Why do we do reworks?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Seraph Nephriel

01-16-2014

I know Morello wanted to take an axe to Kayle a while ago before she saw any competitive play. If she still slated for a rework?

RiotScruffy

Game Designer

01-16-2014
6 of 25 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhawke View Post
Here's some questions, thanks for starting a thread, Scruffy.

Is it safe to say that one of the reasons the Trundle rework was perceived in a bad light is because it didn't fulfill any of the four things you listed?

Do you ever see a large-scale set of Garen or Katarina level reworks happening to fix an entire class (fighters/bruisers or supports, for example)?

Who's a good candidate for the fourth point you mention? This is a quality I value, and I'd love to see more of this in League.

And this question is less general, but I'd love to hear what your thoughts about Sion are. Where would you like to see him go and what do you see as his thematic and mechanical niche in the game?
Great questions.

At the time of some of the early reworks like Trundle, we were still figuring out what and how to do a great rework while preserving the core of a champion. In the end I think that they turned out well, but there are definitely things that we know now that will help us have a smoother time with reworks like those in the future. We are always learning.

We would really like to do large scale reworks like fighters, but realistically we will probably have to do them in manageable chunks. Over the course of time though we can probably overhaul an larger role one step at a time.

Many champions could actually a great candidate for the fourth goal (more unique role). We could focus on pushing elements (like with Ziggs) or make a "tank buster" character. When looking at a champ like Warwick, we would like to emphasize his unique role as a "drain tank."

FeralPony is working on a really significant update to Sion and he wants to really deliver on Sion as the "monstrous undead warrior with a giant axe thing" that Sion could be. You should ask him for the details I wont spoil it.

Xedrox

01-16-2014

I understand you guys are trying to fix old champions and bring them up to date and thats great!

but isnt 6 champions a season a little too slow?

Dryad Soraka

01-16-2014

How far along is the Taric visual upgrade? (answer my question please)

Sorioku

01-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xedrox View Post
I understand you guys are trying to fix old champions and bring them up to date and thats great!

but isnt 6 champions a season a little too slow?
Putting myself in their shoes. A rework probably would take a pretty long time.

RiotScruffy

Game Designer

01-16-2014
7 of 25 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryad Soraka View Post
Also can you give any details on the Soraka rework?
We are still in the early stages of talking about Soraka, but she is a champion that we want to address very soon. Don't expect anything in the next few patches, but we are definitely starting to work on her.

Im Clowner

01-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
I can confirm that deceive is not removed in Shaco's rework. It's actually going very well so far, and we might be able to share and discuss those changes pretty soon.

Care to elaborate a bit more on shaco?

Hes the reason I play, started playing and got to diamond, so I'm very worried about potential changes.

RixuS

01-16-2014

The real answer: "Job security"

Chillin

01-16-2014

I fear reworks as a yorick main the champ i love to play ill admit hes strong in the sense of lane bully and sustain but he trades it off for being immobile, I can also confirm with a 65% win ratio in plat his mid and late game are far from useless, like most people will tell you or want you to believe.
I fear when he gets reworked you will gut all his strong points and turn him into just another bruiser whose job can be done better by the other 51+ bruisers out there. No more unique original kit for me to continue playing and like trundle he will maybe see a spike of play and then once again no one will play him, and this will only hurt true fans/players of yorick. Id rather see nerfing some of his numbers and power shifting some of it to his W or Q then flat out change the champ i love to play

Timeless Yyr

01-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
I can confirm that deceive is not removed in Shaco's rework. It's actually going very well so far, and we might be able to share and discuss those changes pretty soon.
i remember a Rioter (Morello???) speaking about Shaco some time ago, saying he was testing a very "crazy" ultimate for him.
Without going into details, can you say if that "crazy" idea is still being tested or scrapped??