Why do we do reworks?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Starlighte

01-16-2014

Scruffy,

Is there a reason that the Splash Art Team and the Rework Team aren't synced up? It is pretty disappointing to have a champion reworked and still have triangle feet in their splash or vice versa. Is there a chance we will be seeing better coordination between the two teams in the future? And by future, I mean the next rework, because there is nothing worse than hearing, "We'll do better in the future." and then the very next rework doesn't abide by what you guys say you want to do better.

FeralPony

Live Balance Designer

01-16-2014
11 of 25 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
Gangplank's ult is not the type of global ult that Morello was referring to. Morello was talking about the global passive ults that are very powerful but hard to appreciate, thus making them hard to balance. Gangplank's ult is global but it has both gameplay (avoid the damage) and it is easy to appreciate.
Want to pop in and explain our stance on global ultimates a bit more since we haven't been very clear about it in the past. The historical problems we've had with those ultimates have always been global moves that transport the character physically to the location.

The reason for this is that once your character has the ability to move globally you are to apply 100% of your characters power anywhere on the map which means they inherently cannot be as powerful as normal champions. To be balanced they need to be so weak that they can't even compete with other champions toe to toe, which generally leads to a very unsatisfying play experience.

Having an ability with a global range however allows a character to transfer a percentage, even a fairly large percentage, of their power to impact other parts of the map or fights. This can create really exciting moments, encourages teamplay, and is overall is a very satisfying and healthy mechanic. This is why we haven't removed the global range or had any real issues with ultimates like Gangplank's Cannon Barrage or Ashe's ECA but have had a lot of balancing issues with Twisted Fates Gate and Pantheon's Targoneian ManDrop.

gamelink

01-16-2014

Quote:
Gangplank's ult is not the type of global ult that Morello was referring to. Morello was talking about the global passive ults that are very powerful but hard to appreciate, thus making them hard to balance. Gangplank's ult is global but it has both gameplay (avoid the damage) and it is easy to appreciate.
what's the status of yorick

Healyourownbum

01-16-2014

Quote:
Our goal is to make the kit fit the champion more, not less. One of the first things that we do when starting a rework is say "what is this champion about?" "what is their role?" "what are their strengths and weaknesses?" Then from that we try to improve the kit in a direction that further supports the identity of the champion.
Well you bloody damn well failed on Karma then, and made her a Q spamming *****.

Edit* Not my proudest message ever. But still in my eyes the Karma rework failed she went from someone helping out ppl to being selfish and just being all about dealing damage. I do not like her Riot has failed be big time with this rework and lost my respect with then after the rework doing threads for other champions to see what ppl love about them.

It feels like a massive flip off to me, saying. See we can listen to ppl we just didnt want to listen to karma fans cause screw you guys.

So yes i do not buy RP anymore i have refunded her. And i now only play when my friends or brother asks me to do a match. But Riot showing they can delete what ever you buy and give you something compleetly differnt in return for it, just doesnt seem like something i would want to spend my money on ever. If i want to gamble i rather do it with something i have a chance of atleast earning a buck back.

Nkighte

01-16-2014

I'd like to thank you for the work everyone at Riot has done on the recent updates/reworks. :]

Will their continue to be "surprise" choices for certain updates (champions aside from the obvious - Sion, Taric, Eve, Twitch etc.)?

And can you discuss your views (not ones necessarily in the works) for middling champions (visually - MF, Lux, Irelia, etc., or kit-wise) that you would like to see changes for?

Ralik098

01-16-2014

Are we going to have to wait another year before someone works on Irelia? Meddler mentioned that she should be worked on in the fighter changes but I haven't seen anyone confirm 100% that she will, nor will they talk about what the plan is going to be for her. RicklessAbandon talked about her some and it sounded like nothing has been done at all.

IS19bfbe1eaa3398707ebc4

01-16-2014

will we see something big for rumble coming in 2014? A rework? A Skin? Just say yes, please...

peter1991

01-16-2014

How hot (likely) are these characters for the next reworks?

Zilean
Sion
Urgot
Udyr
Poppy
Pantheon
Kassadin
Udyr

hornypineapple

01-16-2014

I keep reading about these two, but have yet to hear anything in the forums or reddit:

1. Ryze

I know that someone from Riot said that his VU was getting closer to completion at PAX, but nothing since.

2. Cho'Gath

Digging through the ol' internet, I've kept reading that Riot has him closer to the top of the list, but not hearing anything official on his VU.

Any input on these two?

Any input on these?

archangelfighter

01-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralPony View Post
Want to pop in and explain our stance on global ultimates a bit more since we haven't been very clear about it in the past. The historical problems we've had with those ultimates have always been global moves that transport the character physically to the location.

The reason for this is that once your character has the ability to move globally you are to apply 100% of your characters power anywhere on the map which means they inherently cannot be as powerful as normal champions. To be balanced they need to be so weak that they can't even compete with other champions toe to toe, which generally leads to a very unsatisfying play experience.

Having an ability with a global range however allows a character to transfer a percentage, even a fairly large percentage, of their power to impact other parts of the map or fights. This can create really exciting moments, encourages teamplay, and is overall is a very satisfying and healthy mechanic. This is why we haven't removed the global range or had any real issues with ultimates like Gangplank's Cannon Barrage or Ashe's ECA but have had a lot of balancing issues with Twisted Fates Gate and Pantheon's Targoneian ManDrop.
Then the solution is simple.
Put TFs Gate back on E.
(kidding but not kidding.)