Is there any point in playing Diana anymore?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Super Explosion

01-14-2014

Perhaps they'll make Diana a bit less 'binary', and maybe allow her to use Lunar Rush more often.

Neo Cyrus

01-14-2014

Who on the balance team get to make the calls regarding this anyway?

Diamandis

01-15-2014

no diana buffs even tho shes in the ****ter K riot

Morello

Lead Designer

01-15-2014
20 of 21 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamandis View Post
It seems one of Riot's best champions has been left in the dust. Overnerfed to all hell and she can't even burst someone to half health at level 6 anymore. It's so sad, she's one of the coolest champions. I don't even see her anymore and when I do she fails miserably because ranged champions do what she does better and bring more utility.

Currently there is not one thing Diana does that another champion cannot do better. If you want an ap initiator, Orianna, Kennen, Gragas, Fiddle and a ton of other champs will gladly do that better. Want an AP assassin do dive the backline and kill squishes? Ahri and Fizz at your service. Rumble even outshines her as an AP melee that brings massive damage and disruption. Her laning phase is beyond awful since the nerfs, she gets poked early by ranged, pushes the lane with her W and Q if she wants to do anything, and has no escape for ganks... and can't even duel most people anymore until she gets 1 big item.

Either make Diana more assassin based by making her squisher but ramping up the damage, or make her a fighter champion with higher bases on her passive/shield and a bigger range on her moonfall.

Right now her numbers in her kit and the change on her W left her in an awkward spot. And no folks, she cannot initiate unless you count ulting in, having your ult on CD for the rest of the fight and being a sitting immobile duck that's gonna get kited and die being an initiator.

nerfs:

Moonsilver Blade
Damage reduced to 20/25/30/35/40/50/60/70/80/90/105/120/135/155/175/200/225/250 (+0.6 ability power) from 20/25/30/40/50/65/80/95/110/125/140/155/175/195/215/240/265/290 (+0.6 ability power).

Range of the cleave behind Diana reduced.

Crescent Strike
Damage reduced to 70/110/150/190/230 from 80/125/170/215/260.
Base damage reduced to 60/95/130/165/200 from 70/110/150/190/230.
Ability power ratio reduced to 0.7 from 0.8.

Pale Cascade
Damage per orb reduced to 20/34/48/62/76 from 20/36/52/68/84.
Total damage changed to 66/102/138/174/210 from 60/105/150/195/240.
Shield reduced to 40/55/70/85/100 (+0.3 ability power) from 55/80/105/130/155 (+0.45 ability power).
The second application of the shield now stacks with the first shield instead of replacing it.

Moonfall
Maximum pull distance reduced.

Lunar Rush
Cooldown increased to 25/20/15 seconds from 20/16/12.
Cast range reduced to 825 from 900.

Stats
Base health regen reduced to 7 from 10.

Proposal: Increase Q's base damage. It's a healthy way to buff her while having counterplay because Q is a skillshot. I can understand why they nerfed W because it's almost always going to get proc'd and has no counterplay, and R is a targetted gapcloser so buffing it wouldn't be good.

Buff Moonfall's size and slow per rank. The slow could go like this: 40%/45%/50%/55%/60%. And the AoE radius can go like this: 200/275/350/425/500

edit: changed proposal.
I tend to agree with the statement "Q is a skillshot, and therefore you can lean on that for a lot of the healthy gameplay interactions in lane." To me, though, it needs to be slowed down a fair amount to actually function that way - right now, it's a "skill shot," not a skillshot

Diana has a few other issues overall, but if you make Q less reliable, you can make her decent again.

I'd also like to stop having her be an assassin OR stop having her have durability. These together is silly, and she should choose one (I tend to favor durability for thematic reasons alone).

The Fizznity

01-15-2014

I just want to point out that the AoE on the end is roughly Brand's Pillar size (on top of having the big crescent). If it wasn't that big I'd be a lot more okay with it, and would rather see it lose that AoE than just be slower.

lojician

01-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I tend to agree with the statement "Q is a skillshot, and therefore you can lean on that for a lot of the healthy gameplay interactions in lane." To me, though, it needs to be slowed down a fair amount to actually function that way - right now, it's a "skill shot," not a skillshot

Diana has a few other issues overall, but if you make Q less reliable, you can make her decent again.

I'd also like to stop having her be an assassin OR stop having her have durability. These together is silly, and she should choose one (I tend to favor durability for thematic reasons alone).
It seems like pushing her to be more of a durable bruiser might also differentiate her gameplay pattern from akali. And does things like make her passive and shield actually make sense.

Morello

Lead Designer

01-15-2014
21 of 21 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lojician View Post
It seems like pushing her to be more of a durable bruiser might also differentiate her gameplay pattern from akali. And does things like make her passive and shield actually make sense.
That was the intent, but somehow (I'm actually trying to remember!) Diana ended up as an assassin mid. I honestly can't recall what happened to get us there.

I know the VFX on the Q are technically really fragile though, so changing the speed has been difficult for us - I'll reopen the discussion.

Rubidium

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2014

reserved

Auryiel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2014

I just want to ask you : don't you think both making her Q less reliable and toning down her damage in favor of her tankyness is a slippery slope?

If her Q is unreliable, she becomes easier to kite. Thus, to make her good, she needs to be overwhelming in melee range. Otherwise there will be no reason to pick her. What we end up with is just another bruiser who completely sh*ts on mages if she closes the gap and who can freely ignore harass while she fishes for a Q. Am I completely wrong here? Even when Diana was strong I wasn't TOO afraid of her as a mage because I knew I could outplay her. Keep harassing, stay near my tower to make her think twice about ulting me under tower because I have CC. In team fights I could always rely on my CC to make her a prime target for my team mates. That's 3 ways to handle her if she is SOMEWHAT fragile. If she gets less damage but more tankyness she'll just dive

lojician

01-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
That was the intent, but somehow (I'm actually trying to remember!) Diana ended up as an assassin mid. I honestly can't recall what happened to get us there.

I know the VFX on the Q are technically really fragile though, so changing the speed has been difficult for us - I'll reopen the discussion.
Itemization maybe? Even the ap items with defenses like hourglass and abyssal are primarily offensive.