Why do we do reworks?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Flore

01-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakshirX View Post
Where is the Rengar rework information? Where? You said you'd have it and we should pester you, so where is it?
He said a week, it's been 5 days.

RiotScruffy

Game Designer

01-22-2014
24 of 25 Riot Posts

I knew you all wouldn't forget, Rengar updates coming later today (still WIP but we're liking it so far).

Archainis

01-22-2014

If I could ask a more abstract question:

How do you go about deciding how much "feels like the existing champion" is enough? Or conversely, what constitutes "toxic enough" to warrant a change? How does projected workload play into this? Is it just by iteration only?

lightdragoon88

01-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
I knew you all wouldn't forget, Rengar updates coming later today (still WIP but we're liking it so far).

Can't wait to see this.

RiotScruffy

Game Designer

01-22-2014
25 of 25 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archainis View Post
If I could ask a more abstract question:

How do you go about deciding how much "feels like the existing champion" is enough? Or conversely, what constitutes "toxic enough" to warrant a change? How does projected workload play into this? Is it just by iteration only?
Good questions. "Feels like the existing champion" is a very important part of our approach to a rework or visual update. The end goal is"how can we make this champion the most fun and realized version that they can be while preserving their identity."

When it comes to "toxic enough," we don't really have a hard threshold but there are 2 ways that we approach this issue:
- We try to tackle champions that have more negative effects on the game as a whole first (more toxic you might say).
- Whenever we make any change, whether it's focused on lowering toxicity or not, we ask if the benefits of the changes outweigh the costs of changing something. And we definitely understand that there are many costs associated with changing a character that people have gotten familiar with and grown to like.

Entity Zero

01-22-2014

Got a question when it comes to balancing a champion. How do you guys gauge a champions power level? My understanding is that you guys look at a champion and basically say like, "We have 27% of the max power between this champs Q and W, so we can afford 73% among the other skills / stats". If that's the case, how is that all factored? Do all champs have that same level of distribution among their kits?

DarknessCalls1

01-22-2014

Do you have any plans on changing the state of Alistar? I feel as though he's been in a tough place for a while since what he does in lane is done much better by other supports (Thresh, Leona, Blitz) as well as the fact that he has much lower damage than these champs. Specifically locking a player down is just done much better by the other supports and Ali doesn't seem to offer enough in lane to warrant picking him.

Sure there are things that he can do in team fights that the others don't do as well but it seems like his laning phase is quite bad. Any thoughts on this?

Archainis

01-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
Good questions. "Feels like the existing champion" is a very important part of our approach to a rework or visual update. The end goal is"how can we make this champion the most fun and realized version that they can be while preserving their identity."

When it comes to "toxic enough," we don't really have a hard threshold but there are 2 ways that we approach this issue:
- We try to tackle champions that have more negative effects on the game as a whole first (more toxic you might say).
- Whenever we make any change, whether it's focused on lowering toxicity or not, we ask if the benefits of the changes outweigh the costs of changing something. And we definitely understand that there are many costs associated with changing a character that people have gotten familiar with and grown to like.
How do you go about quantifying toxicity or familiarity? Is it just by playtest?

Healyourownbum

01-22-2014

Just i beg of you never pull a Karma again please. EVER.

ShadowRumia

01-22-2014

I like Sion as is kit wise. just remove the AP part of him and focus on making him a tanky lifestealing zombie (he is good just needs some tweaking dont see a reason for full rework)

Poppy I cant wait for...and hope she plays the same just with an ult that isnt OP

and if you could please fix Olaf....he has a lot of potential...but has trouble realizing it. I cant put my finger on what is broken...it isnt his ratios or his base stats....i know something is wrong but....i cant see it