Are you an expert with data, have game design sense and want to join Riot?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nnovata

01-16-2014

Is there any chance you need someone to clean the floors or the windows, or take out the garbage?

I wasn't joking, that's the most I can do with my skills.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

01-17-2014
36 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Jarvan View Post
Thanks for the reply. You're my first red response and I have been a GD man for months now. Thank you Lyte senpai.
Edit
I am having a hard time getting to the appropriate addresses to look into what you posted. Could you possibly give me a link? I know you're busy but I am trying to di this on a smart phone and it is kind of a pain.
Looks like I was wrong. We're only looking for Senior Creative Designers right now, and here's the job description:

http://www.riotgames.com/careers/sen...ative-designer

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-17-2014
37 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamibadboi View Post
Lyte do you guys use STATA or similar programs (SAS, ect.) to analyse big data?
Depends on the Rioter. Some use R, STATA, SPSS, Python, Matlab, etc.

Lyte

01-17-2014
38 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindworld View Post
Hi Lyte,

Out of curiosity, do you ever hire anyone who has no experience with League of Legends? My fiancÚ is a statistics nerd (degree in mathematics), has a lot of experience with big data and modeling in the medical field but has never actually played League of Legends. I have no idea what she's talking about most of the time, but I know she has experience in R and SQL, some knowledge of Hadoop, and loves modeling and regression analysis. We have frequent discussions about game theory (she's a board gamer) and she her typical response to losing (especially on kickstarter purchases) is something along the lines of "Did they even run Monte Carlo simulations on this game?!"
Applicants don't have to have League of Legends experience, but they do need to be gamers. We take games and play pretty seriously here, and it wouldn't be a good cultural fit if a person just didn't believe video games were a core part of their life.

Lyte

01-17-2014
39 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypsicl View Post
Lyte,

I'm very intrigued by this position. I'm currently the director of institutional research a 4-year college. I basically analyze student, faculty, and staff data and prepare dashboards and reports based on that data in order to inform decision making for the senior team.

To see an example of my statistical reasoning (note that I intentionally left out the mathy talk), see this ancient post:

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...t=apocalypsicl

Here are a couple of analyses I would be interested in running if I worked for you guys:

1) To what degree do players honor "calling" in a game lobby?

I would look at all game lobbies where the message "adc" (or other similar messages like "ad" or "adc please") and look at the percentage of games where they (the first player to "call" adc) end up playing the only adc in the game.

I would then see how this percentage varied by:
Actual pick order (was this person 2nd pick, 3rd pick, etc.)
Elo (of individual, or average of team)
Over time (are people less likely to "honor" pick order now vs season 1)

2) Does a team's initial attitudes (as defined by the messages in lobby and in first 2 minutes of game) affect win-rate?

The "team attitude score" could be gauged according to the use of words and phrases that are known to lead to positive reports for individual players. So, the use of words like "gl hf," "fill," "thanks," "sure," would increase a team's attitude score, and words that get censored and other words like "feed," "suck," "don't" etc. would contribute toward a negative team attitude score.

I would then run a logistic regression to see if Team A's (chosen randomly) attitude gap (calculated as Team A's attitude score - Team B's attitude score) could predict a win.

If this effect did exist (and I bet it would), what could it mean?
Well, maybe every game lobby should have a tiny delay of being able to enter a chat, and the first message that would appear in the chatbox would be "Riot Team: Good luck, and have fun!" This may prompt a positive mindset before any messages are typed.

Should I apply? (I know, a stupid question)
Interestingly, people asking if they should apply isn't a stupid question. By us saying "Yes" or "No" it gives all other readers insight into where the potential bar might be, and helps filters the applicants down to the qualified, top-notch candidates.

If you can run the analyses above yourself using the software package of your choice, and your design chops are good enough to own the design of some of our systems, you definitely should apply.

USS BUTTPEE

01-17-2014

If I get the job can I use highly experimental techniques from topological data analysis to analyze things?

:V

Viktorious Alekt

01-17-2014

Is there a correlation between Champion Played and Toxicity? Or a correlation with Toxicity amongst Players in the Game when X Champion is played?

-For example, are Viktor Players more prone to negative attitude?
-Does Toxicity increase globally during a game where Fizz is picked?

ArmySquirrel

01-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Depends on the Rioter. Some use R, STATA, SPSS, Python, Matlab, etc.
So kind of a whatever your preference is and whatever you want to use to get the job done in a timely fashion?

USS BUTTPEE

01-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySquirrel View Post
So kind of a whatever your preference is and whatever you want to use to get the job done in a timely fashion?
MATLAB is gross and people who use it are gross.

SHOTS FIRED.

Lyte

01-17-2014
40 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySquirrel View Post
Basically We can get you whatever software you need, all that matters are that the outcomes are insightful and accessible.