Dear Mr. RiotForScience

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Screamin Banshee

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-14-2014

@Riotforscience

As we all know the last two years the environment team as been putting a lot of resources into the developpemnet of new awesome maps. Some, have had success TTC and howling abyss; and others not so much, dominion and the recently scrapped magma chamber. I have loved experiencing all these new maps and modes released but one thing has remained constant for me and a lot of the community. We all still play, for the most part, the majority of our games on summoners rift. Unfortunately SR is just not aesthetically up to par with the quality of the newer maps (TT and HA),Summoners rift has had some resolution and particle updates but no major overhaul that it truly needs or deserves.

So here is my proposition. Now that, I assume, you have some extra available man power with the cancellation of magma chamber pour all of the environment departments resources into creating a new truly awesome base skin for summoners rift. The base skin would of course have to retain the essence of the current rift, but im picturing a huge resolution, particle and texture overhaul. But the main key to this overhaul would have to be that the map is malleable unlike the current map you have. Colors would need to be easy to change. Particles and textures added and removed with ease. That way every event, season or whatever else you geniuses think up, we can all experience through variations on the rift.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this riotforscience

Thanks
Screamin Banshee

vakruz

01-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
Right now map skins are not on the Environment Team's radar. Personally I get much more excited about completely different thematic takes on a map rather than just a season shift. Like, for example, an SR that is set in Piltover than I would a winter. If you would prefer Autumn or Winter I would love to hear why. Like I said, skins are not currently on the radar, but when they are I would love to know what you would prefer. It is always possible that I like this idea better because it would be much more fun to build.
Because we all know that will never happen

Noxe Out

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-14-2014

In my opinion you guys should have festive maps year round. Kind of like with WoW's festivities. Winter/Halloween also you could do themes a certain time a year with Piltover/Ionia etc. For LCS you could leave it on normal SR for competitive purposes.

OctaSteve

01-14-2014

More poros.

Shockblade Zed

01-14-2014

Quote:
Right now map skins are not on the Environment Team's radar. Personally I get much more excited about completely different thematic takes on a map rather than just a season shift. Like, for example, an SR that is set in Piltover than I would a winter. If you would prefer Autumn or Winter I would love to hear why. Like I said, skins are not currently on the radar, but when they are I would love to know what you would prefer. It is always possible that I like this idea better because it would be much more fun to build.
Nostalgia. I do like the idea of a Piltover map. Do proceed.

Crai Crushna

01-14-2014

Quote:
How about make them for 1850 RP or so? Like ward skins. You check it off in the Map tab in the store.

Vongeo

01-14-2014

Quote:
What does the enivorment team do if its not making skins. Map skins are probably one of the most asked for thing. Also, What else do you work on if not how the environment works? Like if you aren't looking at how the environment looks, what are you looking at?

uberdungeon

01-14-2014

Poros, poros everywhere

But really let's try and mix it up a little, the bush changes are great for the game but could we see some sort of improvement to the Rift overall? A few easter eggs here a change in theme there, it's the little things that hold us over till you guys really WOW us.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

01-14-2014
2 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamin Banshee View Post
@Riotforscience

As we all know the last two years the environment team as been putting a lot of resources into the developpemnet of new awesome maps. Some, have had success TTC and howling abyss; and others not so much, dominion and the recently scrapped magma chamber. I have loved experiencing all these new maps and modes released but one thing has remained constant for me and a lot of the community. We all still play, for the most part, the majority of our games on summoners rift. Unfortunately SR is just not aesthetically up to par with the quality of the newer maps (TT and HA),Summoners rift has had some resolution and particle updates but no major overhaul that it truly needs or deserves.

So here is my proposition. Now that, I assume, you have some extra available man power with the cancellation of magma chamber pour all of the environment departments resources into creating a new truly awesome base skin for summoners rift. The base skin would of course have to retain the essence of the current rift, but im picturing a huge resolution, particle and texture overhaul. But the main key to this overhaul would have to be that the map is malleable unlike the current map you have. Colors would need to be easy to change. Particles and textures added and removed with ease. That way every event, season or whatever else you geniuses think up, we can all experience through variations on the rift.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this riotforscience

Thanks
Screamin Banshee
This is a really good idea and I definitely agree with you about importance of a really high fidelity SR. In fact I very regularly maintain a thread on the Art and Audio Feedback forum just dedicated to gathering feedback and ideas on how to improve SR. It is located here.

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=3717689

I would absolutely love to hear any ideas about how we could improve SRs base skin or any potential future skins.

Beastmodeterror

01-14-2014

seasonal maps are cool because its little things like that that make the game feel more lively