Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Coldmanj

12-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
This would be pretty cool, and a great way to tie in a greater ever-evolving lore concept. Like this year Noxus tried to invade Bandle City, Join with the invaders or the defenders in the conflict. The next year another conflict could break out elsewhere in a perpetually changing map of Runeterra. It could be really fun. We did something like that with the Howling-Abyss event, This would just be a perpetual tie in on a much larger scale. The idea definitely has a lot of potential, thanks for suggesting it.
this idea is brilliant. I have been wanting some change up regarding the rift as the way it looks has become stale in all honesty.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

12-18-2013
41 of 92 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by exec3 View Post
You could go one step further and perhaps add in joke activities, like 1 in 100 games you'll walk into the ghosts playing poker or something lol.

I really like the core concept behind this idea. If every 100,000 games Baron burped up a teemo hat... or if there was a secret critter that would run around outside of the playable space but only once in a thousand games. I think it would add a lot of value to the game, in a pretty hilarious way.

MephyRunsAllDay

12-18-2013

Quote:
I really like the core concept behind this idea. If every 100,000 games Baron burped up a teemo hat... or if there was a secret critter that would run around outside of the playable space but only once in a thousand games. I think it would add a lot of value to the game, in a pretty hilarious way.
We already have the "Welcome to the Murderbridge!" alternative announcement on the Howling Abyss, it could be implemented in other game modes, I suppose? It'd be nice.

Labcown

12-18-2013

Quote:
Or see a Poro every 1,000,000 games run from the edge of your vision into the forest, making you question why a poro is in SR and if you ever really saw it!

exec3

12-18-2013

Quote:
Inb4 when you zoom in on said critter he looks up at you and is like 'wtf you looking at?'. XD

What about special champion interactions with monsters? I can't think of any (so maybe it's a bad or too costly an idea) but you gave the example of Baron burping up Teemo's hat, what if that happened only after Baron kills a Teemo? I'td be an interesting way for the enemy team to go up to Baron only for him to burp up the Teemo hat (or Leona shield, Tynd sword, Syndra sphere etc) indicating that the enemy team tried and failed a Baron (let's ignore for a second that everyone gets a notification about executes even if it happens in fog of war >_> probably should be changed tbh). Problem is that this might be too rare an occurrence, I can't remember the last time someone was executed by Baron.

Also in general map secrets like the old Urf summon in the Halloween SR skin would be cool.

RiotForScience

01-08-2014
42 of 92 Riot Posts

I miss Urf too. I think I would prefer to keep Poro in Howling Abyss. I think he would overheat in SR. That would be cruelty to Poros..... Maybe a shaved Poro.

LaxIsBack

01-08-2014

urf needs to have a cameo or something in summoners rift, like the one on hallowin where his spirit would apear.

RiotForScience

01-14-2014
43 of 92 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by exec3 View Post
That's a fair direction given all the camps are already monsters except Red Buff. I'd be curious how you go about monsterfying the Lizards while ensuring they don't just become literal lizards (that would be a boring enemy to fight! D: ).

I still think some creep camps could have various 'daily activities' that you see when you come into view (and can watch if you sit a decent distance away). For example in the wolf camp, the big wolf could be the father of the two smaller cub wolves and when you see them the two smaller wolves could be playing together as happy siblings or something. It'd help give the camps a reason for being there as it's their home rather than just a random place they're sitting at and waiting to be slaughtered.
This ends up being a trickier problem to solve than it sounds on paper because people are really used to fixed locations for the creeps in order to land skill-shots (Especially the wraiths). But it is mostly just a question of how much do we want them to move, how much interaction do they have when they play? What kind of character defining interactions would you like to see in the creeps or in their camps?

ShadowGlaive213

01-14-2014

I wish the Wight camp looked more like a camp =/ All the other camps have a little brewing pot or fire and an actual indent, and someone to keep each other company. The Wight is all alone and just has some rocks along a treeline, poor thing, that can't be cozy at all =[

vasheenomed

01-15-2014

considering spells are made to be seeable on summoners rift the best, I almost feel like you can't move far away from the summoner's rift color palette if you want to make a competitive map.... I'm assuming that would be correct?

I've always felt like normal games would be a good non competitive place for skins or even map reworks. imagining a new normal queue that takes summoners rift and gives it skins or even small edits to the map to make the skins look a lot better.... or to take it to an extreme, allowing the summoner's rift gamestyle in many different set up 3 lane maps. It wouldn't destroy the competitive game, but for those that get bored of regular summoners rift it would be a great alternate experience that would let the environment team show there creativity.

overall my point is that normal games would be a great outlet for skins compared to ranked imo, and that implementing either a seperate queue or just normal only skins/alternate edited sr maps might be a cool direction to go