My Faith in this Community has gotten a bit stronger.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GreatPrinceBambi

01-16-2014

TL DR: This is a bit of a Dear Diary sort of thing, but it's more positive than negative, so I'm happy to share it. Most people sit by and do nothing when someone is being extremely toxic towards other players. However, it's nice to know that there are a few people who are willing to stand up towards these people ingame.

I just had an awful game in ranked where Akali told me to jungle Warwick.

I complied, only to be nice, since a teammate requested I do so.

When the game loaded, Akali told us that she had the wrong runes, which is a common mistake, so we mainly brushed it off. At 1:50, she then told the enemy team, which was a bit worrying, seeing how saying such a thing would make you an early easy target. She ended up pushing top without wards while I was still getting my wolf camp on purple side, still trying to hit level 3. Elise ganked her pretty easily for first blood.

Trying to help Akali not fall behind, I decide to head top to defend her turret. I don't take much, maybe 3 CS. It's okay, since Akali is still getting back to lane and the tower would've killed them anyways. I was apparently wrong, since Akali suddenly types in all chat: "Well, I guess that shows which team has a jungler and which team has the downie." I try to shake it off, not commenting on Akali. After all, Elise is barely farming her jungle, and I top her by about 15 CS already. Our bot lane ends up getting overwhelmed by a Morgana ult, where I, admittedly, was too slow to get there in time to help. Once again in /all, Akali speaks. "Man, I wish we had a Jungler." At this time, I haven't hit level 6 yet, and short of Leona and Swain's snare, there was no CC to hold the enemy down if I ganked. The enemy Morgana then chimes in with "Hey, stop complaining, Akali. Ward your lane properly."

Akali then says "afk" and doesn't disconnect, but stands still in front of Aatrox, letting him kill her. She repeats this three times before selling all her items and afking, flaming both me and our 2-0 Sivir, who tried to calm Akali down. She asks for nine reports on me and Sivir for being a trash duo, even though Sivir told us that she was duoing with Leona. However, the enemy Elise responded back.

"Holy ****, just leave them alone. They haven't done anything wrong all game. Just go afk like you promised while us adults play."

Not only Elise, but the rest of the enemy team began speaking out for us. The eight of us (Excluding Swain, who was duoing with Akali), managed to band together in telling that her toxic attitude was ruining the game for everyone involved. Unfortunately, Akali and Swain decided to sit in base and do nothing as they overtook our Nexus, but we managed to have both of them reported eight times in the end game chat.

In the end, I was quite disappointed that I had gotten trolled in a Provisional game, but honestly, I'm more happy that there are people in this community, however spread thin, that are willing to stand up to bullying, which online or not, is a pretty darn good character trait.

The Eena

01-16-2014

So 80% of the community is non toxic as seen from this 10 person game sample. Lyte was right.

Subzeroa

01-16-2014

Glad you had an experience where they players did the right thing. Yesterday the opposite happened to me. We had a cait go with smite and afk farm the jungle for half the game then afked at fountain. Me and leona were obviously mad and tried to tell her to help us and to stop trolling. This cait proceeds to flame us and then gets the enemy team to flame us too, I guess just because they thought it was funny.

Long story short, me and leona get like 5 reports from this Cait and members from the other team. So unlike you, I do not have faith in this community.

Demacian Dunk

01-16-2014

Meanwhile, he trolled you guys pretty hard.

GreatPrinceBambi

01-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzeroa View Post
Glad you had an experience where they players did the right thing. Yesterday the opposite happened to me. We had a cait go with smite and afk farm the jungle for half the game then afked at fountain. Me and leona were obviously mad and tried to tell her to help us and to stop trolling. This cait proceeds to flame us and then gets the enemy team to flame us too, I guess just because they thought it was funny.

Long story short, me and leona get like 5 reports from this Cait and members from the other team. So unlike you, I do not have faith in this community.
It's a problem in this community, for sure.

However, in the end, it's only a game. It's better to look for the shining gems rather than wallow in the dirt.

-Taric 2014

GreatPrinceBambi

01-16-2014

Bumping to spread the happiness!

SirTimbo

01-16-2014

I had a similar game in normals where the enemy team was kind to me. I got queued with a 4 man premade, they wanted me to support but didn't tell me. I was second last pick in draft, the last guy locks in Garen without smite immediately so us not having a jungler I pick WW and grab smite.

That's when they get mad and tell me to support, I point out that technically nobody said a word to me and it's pick order at that. They spend the rest of the game following me around the whole mapas a team and tell the enemy to report me, however they figured it out and reported the other 4 lol.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

01-29-2014
1 of 1 Riot Posts

This is a pretty interesting story, thanks for posting.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about online cultures versus real-life cultures, and why they are so different in some cases. In some of our recent research and data (which we'll be presenting in talks in 2014), we're beginning to see more and more that the differences in online versus offline isn't the people--it's the systems and structures in place (or lack thereof).

As humans, we're all about feedback loops. We commit an action, we receive some feedback, and we learn from it and the result changes some aspect of our behaviors. This is admittedly a super simplification of feedback and learning, but an example would be we study for an exam, do well on the exam, and the exam result reinforces us to keep studying for future exams and we eventually learn that studying = good.

In real life, strong feedback loops are everywhere. Almost every action you do in real life has some kind of outcome--negative or positive, it doesn't really matter. What matters is that every action has an outcome. I'm beginning to see that online cultures lack a lot of feedback. In the early days of the internet, you could be extremely negative or racist, and nothing really happened and you received 0 feedback. But in real life, if you were racist, cultures have learned to step up and challenge racism. There are still gaps in real life cultures though; for example, there are studies showing that if someone needs critical help near a crowd of people, people are less likely to assist the person than if someone needs critical help in front of 1 person--this is known as the bystander effect. Further studies have shown that if you do need help in a crowd of people, you need to point at someone and say specifically, "you, please call 911" or similar. This call to action works the majority of times, showing that people are willing to help and good at heart, but that there are simply social or cultural barriers in place preventing the average person from simply stepping up and acting. But, by pointing at someone, you can create a hero out of an everyday person and now they do something extremely positive such as calling 911 which could save someone's life.

So what happens when we make it easy for people to be heroes that stand up to negativity, and celebrate sportsmanship? What happens if we add a bunch of systems to real-life and online cultures that make it easy for players to be everyday heroes? Let's try to make being good the path of least resistance in League, because in the end, we all want to just have awesome experiences and fun in League.

Anyways, there's a lot to think about when it comes to the future of online games. I'm hoping Team Builder is one of the first systems to incorporate a lot of our new research and show what a system that makes it super easy to 'do the right thing' can do for the player experience. Through Team Builder, we're giving all the power to the players--we're giving more trust than we ever have before to the community, and so far, the games I've been seeing from Team Builder have been fun to watch. The number of teams trying double jungle strategies also makes me smile with glee

Kevinxsenpai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2014

how can sivir and leona be a duo if akali and swain are a duo...teams can only have 1 duo...

something isn't right here...

EDIT: It can't be normals if he was in provisionals

Dake Chessert

01-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinxsenpai View Post
how can sivir and leona be a duo if akali and swain are a duo...teams can only have 1 duo...

There's a magical place called "Normal queue" where anything is possible.