Rengar Rework Strikes Back

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MrBoomstickESQ

01-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsunah View Post
So why isn't Viktors augment a trinket slot item too then?

I mean people didn't buy the necklace because they deemed it a wasted item slot. Theres no choice with viktor..Why not just make it a trinket slot item and balance him accordingly? I don't think its fair that the Rengar only item no longer takes up an item slot but the viktor item takes up a slot
Probably because they haven't revealed the Viktor rework yet.

I'm like 1000% sure thats how they'll handle it.

Alphard

01-22-2014

THANK YOU RIOTc

Jon Talbain

01-22-2014

Welp if this goes through probably never playing Rengar again, I got him because I loved playing Assassin throw all caution to the wind Rengar and stalking people and instagibbing them if I did it right and dieing if I ****ed up was fun. This is pushing him more and more into a laning based bruiser and I don't want that. I'm ultimately pretty pointless as one dude who sucks at the game, just voicing discontent.

AdyEndrus

Recruiter

01-22-2014

Having abilities scale off champion level is a very neat mechanic, something that isn't seen very often.

A mechanic I'm still waiting to see (that I've suggested since beta) is for mage champions to have scaling AP they get per level, much like every champion has scaling AD. This would help establish mages as a mage and give more value to leveling up as a character over maxing an ability as an AP mid. They tried to do something like this (in a theoretical light) to LeBlanc with her re-work. Everyone was maxing Q because it gave the most return when cloned with ultimate. Since re-work you can max any ability you'd like and can still farm safely with a Mimic'd Distortion, because it's essentially based on champion level, not rank of Distortion.

The5lacker

01-22-2014

WHELP, looks like I'm gonna be pickin' up the Fat Cat sometime soon.

Eliptical Logic

01-22-2014

So I have one question dealing with the Bonetooth Necklace changes below. Since your making it a trinket that provides a ward have you considered any variation which would give players the option between type of ward or scanner sweeper? Just curious considering that needing a scanner could prevent players from picking up this cool reworked item. O yeah the Rengar changes sound pretty cool to me might be even more fun now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
Bonetooth Necklace
-Now is a trinket!
-Costs 0 gold!
-Has a new active that places a temporary ward
-No longer gives AD or AD per level
-3 Trophy Bonus: Movement speed out of combat and in brush
-6 Trophy Bonus: Additional leap range
-9 Trophy Bonus: Increased Thrill of the Hunt stealth duration
-14 Trophy Bonus: Gain movement speed while stealthed in Thrill of the Hunt

-Scruffy

dooku183

01-22-2014

kinda miss the pen the neckalce gives and the ad per lvl, and is that a new passive? or is it mixed into his current one?

Malak al Maut

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2014

When can we expect him on the PBE?

Caqua

01-22-2014

Coolieo

Borand

01-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
As promised, I'm here with some updates about where the Rengar rework is at and I would also like to get your feedback on the direction and changes.

Overall we hope to accomplish these goals:
-Remove resourceless ranged harass in lane
-Add counterplay overall
-Make ferocity skill choices more compelling
-Improve Bonetooth Necklace in both satisfaction and uniqueness
-Lengthen the time Rengar can fight
-Many small improvements to make all abilities more satisfying and fun

So with those goals in mind, here is our current changelist (numbers aren't final so I'll post those later):

[...]

Bonetooth Necklace
-Now is a trinket!
-Costs 0 gold!
-Has a new active that places a temporary ward
-No longer gives AD or AD per level
-3 Trophy Bonus: Movement speed out of combat and in brush
-6 Trophy Bonus: Additional leap range
-9 Trophy Bonus: Increased Thrill of the Hunt stealth duration
-14 Trophy Bonus: Gain movement speed while stealthed in Thrill of the Hunt

These changes are still WIP so this thread is all about getting your constructive feedback and having a dialogue to help us make Rengar a more fun champ for all players. I'll be coming back to the thread later today to discuss the feedback.

-Scruffy
These are great changes and I think they will make rengar a more fun experience.
My initial thoughts:
  1. I really like the direction you are taking with his skills. Ferocity is more about utility early, and starts being impactful as a damage source mid-late.
  2. I think that the ferocity decay is a great addition, and would like to ask if it will decay all at once or if it will decay from x to x-1. Any chances it will change to "out of combat for 10 seconds" instead of "unused for 10 seconds"?
  3. I like how the new BTN is a trinket. Only thing I would like to ask here is if there is any possibility for BTN to build out of a trinket, so it can act like a red/blue/yellow so it's not just limitted to a ward. Great change, it frees up an item slot as well.

There's also 2 things I'd like to know:
  1. I would like to know whether the new W offers any resistances or heal as it used to.
  2. How does Rengar do in playtests with respect to his gap-closing potential?

TL;DR: Thank you for the update. Great changes, would like to have you respond to a couple of Questions. Thanks!