@ Morello - A plat 1 Soraka player wants to speak.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morello

Lead Designer

01-14-2014
1 of 15 Riot Posts

Soraka is weak right now, and much of that is because Soraka has one job, heal others.

I think I'll respond with a link to my dev blog (still rough) where I talk about the concept of dedicated healers in PvP games;

http://www.morellonomicon.com/

Pangrine

01-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Soraka is weak right now, and much of that is because Soraka has one job, heal others.

I think I'll respond with a link to my dev blog (still rough) where I talk about the concept of dedicated healers in PvP games;

That entire posts reads like you wanted to the conclusion to be that dedicated healers are evil and started from there. Rather than looking at the entire concept of combat as a whole. It gives off this vibe that everything would be perfectly balanced if it wasn't for those pesky, annoying people who enjoy playing healers.

Hellioning

01-14-2014

Quote:

Okay. But the OP specifically gave ideas as to how to change Soraka so that he isn't so binary and a dedicated healer, and you didn't respond to that. Also, you bring up Nidalee as an example of a 'good healer'. That's definitely true, because at around 25 AP, Nid's single target healing is better then Soraka's, even with her fancy new passive.

I don't necessarily agree with your premise, but I accept that you basically set the tone for the rest of the design team to follow. In that case, I guess the best thing to ask is 'SORAKA REWORK WHERe'

Postal Badger

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangrine View Post
That entire posts reads like you wanted to the conclusion to be that dedicated healers are evil and started from there. Rather than looking at the entire concept of combat as a whole. It gives off this vibe that everything would be perfectly balanced if it wasn't for those pesky, annoying people who enjoy playing healers.
This, very much.

Sadly, that has been Morello's (I'll say team, but he's the one who's more "vocal" about it) stance about healing, and the sorts, sadly, they are sort of fine that Soraka is weak, because she heals, and she will continue to be unless they change everything of her kit, aka, stop being Soraka.

Somethingpassivegameplaysomething

TheUltimate3

01-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangrine View Post
Think he's been trying to say that for a while now.

The standard dance has always been "If Soraka is good, every other healer will be bad. If Soraka is bad, we hate Soraka and we suck. The only way Soraka can not be bad is to move her away from dedicated healer, but that pisses off the dedicated healer players."

So it's pretty much the exact same thing he's always been saying.

Siachi

01-14-2014

I read through the whole thing, and I like some of the ideas you mentioned.

Making Starcall deal damage ONLY to enemy chamions on the first cast is probably a step in the right direction: I have some issues with how this skill pushes a lane, and can take some potentially CS away from your lane partner if you try to use it offensively to reduce Astral Blessing's cooldown.(Also, if I'm reading this right, is it a situation where "Cast once to do X, then cast again for Y"

I also like the idea of giving Astral Blessing a more 'clutch damage prevention' approach rather than "Wait for your partner's health to go down to fill it up."

I don't want to try to detract too much for your thread, but myself and a friend had been discussing a way to change Soraka's kit, to make her less passive, and hopefully less of an issue for enemies if she gets 'too good'. Now, as it stands, I am unranked and he doesn't play Ranked games often enough to, but I was wondering if, as a Soraka Main, I could get your opinion on this suggested proposal we were working on:

1). Turn Starcall into a Grount Targeted AoE.
As mentioned above, I don't like how this skill pushes a lane so easily, and feel that changing it this way would at least provide SOME control on how to use it (No numbers for how big it should be, because I'm not good with numbers).

2). Successive hits on an enemy with Starcall will give Soraka "Fallen Star" Stacks, up to a cap, that improves Astral Blessing's healing.
By Default, Astral Blessing would have a very weak heal, but would consume these "Fallen Star" stacks for a much more potent healing.

The idea was to require and ALLOW Soraka to be more agressive in order to be more effective, instead of sitting by idly until her partner is ready for a heal.

There were some other points mentioned, but those changes were the main focus. If you don't mind me promoting a thread, this is the link to the proposal as it is: http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=4189782

The Soraka

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-14-2014

Quote:

Morello, why don't you try playing Soraka in ranked for a significant amount of time before you open your mouth.
You are talking from a base with no experience.
Soraka being a "dedicated" healer doesn't mean anything when the enemy lane is Annie/Leona/Thresh, AND WILL KILL ONE OR BOTH OF YOU at level 2 because they carry ignite.

Soraka doesn't promote passive play, the hyper aggressive lane combos that punish one single mistep (i.e. steping out of your tower range) with instant guaranteed death promote passive play. Soraka ALLOWS passive play to exist against annoying pokers like Caitlyn, Jinx, Lucian and Varus, who don't fight you and just poke you down little by little until you're too low to run away or fight back.

I'd like to see you actually win some REAL games with Soraka before you talk about how her design is toxic.

And I bet you won't be able to win any, because you don't understand this game at all, much less how to win with someone like Soraka. And no duo queuing you booster.

Pangrine

01-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimate3 View Post
Think he's been trying to say that for a while now.

The standard dance has always been "If Soraka is good, every other healer will be bad. If Soraka is bad, we hate Soraka and we suck. The only way Soraka can not be bad is to move her away from dedicated healer, but that pisses off the dedicated healer players."

So it's pretty much the exact same thing he's always been saying.
Except we both know it's not true in the slightest. Healers are just a scapegoat for him. Look at the messes that are constantly in the other lanes, top especially. They've known fighters/bruisers/etc have been a problem since Season 1 and still haven't been able to fix it.

So excuse me if I'm skeptical of the idea that if we removed all traces of healers from the game, the leet-deeps-gotta get my kda up-funland of bot lane would suddenly be a shangri-la of balance.

Diamonesd

01-14-2014

Quote:

LoL. Please resign from ever developing a MMO

Vecuu

01-14-2014

Quote:

Write more stuff.