[Game Mode][Idea] Conquest!

First Riot Post
12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Slovakattack

11-17-2013

Hi all! I posted a more stripped-down version of this idea in a thread started by RiotForScience, but the thread itself doesn't seem to be getting much attention, so I thought i'd repost this idea here based on the positive feedback I got.

~What is Conquest Mode?~

Conquest is a 5v5 game mode that seeks to marry the exciting combat of the Fields of Justice more tightly with the lore behind it, creating a fun, clan-based noncompetitive mode for those among us who love the lore behind the game. Players interested in this game mode are ones who enjoy living out the 'endgame fantasy' of their characters in an intensive, lore-based map with fun, immediately satisfying combat. Clan-wars based on factions could be simulated with battle data (such as total faction wins/losses, kills, etc.) that could create a stronger connection between the players and the factions of their choice.

~Who will YOU fight for?~

Will you fight for the honor of Demacia? For the strength of Noxus? Do you fight to protect your homeland, as the Ionians do, or to unite the warring Frelijordi clans under one banner?

In Conquest mode, players get to choose from a variety of factions, such as: Demacia, Noxus, Bandle City, Piltover, Zaun, The Void, Shurima, Frelijord, Kummugu, The Shadow Isles and more.

Essentially a variation on 'Themed Battle Nights', players who ascribe to a faction get to choose from that faction's 'Champion pool', a list of champions that unite under the faction's banner. Players are matched with other players from the same faction, and are pitted against players of another faction, for rewards, honor and glory!

~Unique Faction Abilities further enhance game-play~

Once the players of a faction have selected their champions and roles, the players vote on one of three unique 'Faction Passives' that can be used to further bolster your team composition's play-style.

Examples:

(Noxian Abilities)

"Blood for Noxus!": Upon killing an enemy champion, all friendly champions in the immediate area gain 10% movement speed for two seconds.

"Diplomacy is for the Weak": Basic attacks and abilities deal +5/+30 damage to shields, scales with level.

(The Shadow Isles Abilities)

"Death is but an Inconvenience...": The Shadow Isles team's re spawn timers are reduced by 1 second, maxing at 10 seconds at level 18.

"Fear is for the weak... and the Living...": All slows, fears, taunts and stuns against the Shadow Isles members are reduced by 5%. Stacks with tenacity.

(Will update list upon request)

Abilities like these will help flesh out a roster, and lend some lore-inspired customization to team builds. They will also be used as balancing tools, as certain factions are naturally geared towards specific strategies.

~But what about the Odd Ones Out?~

Unfortunately, there are some factions that simply do not have enough champions to be competitive in this game mode. (Bilgewater, for example, contains only Gangplank and Miss Fortune.)

'Trans-Dimensional beings' such as Taric, Morgana and Kayle can be lumped into their own faction for the purposes of this mode, however that does not solve the over-arching issue of the factions that cannot be reliably viable. (Few though they are.)

A possible solution would be to do what the Emperor: Battle for Dune RTS did, which involved having 'Main Factions' that could enlist the help of smaller, 'Fringe Factions' in combat as hired mercenaries. As of now, this remains the only difficult conceptual issue to get around regarding this mode. If you have any ideas for this or other aspects of the mode, feel free to post them. =)

~The Game Mode Itself~

This mode will be a robust hybrid of Summoner's Rift and the Howling Abyss, in terms of strategy and execution. It will retain the same basic premise: Push the enemy towers to the inhibitor, farm gold, kill champions, etc. but will also feature a:

• Faster, more immediately satisfying games
  • Level 3 start and enhanced gold start, a 'la ARAM
  • New lore intensive, striking battlefield.
  • Host of new map interactions, including a new announcer and npcs to minimally interact with. (think the 'urf ghost' of harrowing past)

The sequence of events to start a match will be as follows:

Stage 1: Players are matched with those of the same faction and enter the lobby.

Stage 2: Characters are chosen in accordance with draft rules. There are no bans, to prevent the crippling of a smaller faction's champion pool.

Stage 3: Players vote on which 'team passive' they wish to use for the match.

Stage 4: Players enter the Fields of Justice!

This could be easily combined with the current iteration of team builder for a relatively painless and fun experience.

~The Rewards~

Banners and Icons for your dedication to your chosen faction are just some of the possible incentives to play this mode, get out there, and have lore-oriented fun!

~What do You Think?~

Love it? Hate it? Do you have suggestions for a faction ability or feature? Post away; I will review every comment and would be happy to discuss the idea with anyone who is interested. And remember, up voting without posting makes for a sad lore community!

EDIT: Woah, woah, woah. I come back from a late night anime binge to see that my thread from a few months ago got necroed by RiotForScience?

...I've gotta work more on this... in the morning..
O_O;

EDITEDIT: So many upvotes, but no bumps? I'll look like a chump if I keep having to do it myself. C'mon, guys :P

Veil

Recruiter

11-17-2013

Throughout the course of my entire time with League of Legends, I've loved reading fanfictions and people's own way to decipher the lore and how interesting the lore actually is. So many people heed almost no attention to the lore, and this is actually pretty sad.
Having a gamemode like this, combining gameplay and lore, is perfect and would make so many people happy.
Matchmaking would be difficult, would it not? There are obviously the two most popular factions (Noxus and Demacia) and then you would also have to match by ranking and level. That could result in lengthy queue times if people don't respond to the new gamemode. I feel like the queue times would drop with time as it becomes a more and more popular gamemode.
The gamemode needs time to ramp up.
There needs to be more work put into faction passives and game interaction. The Noxian passive for shield penetration is pretty unique and I love it. The movement speed buff needs more work though. Anyways,
Awesome idea bro
NotDisguised
I see you <3

Rioklu

11-17-2013

I think that this is a neat idea. I quite enjoy the lore of League and an official game mode might just make things more interesting.
I'm not all into the technical aspects (the Faction Abilities) but they look to be good. Might need a bit of tweaking.
Let's see what others think about it.

Regardless, nice idea!

Slovakattack

11-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotDisguised View Post
Throughout the course of my entire time with League of Legends, I've loved reading fanfictions and people's own way to decipher the lore and how interesting the lore actually is. So many people heed almost no attention to the lore, and this is actually pretty sad.
Having a gamemode like this, combining gameplay and lore, is perfect and would make so many people happy.
Matchmaking would be difficult, would it not? There are obviously the two most popular factions (Noxus and Demacia) and then you would also have to match by ranking and level. That could result in lengthy queue times if people don't respond to the new gamemode. I feel like the queue times would drop with time as it becomes a more and more popular gamemode.
The gamemode needs time to ramp up.
There needs to be more work put into faction passives and game interaction. The Noxian passive for shield penetration is pretty unique and I love it. The movement speed buff needs more work though. Anyways,
Awesome idea bro
NotDisguised
I see you <3
Those "Team Abilites" are just examples of what might be implemented. It's also important to take into example the champion pool that the ability will count towards. I've thought about the possibility of making the smaller factions be a requirement for play (e.g, every 'large' faction would have to 'hire' a 'smaller' faction, but that could very well turn into a lot of people twiddling their thumbs as a slot for their faction becomes available.

I definitely think that "Lore through gameplay" is the greatest aspect of this potential mode. It also fits with what Riot's been trying to do with the Abyss map (more interactive lore), and hopefully with future modes.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

01-14-2014
1 of 1 Riot Posts

I dig the idea a good bit. Anything That encourages people to get more involved in the world is fine by me. You may want to post the long form version in the main thread, I refer back to it pretty regularly. If the idea is just floating out here on GD I probably won't be able to find it again when I am looking for it.

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=4036715

CupcakeTrap

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-14-2014

If you're interested, there's already a community-powered version of this being run:

Name:  FactionsMirrorwaterSmall.jpg
Views: 1230
Size:  78.4 KB
Sign-Up Thread
A thread with more information on how to join in.

www.leaguefactions.net
Our site.

In-game chat for finding matches:
Name:  JoinChatButton-Marked.jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  20.3 KB

I think it's a really engaging way to bring the lore to life. The ways that limited rosters give factions distinct strengths and weaknesses promotes community strategizing, and helps bind factions together.

We're doing it in part just for our own fun, and in part in the hopes that Riot will notice and consider an official mode.

Tetheral

01-14-2014

I think this is amazing, and since the end of the JoJ we aren't getting enough lore D:
Carry on good Sir.

CupcakeTrap

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetheral View Post
I think this is amazing, and since the end of the JoJ we aren't getting enough lore D:
Carry on good Sir.
Come join us for a match sometime.

We're on our fourth story arc: Noxus versus Ionia. After the previous arc, much of Noxian territory is ruined, and refugees have dispersed across Runeterra. Ionia is refusing to let refugees settle on their islands (the same ones the Noxians invaded not too long ago), sparking a dispute before the League.

It's currently neck and neck, with a very slim advantage to Ionia.

Talohmiir

01-14-2014

I'd play it for sure. The only issue is that you would have to have at lease one champ in each faction that could perform one of the 5 roles. That or be able to choose from the "Mercenary" Champions. I'm a Rengar main, and would love to play him, but for who? I think you might consider taking some of the champions that are factionless and put them together, in kind of a ESO manner like they did for the Nords, Argonians, and Dark Elves, simply because they didn't want to be overrun by the other factions. This would create a "wild" faction that would have some internal conflict that would be fun to see and change as they worked together more.

Focus!!!!

Slovakattack

01-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
I dig the idea a good bit. Anything That encourages people to get more involved in the world is fine by me. You may want to post the long form version in the main thread, I refer back to it pretty regularly. If the idea is just floating out here on GD I probably won't be able to find it again when I am looking for it.

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=4036715

Woah, woah, woah. I come back from a late night anime binge to see that my thread from a few months ago got necroed by RiotForScience?

O_O

12345 ... 6