Rengar Rework Strikes Back

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Workshop Shaco

01-22-2014

Riot please make his ward a few spears with skulls on it, or something in this manner, it would compliment his badassery!!!!!

TridentMango

01-22-2014

viktor next pls

FundedMilk

01-22-2014

That new passive is OP IMO. Now rengars ungling abilities are lowered. He cant sutain as long in jungle due to reset after 10 secs, when losing lane cant farm e to stack up and and heal himself.

Hallows Evelynn

01-22-2014

the new BTN is essentially a 2nd passive for rengar now.

Unger D

01-22-2014

I hope he still has his amazing voice over when he enters stealth

Corvic Maractis

01-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallows Evelynn View Post
the new BTN is essentially a 2nd passive for rengar now.
yes and getting kha's head will give him movespeed... and if kha wins he gets extra damage!

Best NA Backpack

01-22-2014

To be honest that still sounds like he will be insanely strong, but i guess we will have to see

Kokujinsan

01-22-2014

Quote:
Overall we hope to accomplish these goals:
-Remove resourceless ranged harass in lane
-Add counterplay overall
-Make ferocity skill choices more compelling
-Improve Bonetooth Necklace in both satisfaction and uniqueness
-Lengthen the time Rengar can fight
-Many small improvements to make all abilities more satisfying and fun
I just want to preface my comments with, I am no Only Rengar but I am a die hard Rengar main. I have been playing him since his release and he is above and beyond for me, the most enjoyable champion to play winning or losing, and my ranked record can attest to that With that out of the way, I hope some of my comments or suggestions can help continue to make Rengar an enjoyable champion to play not only for fun, but competitively as well.

At first glance a lot of people(myself included) are looking at these changes and seeing a trend we were told was NOT going to happen, which is Rengar going from assassin to a bruiser/fighter/tank type champion. You can look back on Riot's previous Rengar rework post and see multiple times the comments "knife cat is alive and well still" were letting us doubters have some trust that they will not turn him away from the assassin path. The most egregious change right now in my mind is the change to his passive. I actually don't mind the decaying of his stacks of ferocity, it's the loss of the jumping from brush that really just strips away the essence of Rengar. (Got clarification that this passive effect is just in addition to his old passive).

If this is directed at giving your opponent some counterplay to what I assume Riot considers the brush jumping as a form of "ranged harrass", then I would suggest that you do not completely remove this ability from Rengars kit (See my suggestion on the BTN below for details on this).

Quote:
General
-Buffs to base health regen and health per level
-All ferocity effects will deal damage based on champ level instead of the level of the spell
Awesome changes to his weak laning phase against most top lane champions. Not much to say on this but this is a step in the right direction.
Quote:
Passive
-Ferocity stacks will reset to 0 if they are not used or gained for 10 seconds
As I said before, I am completely OK with this change. Hard to say if the 10 seconds is too long, or too short without playing around with it live.

Quote:
Q
-Cooldown lowered at all ranks
-Ferocity Q now gives the same attack speed buff as base Q
-Ferocity Q now gives 3 ferocity after it is used
-Ferocity Q damage scales on champ level instead of spell level
I believe this iteration of the Q has been around for a bit now, and I have not had any problems with it as of now. I love the addition of retaining some stacks of ferocity after you use it off a 5 point.

Quote:
W
-3 Seconds after the initial roar, Rengar roars again for PBAOE damage and builds another Ferocity
-Ferocity W scales on champion level instead of spell level
Not sure how I feel about another delayed roar 3 seconds after you use it. Even though it's a free W, it kinda telegraphs your next move for your opponent a bit as I would guess most people would be using it to farm more waves. Without knowing what PBAOE is, I won't comment further.

Quote:
E
-E is now a skillshot
-E range increased from 575 to 1000
-Damage increased
-Slow increased
-Ferocity E deals damage based on champion level not spell level
-Ferocity E root duration increased
Even though I welcome this change, to be honest it doesn't solve the "ranged harrass" issue you are trying to remove or reduce. It is very counterintuitive to that philosophy. Though I think this will help Rengar in certain matchups in the top lane, it's just odd you want to remove his bush jumping ability, but give us a 1000 range snare that does MORE damage with MORE slowing. It's almost a love/hate ability for me right now.

Quote:
R
-Stealth duration increased from 7s to 10s
-Rengar no longer gains movement speed while stealthed
-After exiting stealth, Rengar now gains a significant movement speed buff for 5 seconds
-The Ferocity gain begins after Rengar exits stealth instead of when the stealth begins
OK so, first things first. Rengar is a hunter, a stalker, a predator by all accounts on how you portray his character not only in his Bio, his readability, and just his kit all together. Why in the world would you remove the speed increase and ferocity gaining during his ultimate? You have a distinct visual and sound effect for when Rengar enters TotH, and I don't know about everyone else, but when I pop that ult and hear that blood pumping, heart beating sound, I feel like a killer. Removing both of those components during his ultimate completely takes away that feel for me..it's not even about the damage, or burst potential it's about the FEEL. I don't exactly see Rengar retaining much of his burst if he jumps onto a player with 0 ferocity stacks.

I guess maybe I just don't see the setup in this. Right now, you jump onto a player and see huge burst from Rengar because he is already at 5 stacks and can quickly build up the rest of his damage to finish them off. I just don't see how the burst can still be achieved if you start that same scenario at 0 ferocity.

Quote:
Bonetooth Necklace
-Now is a trinket!
-Costs 0 gold!
-Has a new active that places a temporary ward
-No longer gives AD or AD per level
-3 Trophy Bonus: Movement speed out of combat and in brush
-6 Trophy Bonus: Additional leap range
-9 Trophy Bonus: Increased Thrill of the Hunt stealth duration
-14 Trophy Bonus: Gain movement speed while stealthed in Thrill of the Hunt
Finally, a few suggestions on the current iteration of BTN. I like the trinket idea and cost reduction in favor of reducing its stat stick components. However, you said this right off the bat "Improve Bonetooth Necklace in both satisfaction and uniqueness". If you look at it as it stands right now, you haven't really made it unique outside of the fact its a trinket now. All of the trophy bonuses are the same as they were before minus some of them changed position in when you gain them. Here are some of my thoughts on how to make it a bit more unique, and/or satisfactory.

Quote:
1: You could add a slight reduction in the decaying of the ferocity stacks. This would go into the 6 or 9 stack spot in addition to what it already does now.
My reasoning for this is, both laning and jungle Rengar will benefit from a gradual power gain this way, instead of just tweaking the passive number lower from level 1 throughout the entire game.

Quote:
2: I believe if you do not want Rengar to have his old passive from an early point, then it should be something to strive for mid to late game. Add his old passive back to the BTN at the 9 or 14 stack spot.
Again, same reason as before in terms of a relative power spike late, not early but more importantly, Rengar just won't feel like Rengar unless hes making plays from bushes. Hopefully you gave an honest chance to read through what I have listed, and while some may agree or disagree, I'm proud to say I have stuck with this guy through all his BS be it nerf or buff.

Thanks for reading.

Novakidd

01-22-2014

can you give some insight on what the missile speed of his new E? i really loved the triple q rengar but i understand the removal of the mechanic. What will this rework envision Rengar? as an assassin, bruiser, fighter, or tank?

DucksGoMooful

01-22-2014

@Kokujinsan I don't think he's losing his "Jump from bush" part of his passive, the only thing being changed is that instead of you getting to keep your Ferocity, it will be lost after 10 seconds of it not changing.