Are you an expert with data, have game design sense and want to join Riot?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PrefaceOfTheGods

01-15-2014

This isn't directly related to this specific role, but it's a question I want to ask regardless.

I am currently an author hoping to get published by 2017, and am a little bit unhappy with Riot's current quality of lore - say I wrote a high-quality League based novel as an example, would this mean I could get into Riot's lore department in some way and assist in improving the state of the lore, be it through novels, books or otherwise?

If you want to know exactly which parts I feel it's lacking in specifically, let me know~

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

01-15-2014
26 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang0r View Post
@Lyte, I'm actually running a data mining operation on tribunal cases currently. I started from case 6690000 so I have about a month's worth of data (~17000 cases right now)

Hopefully, I'll get some interesting results for you to look at over the weekend :O (though I wouldn't be surprised if you already have a framework set up for looking at tribunal data >_<)
We do, but the fact that you can do the analyses and generate insights from them is a plus if you were to apply. If you can teach us something new about the systems, or generate new insights we haven't figured out that can inform future decisions, then +++++ bonus points.

Fudouri

01-15-2014

Woo. While you are replying, I don't know if you remember me. Over the summer (maybe it was last summer) I had played with the Tribunal data and it was just a lot of fun. Stopped because I got frustrated with the lack of data.

Is there any way to get an NDA or what not to access some of the fields which currently can't be scraped? No interest in a job (as much as I'd like to, think I'm outside salary expectations), but I feel like the tribunal is one of the most interesting places to get social experiment data and so it would be fun to play with.

Domo Ahrigato

01-15-2014

I wish I were. I've been doing a lot of game programming over the last year and a half, but nowhere near a useful level.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

01-15-2014
27 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizzadDeBz View Post
Ok so:
BS in Business Economics and Finance
BA in French
Some academic background in Engineering and Accounting

Statistics:
Engineering statistics for applications (distributions, hypothesis testing, basic regression)
Business Forecasting (Exponential smoothing, regression, and box-jenkins models, interpreting statistical data for business application[basic language for business reports])
Eviews, Minitab, and Excel

Basic database background from Computer management/information systems. Family in big data and programming so I could learn other stuff pretty easily in theory.

Soc/Psyc background limited to Organizational behavior and basic psychology and whatever human insights I've gained from extensive language/literary background.

I have a feeling the stat background is not intense enough but just curious.
Might be a bit weak on the stats background, but it's close. Do you have strong experience with SQL?

King Rath

01-15-2014

Hey Lyte,

What sort of team would one at this position be working with or is it more of a solo lane? Is there a preferred number of years experience? I have a BS in Information Technology and finishing my MS in Information Technology both emphasizing in database technologies. Also have some experience under my belt. I'll be sure to apply. Feel free to tweet me @savtwo

Thanks!

KiteAzure

01-15-2014

Hi lyte I met you at the world championships when you were with your wife! I was walking around with miss ryze at the time, you guys are great and I still love your video about league behavior!

GundayMonday

01-15-2014

Hey Lyte,

Applied for the Statistician posting a few months back and have my third interview next Tuesday with Mr. Bonaparte. Would you mind taking a look at my resume? This is the kind of work I'd like to be doing and I fit every desired quality you listed. Good luck finding someone awesome for this regardless!

TheWolff

01-15-2014

Hey Lyte!

Question first: I've read through the posting and your previous comments. Anything specific within the declared subject matter areas you are looking for? You mentioned SQL in prior posts, and the posting refers to Machine Learning. Anything else? Also, what kind of skills would you prefer an applicant has mastered, and what do you think you could 'train to' or mentor?

My background:
B.S. in Math/Stat (Pre-Actuarial Science)
Data Analyst in banking industry.
I use SQL and SAS every day for my data mining and analysis.
I use Tableau for reporting.
I know my way around Python and Octave ("free Matlab").
Have used R, but not regular user.
Have been to Riot to interview for similar positions in the past, will be there again in coming weeks (mentioned this to you on Twitter).
Recently completed a Machine Learning course through Stanford (on Coursera); very excited to begin applying these methods.
In my prior interview, I have identified player behavior and game design roles (as an analyst) as my top interests.
No formal instruction or experience in Game Design, but feel I have good instincts. Seeking mentorship in this area.

Right now, I'm kind of on the fence as to whether I should apply or not; I'm very much focused on the other position at Riot right now. However, it makes sense to pursue both as I am not a CA resident, and I'd prefer to optimize my time & money (as well as yours) in the event that the other position ends up not being the best fit. My expectation is to be a the Riot offices in the next 2-4 weeks (waiting for my recruiter to set it up). Ideally, I'd just stay an extra day and visit with your team then. Your thoughts? I don't know if you'd prefer I go through the official channels (apply, phone interview, etc.) first, talk to me while I'm there, or wait and see how the other interview shakes out.

RocketSlug

01-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
It's critical for this position because we need someone who can break down a problem space or question, determine the right techniques or methodologies to employ, then actually run the analyses themselves and generate the reports in plain English.
Lyte, I'm really excited for this job posting, as it matches closely with what my current job's responsibilities. Bachelor's in Industrial Engineering (Operations Research) from Georgia Tech, currently working in supply chain management as a data analyst. I support the demand planning team and am the go-to guy for any data pull and master of every report that our team generates. Previous experience in other roles also included root cause analysis for various business issues.

My only concern is probably my technical skillset. Currently working on applying for a Master's program in data science, but from your previous posts in this thread I'm interested if my current credentials are sufficient, since I do have some saving graces. Our data frameworks at my current company aren't rich (nothing massive, standard SAP Enterprise Resource Planning system), but I'm a whiz with crunching that data in Excel. Seriously, some of the sorcery I've cooked up in my worksheets would have me burned at the stake for witchcraft. And anything I can't do in the cells I automate by writing my own macros and scripts (handy for actually generating the reports). Coursework from college has taught me MatLab, MySQL (relational databases in general), and Java for programming languages as well, and am familiar with the principles of distributed computing models like MapReduce/Hadoop (no practical experience, however), but they're slightly stagnant for lack of use in my current role.

As an answer to your previous question on interesting insights, the some questions I would like to investigate include:
  • The value-add for allowing a lane position selection for non-captains queuing into team builder. Controlling for champion, investigate how often an offered position is rejected by the player before one is accepted and compare with the increase in queue time. Will probably also need survey data on how frustrating searching for the "perfect" team is. Would players prefer longer wait times with smaller chance of rejection or a more "speed dating" approach?
  • Player behavior in response to honor. Investigate whether being honored or being on the team of an honorable player improves other players' behavior in future games, how long that effect lasts, and whether it increases the likelihood of those players honoring others. Can positivity spread like toxicity does? Implications for possible pareto principle effects on positive (i.e. above neutral) behavior.
  • Performance metrics for the Tribunal, like mean time a case spends in deliberation and other such details an operations research geek like me would appreciate.
  • (FAR OUT THERE, inspired by your PAX East 2012 panel) Investigate possibly creating player psychographic profiles to augment matchmaking. Build models that would automatically rate your playstyle as casual/competitive, team-oriented/selfish, tactical/strategic, and matchmake players that are not only similar skill-wise (MMR) but also of similar/compatible psychographic profiles.