@RIOT: Please add an option to disable automatic smart cast

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phreak

Shoutcaster

01-21-2014
2 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malurth View Post
I was all ready to hit the reply button before seeing your second paragraph to request an override for smartcast with range indicators. Glad to see we're on the same page.

There was a bug for a little while that did exactly this for Karthus, allowing me to see the range indicators for his Q while still being smartcast. I really liked that, despite already pretty much knowing his Q range like the back of my hand being a Karth main. I had a sad when it was 'fixed.'

(On a semi-related note I'd also like a setting to toggle whether you move to target or instantly cast max range when casting a skill out of its range. Currently it's handled on a case-by-case basis, rather inconsistently. I'd assume this would be a rather difficult change, though, and not all too related to the HUD anyway.)
AFAIK the way it works is that it almost always just casts "forward" unless it REALLY NEEDS to be in a specific location.

Things like Tibbers, Wards, etc. will all make you walk forward. IMO that's the right way to do it. What are your thoughts?

ForrestFyr

01-21-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
AFAIK the way it works is that it almost always just casts "forward" unless it REALLY NEEDS to be in a specific location.

Things like Tibbers, Wards, etc. will all make you walk forward. IMO that's the right way to do it. What are your thoughts?
do you agree with showing the range indicator while still maintaining smart cast? my example would be allowing you to hold shift and the spell key (changing it to key release rather than press down). This would be really helpful because I use smart cast 99% of the time but occasionally I want to be able to measure my skill shot exactly and still somewhat on the fly.

Killrazor

01-21-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post

Here's my 2 cents: I would like to see forced auto smart cast respect our smart cast with range indicator settings.
This is what it should be. I hate how forced smart cast took the range indicator away from Yasuo's charged up Q. Hope this can be remedied in a patch soon. Because forcing a player to not have a choice is just terrible design.

Rivini

01-21-2014

I'm really not a fan of smart casting, but for certain abilities like both Karthus and Cassiopeia's Q makes sense and is much more profitable in terms of damage output. Having those not set to smart cast would hinder you in the long run. After some time, you get used to their range and mechanics to not be bothered by it anymore if you're someone who is bothered by smart casting. Still, if some people insist on wanting to be able to turn it off, that's their choice and they shouldn't be bullied into playing how someone else wants them to play.

Yesterday when I played Cassiopeia, I finally tried E on smart cast for the first time (yeah, yeah...) and wow, what a difference it makes. Chaining multiple E's felt so much smoother. I'm almost convinced that was what led to my victory in a match that was on the way to defeat.

I think one factor that made me not bother switching any abilities to smart cast before was the previous key bindings menu. It felt like a hassle to look for it and change it every match, but with the new "smart cast toggle" found at the top of the menu, it makes it quick and easy. I love it.

I can normally do combos with anyone without smart casting, which is another factor. I can even do Malzahar's combo quickly. It's different with Cassiopeia because her E is far more spammable, and not having to click every time means getting in an extra E that can determine the outcome of a fight.

ZiPS

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-21-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak View Post

Agreed, I believe the issue is that this mechanic is not very well communicated to the players. I believe that knowing which spells fall into which category falls into one of those "Arcane Knowledge" things about League of Legends (if I'm using the term right after seeing a few rioters mention it a while back).

Mauu5head

01-21-2014

For skillshots, Yasuo's whirlwind for example, I believe a range indicator is near essential for well placed shots. The option needs to be included for players that want it back

brunoais

01-22-2014

I would prefer if it was smartcast with range indicator while keeping it pressed. That for all forced-smartcast abilities...

asamu

01-22-2014

Quote:
The decision to make an ability auto smart cast is a very conscious one from the champion designer. It's generally done because they believe that is the best way to use that ability effectively and the most fun.
I understand that, but for many people, (myself being one) this just isn't true for a large number of these abilities. In the other thread linked here, there have been quite extensive discussions on that exact topic.

What I would really like would be something where people can set range indicators or auto smart cast on an ability by ability basis, so that people would have more freedom in how they set their abilities. This would be hard to implement, but imho, it would be worth doing for those people that would prefer range indicators or normal casting on many (if not all) of the abilities that are currently auto-smart cast.

The auto-smart cast acknowledging range indicators thing could run into conflict on certain abilities, such as some dashes and point blank AOE. Not that that can't be worked around, but it would be nice to be able to make the decision entirely even for these abilities. There are instances where someone might not want range indicators on an ability (such as Cass E, which is currently not auto smart cast), but would want them on every other ability for that champion.

asamu

01-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivini View Post
I'm really not a fan of smart casting, but for certain abilities like both Karthus and Cassiopeia's Q makes sense and is much more profitable in terms of damage output. Having those not set to smart cast would hinder you in the long run. After some time, you get used to their range and mechanics to not be bothered by it anymore if you're someone who is bothered by smart casting. Still, if some people insist on wanting to be able to turn it off, that's their choice and they shouldn't be bullied into playing how someone else wants them to play.
Smart casting with range indicators is still smart casting. The more common complaint is to have range indicators apply for the abilities. I just thought that because there are probably some people out there that normal cast everything (And there are), I would suggest something that allowed for that if someone really wanted it.

In fact, in the case of Cassiopeia in particular, her Q, which is the ability that is auto-smart cast is not the ability that you will be spamming on CD in most cases. Typically, you will Q once, if it hits, you will spam the E on the target 6 times before the Q comes back off CD, which, in most cases will kill the target, preventing you from being able to land an additional Q on the target.

In that instance, it is more important that you land a Q than that you be able to spam it effectively. In addition, the CD on her Q is long enough that it is easily spammable with any method of casting, while her E when the target is affected by poison, is actually hindered by even using range indicators. A .5 second CD is SHORT, and is hard to manage without using regular smart cast (which is why she is so hard to play effectively). However, you have to land another skill, and be able to do so reliably in order to benefit from this.

BelligerentGnu

01-22-2014

Quote:
Here's my 2 cents: I would like to see forced auto smart cast respect our smart cast with range indicator settings. The reason why it doesn't has to do with how auto smart cast is implemented, because it is a special case kind of thing it doesn't hook into the keybinds in the same way is my guess. Having said that, I don't think it would make sense to allow normal cast to override the smart cast behavior. I trust our champion designers to make good decisions, and I wouldn't want to disregard their design intent.
For the love of all that is good and holy, YES.

Karthus Q used to do this. It doesn't anymore, I have no idea why. It made all the difference in the world, last hitting.

Please, please, please, let smartcast on key release show range indicators on auto-smartcast abilities.