Dear Mr. RiotForScience

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LucidFlux

01-15-2014

This is something I don't understand...

It seems that lately a lot of visual resources have been going into "advertising", what I mean is that we now have animated login screens for all sorts of thing and we even had a Jinx music video and a Udyr animated comic. I know it might be a different department that handles these things but couldn't some of those resources be directed into recoloring the map?

I mean animated login screens and videos are nice, but they don't add anything to the actual game.

Reppuken

01-15-2014

RiotForScience, why not have both? Spring can be Demacia, Summer can be Noxus or Bilgewater, Autumn can be Piltover (October can be Zaun), and Winter can be Freljord.

ElBoob

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

gnfnrf

01-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
Right now map skins are not on the Environment Team's radar. Personally I get much more excited about completely different thematic takes on a map rather than just a season shift. Like, for example, an SR that is set in Piltover than I would a winter. If you would prefer Autumn or Winter I would love to hear why. Like I said, skins are not currently on the radar, but when they are I would love to know what you would prefer. It is always possible that I like this idea better because it would be much more fun to build.
I don't think it's so much that people prefer a winter reskin to a complete thematic reskin, its that we know a winter reskin is possible, and want _something_.

What you seem to be saying here is "Seasonal reskins are boring, so we don't want to do them. Complete thematic reskins are better! But, we aren't planning on doing those either."

So people who want something to change up SR's look start small. Rather than wishing for something that we have no evidence Riot will ever do, we wish for something that we know Riot can and has done.

If the choice was between seasonal reskins sooner, or a thematic reskin a little less soon, that would be one thing. But that's not the choice you present. It's between seasonal reskins never, and thematic reskins never.

Silent Reaper

01-15-2014

Why not 5v5 magma chamber?

ZickZak

01-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
Right now map skins are not on the Environment Team's radar. Personally I get much more excited about completely different thematic takes on a map rather than just a season shift. Like, for example, an SR that is set in Piltover than I would a winter. If you would prefer Autumn or Winter I would love to hear why. Like I said, skins are not currently on the radar, but when they are I would love to know what you would prefer. It is always possible that I like this idea better because it would be much more fun to build.
I can't imagine Piltower SR. I neither like nor hate winter SR, but I remember it being annoying after a while and I preferred the summer. Then again I'd like to see "_something_" new once in a year.

ZickZak

01-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBoob View Post
Some of them would be fun to play lol. They look very nice.

Subalternate01

01-15-2014

We have been wanting this for a while! If you plan to roll this out you could roll it out as a lore event? Could you make the maps as something we can buy, achieve, and use in custom as well as all regular games?

If it is to tough to scale in all normal game types maybe have the captain with the higher MMR have ultimate call on the map?

More importantly how do we the community work in tandem with you to make this a reality?

Summoners Rift in the void... I'll see you in space!!!!!

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

01-15-2014
4 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppuken View Post
RiotForScience, why not have both? Spring can be Demacia, Summer can be Noxus or Bilgewater, Autumn can be Piltover (October can be Zaun), and Winter can be Freljord.

I think this is a great idea! It would satisfy both needs at the same time. I think springtime in Zaun would be hilarious .... Mundo skips where he pleases. With a little Easter basket that he throws at people. But I digress.

Skins are great I love the creative potential that they have as well as the richness that they can add to our lore and world. However, when you build a skin, whether it is for a map or for a champion you need to build upon a solid foundation. It is inefficient to create skins for a champ that is in dire need of a visual update. Obviously, the environment team's foremost priority is to ensure that all of our content is at the level of quality that we established in Twisted Treeline and Howling Abyss. But at any point gathering ideas for future development is helpful. Thanks so much for sharing this one!

Crimmatic

01-15-2014

I would actually love to have the SR maps correspond with the area that is being focused on within the current lore. For example, SR could have had the Freljord skin when the big Freljord event was happening.

In any case, I'd love to see any Runeterra location skin for SR (a Shadow Isles theme would be especially awesome).

P.S. Omg, SR in the Void would also be awesome. I want to play Astronaut Teemo in space..:P