Why do we do reworks?

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 47
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotScruffy

Game Designer

01-16-2014
1 of 25 Riot Posts

Hey all,

We are really excited about all of the reworks and visual updates that we have released recently and all of the ones that are coming this year. As great as they are, the question of "why change things?" often arises, and it is absolutely valid. At a high level we have certain goals when we choose to rework the gameplay, visuals, or lore of a champion:

• Maximize the potential of a character - This could be anything from better art to entirely new skills that deliver the character's theme in a much more cool or interesting way.
  • Make the character more fun to play with and against - When a character has particularly problematic abilities that are very frustrating to play against or don't offer their opponents any way to play against, we will always try to create better gameplay for their opponent while maintaining the fun and power of the character.
  • Upgrade old characters to our current quality standards - There is a lot of years old art that we can just improve by updating it (Nasus, so doge).
  • Focus a character into a more unique role - If the opportunity is available, we would like for all characters to bring unique value and gameplay to their team.

Things like nerfs and buffs are not reasons for a champion rework, because those can be usually accomplished through number tuning on damage, cooldowns, mana. It's true that reworks will always have an effect on the power of a champion, but their primary purpose is to improve the gameplay and mechanics. After a rework we will always continue to balance champions and hopefully the game is improved in the long term with the gameplay improvements that a rework brings.

If you all have any questions about our rework philosophy in general, we're here (maybe I can rope Meddler or CertainlyT into this conversation as well) to answer questions and discuss.

Edit: For some clarification, I am working on a bunch of reworks myself. Also I am involved in helping the other designers, writers, and artists in the other reworks that I am not personally working on.

-Scruffy

Jasiwel

01-16-2014

Glad to see a Red Post on this subject.

What's the level of struggle between the game design department and the art department when reworking a champion? From what we've been told here and there, some design aspects are limited by what the engine can do; artwise and vice versa.

Best Lulu Ever

01-16-2014

Yo lets get dem support reworks...cuz all i see are nerfed supports...#bringbacksupports

ThelceCreamMan

01-16-2014

Never been on the first page before *.*

Who's next for a rework?

Postal Miku

01-16-2014

Makes no sense when you look at someone like Soraka

"We kept her as the healer type you guys wanted, but we can't make her good at all, so here have the same Soraka you have been using for the last 3 years"

BUT
with other reworks, yes they have actually helped, but most of the time, you tend to rework a champion, then people play them more, and then they get nerfed to around the same state as they were before the rework, kinda like Gangplank, but i think he was better off before the rework happened, much more money

JarBeeKar

01-16-2014

What makes a champ suitable for a rework? I've noticed it's primarily older champs such as Yi and Sivir, but what about champs like Rengar, who is still fairly new?

pandemiclegion

01-16-2014

like make soraka viable?

Fatalfugus

01-16-2014

Thanks, Scruffy. I'm still not crazy about all the reworks being pumped out, but I appreciate this. Love ya, Rito.

Slovakattack

01-16-2014

Almost all of the past year's reworks have been extremely successful, and with Xerath on the way I don't see that trend ending anytime soon. Give your rework team a pat on the back. They deserve it.

PvP Owner

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-16-2014

I understand.

1234511 ... 47