Are you an expert with data, have game design sense and want to join Riot?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Goumindong

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2014

Its the drill down into the dataset which should scare you if you don't have the statistical knowledge. For the most part all of the computations have packages in R which do it more or less for you (you can do nearly full Bayesian estimation now) and R is a pretty simple matrix/vector based scripting language. Knowing what data you should have and how to work it is the hard part of applied statistics; you can be pretty sure that the theory guys have done their homework on the estimator properties.

*And free, so if you ever want to mess around with R just go download it.

Brozan

01-15-2014

I wish you guys did telecommuting. I'm a senior developer in this exact field and would love to work for Riot, but moving to Cali just isn't in the cards.

simpsonboy77

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2014

Do I have a shot?

Electrical engineer with experience in semiconductor testing and modeling.

WizzadDeBz

01-15-2014

Ok so:
BS in Business Economics and Finance
BA in French
Some academic background in Engineering and Accounting

Statistics:
Engineering statistics for applications (distributions, hypothesis testing, basic regression)
Business Forecasting (Exponential smoothing, regression, and box-jenkins models, interpreting statistical data for business application[basic language for business reports])
Eviews, Minitab, and Excel

Basic database background from Computer management/information systems. Family in big data and programming so I could learn other stuff pretty easily in theory.

Soc/Psyc background limited to Organizational behavior and basic psychology and whatever human insights I've gained from extensive language/literary background.

I have a feeling the stat background is not intense enough but just curious.

Dryad Soraka

01-15-2014

let's not hire people from GD

DBallZ Vegeta

01-15-2014

Likes data?

I once wrote a program that used public access past winning lottery numbers and output a **** ton of scenarios for every number.

I haven't won the lottery, but working at Riot games could be just as good.

:^)

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

01-15-2014
22 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labcown View Post
In regards with Team Builder, can you tell us about the general direction you're taking it? As in, are you and your team still tailoring it to be a seperate queue alongside the current one like in most of the iterations seen one the PBE? Or are you trying to modify the experience to allow it to be used as the main queue and get rid of the queue we have now?
Depending on the next few PBE tests, we're probably going to try some Live Betas on some servers and see how it performs there and what the player reception is.

But, nothing is set in stone yet and I still have to dive into the latest reports on the last PBE test.

Lyte

01-15-2014
23 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro4never View Post
Bah every time I see posts like this it makes me want to continue developing my programming skillz.

@Lyte - I hate to throw this off topic but I've always been curious... what type of job would someone with a background in program but emphasis on feature design and integration be looking at?... Cause I've avoided 'programming' jobs because I just don't feel I'd make a competitive candidate (plus the general career trajectory of a programmer in the gaming industry is horrifying) and so instead have focused more along designing and integrating features

EG: I've done a lot of work writing pservers before but my focus has been on taking the concept of what the game should be and turning it into tangible features and systems that the original game never had.

Anyways, best of luck to all the applicants!
Sounds like you're interested in the Tech Designer role, which is a hybrid Game Designer with enough engineering expertise to contribute directly to the integration and execution of features.

Lyte

01-15-2014
24 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosLogan View Post
Can you give a sample type question that someone might face in this position? Doesn't need to be Riot centric for the example, just a type of problem they will be facing.

To be honest, this has gotten my attention to see if I could do something like this but I am afraid of what I don't know I don't know.
One player behavior example would be: "How would you identify the positive players of a community?" or "Can you predict when someone is having a bad day, and that that is affecting their attitude or playstyle?"

Your sources of data could be reports (all categories, received and sent), honors (all categories, received and sent), chat logs, game engagement (what game modes does a player play, how often, with who, etc), social networks (who is on a player's friends list?), etc.

Lyte

01-15-2014
25 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang0r View Post
@Lyte, I'm actually running a data mining operation on tribunal cases currently. I started from case 6690000 so I have about a month's worth of data (~17000 cases right now)

Hopefully, I'll get some interesting results for you to look at over the weekend :O (though I wouldn't be surprised if you already have a framework set up for looking at tribunal data >_<)
We do, but the fact that you can do it, and can generate insights from it would be a great bonus if you were to apply. If you can teach us something new about the systems or draw new insights to inform future decisions, then ++++++ bonus.