary areas of improvement.

Most common feedback

Minions, Monsters and Gameplay objects need a VU
The map needs to retain a lighthearted feel
The creep camps need to make sense for the monsters that live there
The river needs to make sense and feel like a river
Trees and bushes should not be so uniform, Need to be proportional to the Champions
Make Summonerís Rift fit itís lore; or make the lore fit SR.
SR should be themed for conflict.
Music should be upgraded
The map needs lots of ambient life.
SR needs to be performant on low end machines
The map gets battle scars during the match
Balance the map by rotating it 45 degrees

If there is anything that you feel is important that wasn't on this list feel free to post it here. I read everything on this thread. I am going to make several posts breaking down into deeper detail some of this feedback
Quick question -- and I totally get it if you can't actually answer -- but are there actual plans to make these sorts of changes to Summoner's Rift? Or is a SR VU something you guys WANT to do, but have no actual plans in place right now?

Sonimus

Recruiter

01-22-2014

With these visual changes being pitched, will you still have mercy for the ones with a less strong computer so that they can still play in the rift that we all know and love?

Mandaari

01-22-2014

Quote:
Rotating the map is frequently discussed and was even prototyped internally. We abandoned the idea for several reasons, but primarily because the map did not feel as much like SR when we did it. We are in development on various things to accomplish the goal that rotating the map is trying to solve.
Is one of these things just allowing us to flip the camera? I remember the reason a Rioter gave saying why they didn't want to do this was because top and bottom lane couldn't be identified with "top" and "bot". But that was before smart pings with released.

I say this because rotating it 45 degree would mean that both bottom lanes are still looking down. Yeah it's balanced, but it would just make me not enjoy bot lane on blue as well. I'd much rather just flip the camera.

exec3

01-23-2014

Quote:
Hey folks, This thread has been around for a while and I wanted to do a summary of the feedback I am hearing here. So I re-read the entire thread and made a note of each point of feedback that was given. I also noticed several highly repeated points of feedback, which I assume are the issues that are the primary areas of improvement.

Most common feedback

Minions, Monsters and Gameplay objects need a VU
The map needs to retain a lighthearted feel
The creep camps need to make sense for the monsters that live there
The river needs to make sense and feel like a river
Trees and bushes should not be so uniform, Need to be proportional to the Champions
Make Summonerís Rift fit itís lore; or make the lore fit SR.
SR should be themed for conflict.
Music should be upgraded
The map needs lots of ambient life.
SR needs to be performant on low end machines
The map gets battle scars during the match
Balance the map by rotating it 45 degrees

If there is anything that you feel is important that wasn't on this list feel free to post it here. I read everything on this thread. I am going to make several posts breaking down into deeper detail some of this feedback
Sounds good.

By objects in your first point do you mean Nexus/Inhib/Towers? If so then agreed (don't forget to port them over to the other maps! unless you guys plan to create new nexus's/inhibs themed on those maps ).

In regards to the map getting battle scars do you mean automatic stuff like how the bridge in HA is breaking apart throughout the match or do you mean stuff players affect eg: there's an archway and MF ulti's it at which point it gets destroyed and falls apart? If so that would be extremely cool but quite the undertaking for you guys to fill the map with that kind of stuff. It couldn't affect gameplay and probably would only work with AoE spells (nothing targeted for obvious reasons), i'd imagine they'd have invisible health bars so they can gradually deform based on the severity of the damage they're taking. But it would certainly be cool.

Also crazy random idea with that. What if mid lane was a dam and at the beginning of the game there was only water on the upper side of the map and after the dam/mid lane suffered enough damage the dam breaks and water flows into the lower half of the map too.

Coldmanj

01-23-2014

Quote:
Rotating the map is frequently discussed and was even prototyped internally. We abandoned the idea for several reasons, but primarily because the map did not feel as much like SR when we did it. We are in development on various things to accomplish the goal that rotating the map is trying to solve.
Like was mentioned earlier in the thread, a new feature allowing players to choose where they want their camera to lock is the best solution to this dilemma. Adding it into the key bindings as camera lock and the current live camera lock changed to centered camera lock. I myself tend to prefer a locked camera especially during a fight but hate it if im on purple bot lane. once you get pushed to your turret you become blind of what else is happening at the rivers edge and past it without unlocking your camera, while I have become accustomed to unlocked in these situation it used to bug the **** out of me even to the point where I felt I couldn't play my role well if I was on purple side.

Kaiser King XIII

01-23-2014

Quote:
The idea of Environmental Battle damage is really fun! But it could impact gamplay in unexpected ways and is more of an "Icing on the cake" feature than the core of what would be required for a VU. This type of feature is also less compatible with some of the technology and techniques we are using.
Couldn't the Environmental Battle Damage work like the statues of Hallowing Abyss? I read that when a tower is destroyed or a kill is made close to one, the statues on the bridge fall apart. Wouldn't it be possible to have like trees that fall down when a tower is destroyed, not affecting the play field, or having the small decorations on the monster camps do something the first time the monster is slain?

krynny

01-23-2014

I always wanted an old English urban map. with cobblestone paths and buildings. It would definitely be a Vaun or Piltover themed map. Instead of Baron, there is a big robot with a curtain over it's upper torso and head, but it falls off when attacked and its eyes light up. It kind of makes that same sound when the robot in the original Judge Dredd says it... "Waaaaaaaaaar!" The other monster camps could also follow the theme, but without all the coll animations of the big robot.

You could still have the river, but make it seem a bit recessed into the map, so that the mid connection could look like one of those older arc birdges. My mind is thinking about Venice.

XxJohnnyOxX

01-23-2014

You can change the jungle look, (for example, instead of pine trees, jungle trees) you can add little animals (they are neutral, and you can't kill them, but they move while the champion walks next to them) into the jungle, you can also make the river look more like a real river, by adding animations when the champion walks over it, you could make a bridge in the middle of mid lane (so the water goes under it, and looks realistic), you can upgrade the trees that surround SR to look more realistic too, including the torches that look outdated, and give a VU to all the monsters and epic ones. That's what I think that could improve SR map.

Shaw Fujikawa

01-23-2014

Unsure if it's been suggested already (and I know I'm a bit late for feedback xD) but what I'd most like to see from a new and improved SR is faction shopkeepers with their own quotes ala Lyte and Greyor from the Howling Abyss. Heck, if that was done for each map there's a ton of new possible avenues for lore hints and teasers.

Howling Abyss = Freljord & Piltover
Twisted Treeline = Shadow Isles & Zaun
Crystal Scar = Noxus & Demacia
Summoner's Rift = Bandle City & Bilgewater

Bandle City and Bilgewater made sense to me for Summoner's Rift as they seemed like the most 'neutral' to me city-states - important for a Field of Justice where equal treatment is paramount else there be massive political fallout.

XxJohnnyOxX

01-23-2014

You forgot Ionia.