[SUGGESTION] Easier Transition for New Players

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

nuf4n9d3v

01-17-2014

Hello! I would presume things like this may be low priority, especially at the outset of a new season, but, posting as a newer player, I realized there is something which might be helpful to acclimate new players to the 5-person Summoners Rift map (or any, perhaps, but particularly SR): when playing against the AI, there should be either an option to select (perhaps in the case of beginner), or a randomization (in the case of intermediate) of being given, the purple side.

From my own experience, the first exposure to playing on the purple side was a Normal PvP game, which can open players up to harassment/flaming (of the "you're so bad, why are you so bad, uninstall" variety, for example) on top of the stress of trying to extrapolate the blue-side experience up to that point and reversing it for the purple side of the map. If there was a way to become accustomed to the purple side before playing against other human players, it would be extremely helpful in reducing the stress of jumping into PvP games by smoothing out the learning curve, on the whole.

This might not seem worthwhile, or may be too difficult to implement, but thought I would share from my own new-ish player experience. PvP can seem daunting enough when one might be worried about letting down the team that this might help alleviate some of the anxiety.

If this is already in the mix and I have missed it up until now, I would appreciate if someone could please let me know!

Thanks for reading! (^-^)

QueenCheep

01-17-2014

I agree entirely! I'm fairly new, but I'm already level 13. I rarely find myself playing purple side, but when I do, I find it very disorienting. The way my brain processes movement through lane is very set on blue side, so I struggle to reverse the way I move through the map.

crownGuy

01-18-2014

I like this idea. I would just make it a random roll of the dice for intermediate bot games. If it was optional you would have to queue with only people who wanted your side of the map. Queue times go down the tubes.

Keep the beginner bot games on blue side. Just to keep the extra new champions players comfortable.

nuf4n9d3v

01-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownGuy View Post
If it was optional you would have to queue with only people who wanted your side of the map. Queue times go down the tubes.

Keep the beginner bot games on blue side. Just to keep the extra new champions players comfortable.
...and I was thinking it could be in the champion-select screen where you would choose a map side - much in the way of how surrendering during a game works, perhaps? Majority selection? It could be something worked out in the pre-game chat, for example. It wouldn't directly affect queue times, though it could conceivably lead to drops from the champion-select screen and indirectly do so...but that can happen if someone doesn't get the champ they want, too, just to name the first example that occurs to me.

That way, players' default side would be the blue side, for beginner-level AI, but it would allow players who want to play beginner-level bots but experience the purple side a choice to do so. It's just a thought; throwing it out there and such!

But absolutely agree with intermediate-level AI: randomized sounds good! Thanks much for posting (^-^)

nuf4n9d3v

01-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenCheep View Post
I agree entirely! I'm fairly new, but I'm already level 13. I rarely find myself playing purple side, but when I do, I find it very disorienting. The way my brain processes movement through lane is very set on blue side, so I struggle to reverse the way I move through the map.
I agree; even after some more experience, it still takes a little more effort to work from that side. I've seen similar perceptions in other forum threads, actually, so maybe this could help those who are not yet entrenched in the blue-centric play-style be better equipped, more quickly. Thanks for responding! (^-^)

boourns

UI Designer

01-21-2014
1 of 3 Riot Posts

Actually, we do care a lot about the new player experience. There is a team dedicated to improving it! We're experimenting with a bunch of things like a landing page for new players with some (hopefully ) relevant information about the game and having a different set of free to play champions for new players so we don't have someone really complicated like Lee Sin or Jayce for new players.

I like your idea of having bot games start on purple side as well as blue, although I know there are a bunch of implications on the bot AI side because of how they're created. I'll mention it to the team, but can't promise that we'll have time to do it.

Splinterheart

01-21-2014

On that note boourns, are there any wider plans for improving bots in LoL in general? Like Intermediate AI for custom games and general non-braindeadness?

kitcat300

01-21-2014

Huh, I never noticed that. Nice catch

boourns

UI Designer

01-21-2014
2 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinterheart View Post
On that note boourns, are there any wider plans for improving bots in LoL in general? Like Intermediate AI for custom games and general non-braindeadness?
Not really my specialty, but I know there are folks working on bot AI. I do not think harder custom game bots are part of the plan though. The custom bots are actually much "dumber" than the co-op vs. ai ones from what I understand because we can't be sure what combinations of human/bot players there will be.

Splinterheart

01-21-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Not really my specialty, but I know there are folks working on bot AI. I do not think harder custom game bots are part of the plan though. The custom bots are actually much "dumber" than the co-op vs. ai ones from what I understand because we can't be sure what combinations of human/bot players there will be.
Thanks for the reply boourns!
Hmmm, I wonder if there's a way to make smarter custom bots...Not my specialty either, so I'll just wait patiently. :P Although maybe an increased roster of custom bots would be nice...