Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

01-15-2014
44 of 97 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasheenomed View Post
considering spells are made to be seeable on summoners rift the best, I almost feel like you can't move far away from the summoner's rift color palette if you want to make a competitive map.... I'm assuming that would be correct?

I've always felt like normal games would be a good non competitive place for skins or even map reworks. imagining a new normal queue that takes summoners rift and gives it skins or even small edits to the map to make the skins look a lot better.... or to take it to an extreme, allowing the summoner's rift gamestyle in many different set up 3 lane maps. It wouldn't destroy the competitive game, but for those that get bored of regular summoners rift it would be a great alternate experience that would let the environment team show there creativity.

overall my point is that normal games would be a great outlet for skins compared to ranked imo, and that implementing either a seperate queue or just normal only skins/alternate edited sr maps might be a cool direction to go
This is not completely accurate. I created an in game test map that includes swatches of each of our maps which VFX are balanced against. Generally speaking the environment needs to be in a lower saturation and Value range than either the characters, HUD, or VFX. Right now TT does the best job of being a readable background for combat. SR actually has a lot of room for improvement in that regard.

Hellioning

01-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
This is not completely accurate. I created an in game test map that includes swatches of each of our maps which VFX are balanced against. Generally speaking the environment needs to be in a lower saturation and Value range than either the characters, HUD, or VFX. Right now TT does the best job of being a readable background for combat. SR actually has a lot of room for improvement in that regard.
Can we keep SR looking colorful, please? TT looks boring and dark and dreary.

chouzazazaza

01-15-2014

RiotForScience, you mentioned something that gave me a little idea, not sure if it has been given before or might not be a good one, but you said you would like to see a SR map set in Piltover rather than winter, well, what if you could make various map skins so there is one for every city, and depending on the number of champions of X city, the game takes place in that city's map. For example, 1 game: 3 Demacian champs, 5 from Noxus and 1 from Ionia and another from Shurima, as there are more Noxian champs, the battle takes place in that city.

A problem would be Freljord and Shadow Isles, because they already got their own map (or atleast is what I think).

EDIT: Maybe could be able to change monster's skins for example in a Shurima Desert map, snakes instead of wolves, (My imagination cannot go any further than that example), but still keep the same stats.

exec3

01-15-2014

Quote:
This is interesting because I remember reading forever go that the reason Winter wasn't reinstated when Harrowing was removed from rotation (this being before SR1.1) was because VFX and things were more difficult to see (they were designed with Summer in mind) and that you guys wanted to find a solution to that before bringing it back.

Limakoko808

01-16-2014

So i made a thread about improving the idle animations for the jungle camps and drag/baron. I just dont like how they are all doing basically nothing if no one attacks them. I mean a dragon that wont try to eat a tasty little yordle walking a foot away? So why not just make them sleeping? It's simple and would improve the overall cosmetic of the map.

I also mentioned some ideas of what could be done if it were possible to not have them hold idle positions, such as baron/dragon tearing up a teemo corpse.
http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=4193319

RiotForScience

01-16-2014
45 of 97 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouzazazaza View Post
RiotForScience, you mentioned something that gave me a little idea, not sure if it has been given before or might not be a good one, but you said you would like to see a SR map set in Piltover rather than winter, well, what if you could make various map skins so there is one for every city, and depending on the number of champions of X city, the game takes place in that city's map. For example, 1 game: 3 Demacian champs, 5 from Noxus and 1 from Ionia and another from Shurima, as there are more Noxian champs, the battle takes place in that city.

A problem would be Freljord and Shadow Isles, because they already got their own map (or atleast is what I think).

Hypothetically you could set the map up so that each character feels like he is defending his home since I am pretty sure all of the environment art is "Client-Side". We would need an army of artists to pull that off but it might be fun.

exec3

01-18-2014

This may be offtopic but I was thinking earlier about how a champions corpse remains on the ground after they die which is cool but when they respawn the corpse just disappears or pops out of existence. What if there was a small effect like in the original cinematic trailer (when Warwick dies) where the corpse fades away into light, it would look a lot better than how it currently just disappears.

Slightly related (and probably even more offtopic, soz :S ) creeps and monsters (and they're not the only things) that are dieing fade away but there's very clearly an outline around them until they die (at which point it pops out of existence). Any idea on if that might be changed one day so the whole thing fades away in uniform?

RiotForScience

01-22-2014
46 of 97 Riot Posts

Hey folks, This thread has been around for a while and I wanted to do a summary of the feedback I am hearing here. So I re-read the entire thread and made a note of each point of feedback that was given. I also noticed several highly repeated points of feedback, which I assume are the issues that are the primary areas of improvement.

Most common feedback

Minions, Monsters and Gameplay objects need a VU
The map needs to retain a lighthearted feel
The creep camps need to make sense for the monsters that live there
The river needs to make sense and feel like a river
Trees and bushes should not be so uniform, Need to be proportional to the Champions
Make Summonerís Rift fit itís lore; or make the lore fit SR.
SR should be themed for conflict.
Music should be upgraded
The map needs lots of ambient life.
SR needs to be performant on low end machines
The map gets battle scars during the match
Balance the map by rotating it 45 degrees

If there is anything that you feel is important that wasn't on this list feel free to post it here. I read everything on this thread. I am going to make several posts breaking down into deeper detail some of this feedback

RiotForScience

01-22-2014
47 of 97 Riot Posts

Quote:
The map gets battle scars during the match
Balance the map by rotating it 45 degrees
I wanted to go into a little more detail about these 2 ideas.

The idea of Environmental Battle damage is really fun! But it could impact gamplay in unexpected ways and is more of an "Icing on the cake" feature than the core of what would be required for a VU. This type of feature is also less compatible with some of the technology and techniques we are using.

Rotating the map is frequently discussed and was even prototyped internally. We abandoned the idea for several reasons, but primarily because the map did not feel as much like SR when we did it. We are in development on various things to accomplish the goal that rotating the map is trying to solve.

medulla00

01-22-2014

I shouldn't compare apples with oranges... but DOTA2 map has a way more powerful graphic engine, yet their only yellow-green-brown-grey color choices makes a wonderful map look dull, flat and uninteresting.
I hope SR will keep spanning in the whole colour spectrum. I like that the map, environment and accessories cover most of the colour palette.