On MMR Boosting and the 2014 Season

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Twist741

01-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by o Jack Noir View Post
The Leagues system has been carefully tuned so that players are placed in a proper tier with others at a similar skill level.

The Leagues system has been carefully tuned so that players are placed in a proper tier with others at a similar skill level.

Are you sure about that? Are you REALLY sure about that?
Let me share a little history of me and my friends smurfing. I know a semi pro Challenger adc who won 9 out of 10 of his placement games in his smurf. He was placed in bronze 1.

I know a diamond 1 jungle main who won 8/10 of his placement games. He was placed in silver 5.
When I started S3 for ranked I won 8/10 of my placement games. I was placed into silver 5.
My friend won 4/10 of his games. No joke. 4 out of 10. He got silver 3. Hes been demoted to silver 5 and stayed there ever.
Can you explain to me how this happens with such a finely tuned, well oiled machine that is the LOL ranking system?
Because they're placement matches, and only 10 of them. Where did each of your friends end up after 100 ranked games? I imagine your D1 friend ended up near D1, etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o Jack Noir View Post
Oh ok, so the system cant handle placement games. Boy that sure is consistent with what they tell us when they post things about the system. So then can someone explain how a silver 4 player can show up in my ranked games? Hes not duoing with anyone. His match history shows hes not a smurf "something along the lines of 200 ranked played....lot of losses". So how does he get here? Sometimes I get paired with STUPIDLY high elo. No joke! Im not diamond material yet. Im not at tha skill level. So its a little inconvenient when everyone on the other team is diamond 4-5 vs my team of plat 5-2. How does this happen with this system thats again: "carefully tuned" to put players in the proper games.

EDIT: Oh and this isint a "one time thing" either. It happens more than it should. Im not saying OMG ITS EVERY OTHER GAME. But it happens enough for me to count it when it does. Above all, it SHOULD NOT happen to begin with is what im getting at.
That's actually likely to be product of what this very post is talking about - boosting. You're likely see a lot of Diamond 5s that don't belong in Diamond but can't be demoted (until S4 officially starts). Also, on the bright side, your MMR is probably slightly higher than where you are ranked.

Not Commando Yi

01-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by WookieeCookie View Post
Not sure what you're getting at? It doesn't look like that account has been played in over two months. Coincidence?
there were rioters on the forums banning forum users and deleting any and all posts about a well known elo boost by one xj9 (it was streamed and practically most of the community knows about it) for the owner of that account

please don't give us these lies that you guys care about elo boosting when riot protects people that have been elo boosted so long as they have the right connections

the idea that riot cares about elo boosting is laughable

Banuvan

01-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist741 View Post
Because they're placement matches, and only 10 of them. Where did each of your friends end up after 100 ranked games? I imagine your D1 friend ended up near D1, etc etc.

This has actually been an issue since ranked play came out. If the system is going to take hundreds of games to figure out where you belong then why have placement matches? Why not just start everybody at a set floor ( say 1200 ) and have them work their way up. Get rid of placement matches all together.

Wrath of Kon

01-14-2014

I have 0 belief in this. Me and friends reported a booster from last fall.... His.account never had any punishment and now he has an onsite interview with riot for game design...... So GD do you really buy what these reds are saying because a reported booster isn't being punished but instead hired...

Dotislav Pro

01-14-2014

I know some players that got boosted 100%, but after my constant reports nothing really happens, i am disappointed how support team works.

guiltui

01-14-2014

How does Riot detect elo boosting?

Banuvan

01-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath of Kon View Post
I have 0 belief in this. Me and friends reported a booster from last fall.... His.account never had any punishment and now he has an onsite interview with riot for game design...... So GD do you really buy what these reds are saying because a reported booster isn't being punished but instead hired...

I'd believe Riot if they started answering questions. I've been asking the same questions for years and they refuse to answer them.

DaejinTye

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-14-2014

I'm curious as to how to tell if boosting has occured, unless it's something obvious. (I.E, bronze 1 after 500+ games, and suddenly earns platinum in the next 100.)

I mean, some players are decently skilled in the lower ELO's, but jus' get unlucky and lose games because their teams either have D/C's are just plain get steam rolled. I went 4-24 because I can't solo-carry as well as Diamond players, but right after that, I went a strong winning streak that put me into gold almost immediately. After that, 1 win = 28LP. If I had won another 5-6 games, I'd have been in Gold 3 in 3 days after spending the entirety of S3 in Silver 1.

Also, I do NOT support a report option for boosting... People can make support tickets if they want to try and call someone out. I've heard players call people on my team (Including my self) a "booster" jus' because of a good early game that snowballed into a strong win.

MalusOdius

01-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Rhojin View Post
Not for just joining the team. The only time you would be punished would be if you had a teammate or third party play in your team games for you.
what exactly is your definition of 3rd party, I'm in a guild that ranges in players from bronze all the way to challenger, and say I have a gold team with 5 gold members and then a few of my guildmates join the team for a few weeks and play games with me to get the team to say plat or diamond? and then they leave the team. Is that what your saying is boosting? Because I don't see any difference between that and duoq.

Or are you specifically saying if a 3rd party plays on Your account during team games?

Wrath of Kon

01-14-2014

The response I got from riot was that I did not have any physical evidence that the player boosted... So pretty much no one will get caught unless you somehow provide physical evidence, which is near impossible with a computer game...