Dear Mr. RiotForScience

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ZenCat

01-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
Right now map skins are not on the Environment Team's radar. Personally I get much more excited about completely different thematic takes on a map rather than just a season shift. Like, for example, an SR that is set in Piltover than I would a winter. If you would prefer Autumn or Winter I would love to hear why. Like I said, skins are not currently on the radar, but when they are I would love to know what you would prefer. It is always possible that I like this idea better because it would be much more fun to build.
Why we want Winter/Autum themes:

-they once existed and for some of us they were an important part of Summoner Rift (before you made that small SR graphic update and decided it's too much work to update those skins as well, cos y'know, it's not like it's the most played map in LoL)
-they are (and were) easily adapted into seasonal maps - add a few Xmas decorations and presents on Winter map, a few pumpkins on the Autumn map and ta-daa = seasonal map (a desert/tropical/beach themed map for summer would also be nice)
-these are tested themes, that are easily recognizable to humans and feel familiar, therefore are more enjoyable

Now,I understand that from a designer standpoint to you it might be more interesting to work on a Piltover theme. But it's simply a bad idea.
It might end up looking great.
It might end up looking bad to a large potion of your playerbase. (taste = subjetive... it's harder to find an art style that is enjoyable for a mass audience, especially one that is already so specific and defined as Piltover style is)
It might end up looking great, but feel horrible to play on for prolonged periods of time.

Nature and seasons are timeless themes that always work even if they're not super-complex. They always feel good. You tested this already, you know it works and you know people were happy with it.

If you wanna play with Piltover theme or similar ideas and creatively challenge yourself, sure. Do it after you do Winter/Autumn map and offer Piltover theme for RP in the shop. If someone likes it, they can buy it (I prersonally love Piltover, but would absolutely hate it as a SR theme and never ever want to play on a Piltover SR map)

---------------------------------------

Also, Hereís why it should be a priority for your art team (even tho' it's unfortunately clear you see it as a maybe-possible-side-project-one-day-perhaps kind of thing which makes me pretty angry)

1. Player Numbers - everyone will get to experience it, not just select few!
2. It counters monotony - It makes playing the same map visually less boring after your 400th game. Sure, itís still the same game, but it does bring visual diversity and surprisingly freshens up the whole experience a whole lot. Even the fact that it was random (so you never knew what map skin you'd get) was great and contributed to the experience. All that equals to people playing more. I play a lot of SR since that is the mode I prefer the most. I'd play it even more of it if I didn't stare at the same map all the time.
3. Show us your holiday spirit - Because aside 3-4 themed skins, you havenít created any seasonal content in quite a while (One for All and Snowdown modes are exactly that - "modes". Same map with a few rules/lines of code changed)

I am really doing my best to keep my emotions in check, but I am extremely annoyed that we had themes for your most played map a few years ago when you were a much smaller starting company - but now, a few years later when your playerbase grew a few thousand percent - it suddenly can't be done because "it's would take too much resources" and you have other "priorities" at the moment. Skins, I suppose...

Thank you for your time.

Prismatic

01-14-2014

I feel that whenever seasonal maps do appear, it really improves the feel of the match. Having one map skin makes it feel very bare-bones as compared to the other maps, which all have special effects, textures, and animations incorporated into them. If SR seasonal skins were implemented, I think it would add its own flavour to the game; the other maps feel very personalized and have a lot of feel put into them as opposed to variation. I think adding SR skins would give SR the unique feel that the other map modes possess.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

01-14-2014
3 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenCat View Post
Why we want Winter/Autum themes:
Also, Hereís why it should be a priority for your art team (even tho' it's unfortunately clear you see it as a maybe-possible-side-project-one-day-perhaps kind of thing which makes me pretty angry)
I am sorry you are upset about this. Please don't mistake my ambiguity on this subject for apathy. I have to stay pretty vague about everything because nothing I am working on is ready for disclosure. But I do care very deeply about ensuring that SR stays vital and interesting. I have felt that a new cultural take on the map would provide more value than just a seasonal shift; but I also know that people are really attached to the seasonal skins. I brought up the subject of the Piltover skin as a hypothetical example so that someone would provide the reasons for why a seasonal skin is preferable. Thank you for doing so.

archangelfighter

01-14-2014

Quote:
I am sorry you are upset about this. Please don't mistake my ambiguity on this subject for apathy. I have to stay pretty vague about everything because nothing I am working on is ready for disclosure. But I do care very deeply about ensuring that SR stays vital and interesting. I have felt that a new cultural take on the map would provide more value than just a seasonal shift; but I also know that people are really attached to the seasonal skins. I brought up the subject of the Piltover skin as a hypothetical example so that someone would provide the reasons for why a seasonal skin is preferable. Thank you for doing so.
You's a pretty cool guy, Science. Thanks for at least letting us know that SR is even being looked at for touches.

theplague1369

01-14-2014

I would like to see a wintery Summoner's Rift. I've never saw it since I started playing the game except for old videos on YouTube, and I really feel like I missed out on something cool that was done at the time but Riot doesn't want to do anymore. I always like cold environment maps when I get a chance to mess with that kind of thing myself and choose.

It would be really nice to see around Snowdown. I feel like stuff like that helps lend an atmosphere to the event itself, instead of just releasing a few skins and a new loading screen. Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of the holiday stuff I see, but it is like 80 degree weather on Christmas day, it just doesn't feel right to me.

exec3

01-14-2014

My main issue with the Piltover skin idea (and I probably said something similar in the other thread) is that it would be best served as its own map/game mode. It'd be a waste to make a Piltover SR skin and thus wipe Piltover off the list for any future map locations. Also think of the resources and time required to make the skin, resources that could be put elsewhere for more gain. You could also make the argument that a Piltover version of SR would be confusing given how very different it would look to the base skin.

In the end I (and I think others) don't want a completely new aesthetic for SR in an alternate skin, we want the same old map with a twist, which is what the old Winter and Harrowing skins gave us, SR but with a twist. It helps break the monotony of the same map over and over and over again without making it a completely new and different thing.

Also offtopic but speaking of Magma Chamber and its cancellation, any chance we can see any progress shots of the map or concept art? I'd be interested to see how it had evolved since we last saw it. (also Magma Chamber is cursed, keeps getting cancelled >_> )

BeachSamurai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-14-2014

Quote:
Right now map skins are not on the Environment Team's radar. Personally I get much more excited about completely different thematic takes on a map rather than just a season shift. Like, for example, an SR that is set in Piltover than I would a winter. If you would prefer Autumn or Winter I would love to hear why. Like I said, skins are not currently on the radar, but when they are I would love to know what you would prefer. It is always possible that I like this idea better because it would be much more fun to build.
winter u get snow....in autumn theres nothing....
the idea of having different maps skins to play on is very interesting ....could you also take into consideration of applying different mechanics on different maps ( set this as beta). this would increase interest in plays, increase in motivation to play your game and make LoL rich.

Quote:
He is right about the different seasons theme of maps used..minus the sarcasm he used. However I feel a piltover map would be great.

Jens DV

01-15-2014

Dear RiotForScience, could you please take a look at this? I need your assistance.

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=4188761

You know, for science.

IronMaidenDlanor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2014

I love the winter and autumn maps, but I have to say I would prefer something like the Piltover-themed Summoner's Rift much more. Not only would it be usable in any season, but it would also actually make use of the lore. We used to have that map of Valoran showing all the different regions the fighting could take place, but in the end very few of them have actually been used. There is just so much potential in the League of Legends world and we've only tasted a small fraction of it. Plus the seasonal map thing is already taken care of anyway, so there's no real need to expend resources on that.

Really, I'd just like SOMETHING for that map after multiple years without anything truly new and different, appearance-wise. It may seem unimportant, but more variety would make the game so much more interesting.

DaejinTye

01-15-2014

Jus' add the Autumn and winter skins you've already made and used in the past (Unless they are different because of the jungle/trees) and put them in a pool that randomly picks a map. 33% chance for either of the 3.

Doesn't need to be seasoned based, but it helps add flavor to the game.